Who rides in basic trainers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyWilliams

Über Member
I dont have the clip in bike shoes, toe clips or power grips. I get on fine with basic trainers, feel very comfortable.
Just wondering of my performance would be better if I had clip in bike shoes or toe clips.
Are they worth it. I ride a road bike about 80 miles a week, increasing.
Thanks

ScotiaLass

Guru
I ride in trainers. The trail running shoes are better, as the soles are stiffer, but I go with what's comfy for my feet!

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I ride on trainers, but I would like to use cycling shoes - however, cleats scare me and I cannot find hard soled shoes that are cleat-less ...

So, yes, I wear trainers

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's a personal thing as we aren't all built the same, and cycle for different reasons with different goals.
I tried SPDs and they didn't suit me. They gave me foot cramps, then sore knees and sore hips. Set up was probably wrong despite much fettling, but how you ever find the correct set up I don't know, as it takes time for the problems to manifest themselves.
I gave up, went back to flats with trainers (or whatever shoes are handy) and TBH I don't notice any difference in speed. Having said that I ride for enjoyment not punishment and at age 52 I have no ambitions to be super fit or super fast. I cover the miles at a leisurely pace and that suits me fine.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I ride on trainers, but I would like to use cycling shoes - however, cleats scare me and I cannot find hard soled shoes that are cleat-less ...
Mountain bike SPD shoes can be used without cleats attached if you want as the sole is rubber, but the shoe itself is much stiffer.

I use trainers if I'm just out casually or on the MTB where I use pinned flat pedals. I'm using a pair of "adventure" trainers from Mountain Warehouse. I use SPD or Look pedals for long road trips however. SPD if I'm commuting for ease of clipping in/out and the Looks on the best bike where I'm not doing stop/start. I find them more comfortable for longer rides.

Clipless pedals (actually they clip on) are said to be one of the most important discoveries in cycling. It makes you pedal in circular motion and if properly fitted, correct movements of ankle and other joints in the foot. But you need to get used to it. I am too clumsy and scared to use them for fear of fal

Next closest is clips and you can easily attach them to pedals. I use them. The biggest advantage is that you maintain a same position of the foot. It is the correct position as well. More than the speed, it is comfortable. Disadvantage is that it is not easy to use with office shoes or even some trainers.

I use ordinary pedals when I have to cycle with my office shoes.
Yet another reason why one should have several bikes....

Just wondering of my performance would be better if I had clip in bike shoes or toe clips.
Are they worth it.

Yes, your performance will be better. Being clipped in is key to winnng races, but if you're not racing, flats and trainers are fine.

I think they're worth it and can't see myself ever going back to flats.

D

Deleted member 1258

I wear whatever footwear I want to use, trainers, steel toe capped boots or cycle shoes, one bike has clips and straps, I can use what ever boots and shoes I want with these, the other bike has clipless, I'm restricted to cycle shoes with clipless.

Brandane

Legendary Member
The biggest advantage is that you maintain a same position of the foot. It is the correct position as well.
That is something I would question, again bearing in mind that we are all built differently.
I was out today, in trainers as usual. I was consciously noting my foot position on the pedal in different situations, and I noticed that I have a tendency to move my feet slightly back on the pedals when putting in extra effort - climbing hills for example. On flat ground or downhill, the feet are slightly forward.
I blame the cleats holding my feet in one constant position for the foot cramps from which I suffered while using SPDs..

young Ed

Veteran
only cycling shoes (spd-sl) here and i love it and would never go back. although i do admit i nicked my brothers biek to go to work round the corner the other day as i was running late and didn't have time for clipless (work is on a farm in steel toe capped dealer boots)
Cheers Ed

sutts

I have tried the spd type cleats several times now. I always end up with aching knees, so I go back to trainers. I think, like others perhaps, that I move my feet quite a lot, so for me these don't work too well. That said, it is faster with cleats, there is no doubt about that at all in my opinion.

KneesUp

Guru
only cycling shoes (spd-sl) here and i love it and would never go back. although i do admit i nicked my brothers biek to go to work round the corner the other day as i was running late and didn't have time for clipless (work is on a farm in steel toe capped dealer boots)
Cheers Ed
I used to ride my road bike with toe-clips in steel toe-capped Doc Martens (fashion not function I will admit) - toe-clips are much better for versatility :smile:

Top Bottom