Which tablet do you carry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I scan and print my route on A4 paper before I go so don't carry a lot of maps. Although I do carry a narrow cut out of the complete route on a map as I like to look at the big picture. I admit I don't deviate much from the planned route and carry a map cutout that has a 50 mile corridor relating to the proposed route. I always have a return flight booked so I'm not going to alter things that much.
It's different if you are just taking off into the unknown, but I don't understand why you can't just buy a map as you go. I've found garage maps are fine for cycling. There is a lot of superflous heavy paper and cardboard on maps. I cut all that out so mine weigh very little.
I was on a large French camp site last year. At reception there were a lot of people sat under the shade with laptops, tablets etc. They were charging devices and using the free Wi-Fi. Nobody speaking, as all heads were buried in the net.
The lovely big swimming pool was empty. Great for me though after a long ride.:smile:

andym

Über Member
(currently looking to do this with a Hudl if it is/becomes possible)

I'm wondering whether a stylus and/or a bluetooth mouse might be a way around the difficulties of using route planning sites with a relatively small screen (and in my case, stumpy fingers).

@steveindenmark - I've yet to see route planning software for Android that's as good as iPlanMyroute for iOS so I suspect that you'd be better off putting your money into a MiFi modem and using it as a wireless card reader/writer to upload files from the iPad to the Garmin's SD card (see the previous threads on this topic) .

This comes to you on a new laptop I've been struggling with becaase of Msoft s*** - I certainly wouldn't want to go through all of this on a bike trip.

Other operating systems are available.

mcr

Veteran
I've used an HTC Flyer on my last two tours. Loaded with the Viewranger app and having its own GPS, it's all the navigational gadgetry I've needed (+ paper maps as backup) and it can work with gpx files. It's not been so good for working with text - trying to write up CGOAB journals nightly proved too tiresome. The 7" model's not that light, but it's rugged and in its leatherette case sits neatly under the lid of my Ortlieb bar-bag and coped with plenty of use on the go. It's also my Kindle, browser and backup camera, without the fiddliness of smartphones. It's a two-year-old model so probably long superseded by now.

andym

Über Member
I've used an HTC Flyer on my last two tours. Loaded with the Viewranger app and having its own GPS, it's all the navigational gadgetry I've needed (+ paper maps as backup) and it can work with gpx files.

There are a number of apps on Android (aimed at smartphone users) that enable you to use your smartphone/tablet as a gps, including auto routing and downloading tracks from a website. I've not found one yet that enables you to plan a route and then export the gpx file for use on another device (or at least one that is anything like as useful as iPlanMyRoute on iOS). Apologies if Viewranger does let you do this and I haven't worked out how.

A 7-inch tablet as a an overgrown gps is certainly nice and legible and easy to zoom and scroll around - so a pretty good map substitute, but I'm not sure about battery life over a long day - and of course you have to be able to charge it up every night.

If you want to type then there are foldable/rollable Bluetooth keyboards that look quite attractive. You could also try dictating into it (I haven't tried this on android but it is there).

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I like the 7" tablet(Zeki) for weather and alerts as well as android functions. If the weather is severe enough, T-Mobile calls me on the cell phone if a tornado warning has been issued.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I would still consider a smartphone, Samsung galaxy s3, or s4, LG Google nexus 5 for example are compact but very usable alternatives to a tablet or a PC

As for dictating, Google voice is the default app for that, it works as long as you have a 3G connection to Google.

There are loads of gps , mapping and tracking apps, from map my ride, strava and even Google tracks and Google maps. You could also keep your ride log on Google plus or a blogging app. (I'm not a Google salesperson btw) :pump:

jay clock

Massive member
On my last long tour I took a netbook, but with power adapter it was close to 1.3kg. Now got an iPad mini with Logitech bluetooth keyboard which weighs about 600g all in. Can copy pics from SD card using an adapter. Power life is amazing, compared with bigger netbooks. Also boots up in seconds. I use paper maps but also take jogs of maps that I store on there.

In answer to Jim's question as to why anyone wants to type, I respect the fact that he doesn't, but I created this http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/julian2012 by typing every evening, which I loved doing. And I would HATE to be hand-writing it in a book and creating the journal later when a) I would not have the time, and b) my friends and family would have lost interest in the trip

Can somebody explain why they need to be typing on tour? I can't see it. I understand why one would make notes of their journey, but I have a tiny notebook for this and a small pencil. If I want electronic notes my blackberrry serves me well.
Just reading all the suggestions about keyboards, laptops, tablets, netbooks seems to be a complicated expensive process compared to a little notebook that you can scribble in and even make sketches. On one tour I printed my maps out with one side blank and used this as a notepad. Worked very well.
Oh and nobody wants to nick it.

Some of us are in jobs where it may be necessary to be contacted or keep up with work projects

bigjim

Legendary Member
Some of us are in jobs where it may be necessary to be contacted or keep up with work projects
Oh I've been there done that one. But then I had my mobile for contact.
As I said it's everybody to their own. It's just not my thing. I don't write a book, just small notes to remind me of events. I don't note down mileages or towns, village names etc. I'm not that interested in the history of places either. I'm not really a good tourist. I'm more interested in the people I meet and little incidents.
I not enough of a wordsmith to write a journal for the likes of Crazyguy. I'm more likely to write a short blog like this I did last year. Probably just a lazy git.:rolleyes:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=63550.0

In answer to Jim's question as to why anyone wants to type, I respect the fact that he doesn't, but I created this http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/julian2012 by typing every evening, which I loved doing. And I would HATE to be hand-writing it in a book and creating the journal later when a) I would not have the time, and b) my friends and family would have lost interest in the trip
I like reading crazyguy and I would encourage you to keep at it.

But your fear that folk would have lost interest by the time you returned made me smile - was nattering to a youngster the other day about folks constantly posting to FB while on holiday (around London tourists are doing it all the time) - they get back - excitedly ring up their pals for the traditional return drink, shoot the breeze, tell folk what they've been up to, show them the pics - the friends tell them not to bother - they already know all about it :smile:

For what it is worth I have used an iPad touring. I jailbreaked it to give more functionality on the road. Not a cheap option but.

Andrew

SNAP(ish)!

The only differences are that I use a Garmin 810 for the Bluetooth connectivity and I use WiFi cards in the cameras. I don't use a keyboard, preferring the "dictate option"

I also use an Otterbox case as this is more protective

Finally I keep a separate Wireless portable drive (Airstash) which I back up everything on to so that should the Ipad fail / go astray etc, then everything is safe. Capacity is "unlimited" as it takes 128 Gb SDXC cards

The Airstash can also be used to read camera SD cards to the Ipad so you can forget the camera connector

As a "joke" I have also fitted the Ipad as a SatNav!

file-7.jpg

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Jim,

I have a mate on the Moto Guzzi forum who was totally against laptop, I pads and smart phones when touring. He was aggressively anti, well as aggressive as you can get on a computer.

Then someone lent him a GPS and now he is competing with Bill Gates for how much technical gear he can get.
My phone is the type Starsky and Hutch used to lug around.

I am pretty much incommunicado when I am out of Denmark because my phone does not work when I leave the country. I use the I pad because I make books of my travels and also use the map features on it. But most of my navigation is done by map and sun.

Steve

Top Bottom