Whisky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisc

Guru
I'll tell me dad :smile:
The barrels do lose to evaporation. The angels share they call it. I always liked that idea.

donnydave

Über Member
Laphroaig is the absolute most greatest stuff ever. Saw some hiding on a shelf in the hotel bar when recently in Glasgow for work so I availed myself of it. A colleague of mine asked what type it was so I said its quite peaty. Barman helpfully added, "Peaty isn't the word for this stuff, its antiseptic" My other colleague stood at the other side of the room immediately shouts "who's just opened the laphroaig? I can smell it from here"

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Laphroaig is the absolute most greatest stuff ever. Saw some hiding on a shelf in the hotel bar when recently in Glasgow for work so I availed myself of it. A colleague of mine asked what type it was so I said its quite peaty. Barman helpfully added, "Peaty isn't the word for this stuff, its antiseptic" My other colleague stood at the other side of the room immediately shouts "who's just opened the laphroaig? I can smell it from here"

Gorgeous!

Ardbeg smells of stale urine and stale fag ash, but tastes remarkable.

donnydave

Über Member
Bloke I was chatting to in a bar in Edinburgh last year put me on to Talisker, doesn't have the same gravitas and other-worldliness as more revered whiskies but I find it quite agreeable.

edit: just read back through previous posts, glad to see talisker already mentioned

Before I am hung out to dry (I was born in Glasgow)... has anyone tried any of the Irish Whiskey's? Bushmills 1608 (400th anniversary) is wonderful. can't afford it mind you but the free (triple fingered measure) sample as part of the distillery tour was amazing... tis one of the few blended whiskeys I have really enjoyed http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-7794.aspx

Also anyone come across the Connemara whiskey from the Cooley distillery? I was given a bottle for my 40th but am still working my way down another bottle of whisky I have open at the moment. The IWSC gave it a gold medal in 2012 - tis another peaty one apparently.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Before I am hung out to dry (I was born in Glasgow)... has anyone tried any of the Irish Whiskey's? Bushmills 1608 (400th anniversary) is wonderful. can't afford it mind you but the free (triple fingered measure) sample as part of the distillery tour was amazing... tis one of the few blended whiskeys I have really enjoyed http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-7794.aspx

Also anyone come across the Connemara whiskey from the Cooley distillery? I was given a bottle for my 40th but am still working my way down another bottle of whisky I have open at the moment. The IWSC gave it a gold medal in 2012 - tis another peaty one apparently.

I've not tried much Irish whiskey, but I am impressed you knew that Irish whiskey is spelt with an 'e' :smile:

I used to turn my nose up at anything blended but it turns out that some of them are really very nice.

Teachers, Bells, Grants etc can all 'leave the area by copulating' though.

jayonabike