Why Do you support bike companies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i ask this in all seriousness, I had a Fuji that was stolen, and I spent like $2800 u.s. loved the gravel bike and it was aluminum (did the carbon thing) So now I am building my own and at 46 I've ridden expensive and the dept store we all grew up on. So for this aluminum gravel bike. Total cost $781.00us with 60mm air fork 12speed hydraulic brakes ceramic bottom bracket 46-30 up front and 11-46 in the back I've looked and aside from an 8speed Walmart bike there is nothing like this being sold but we can build ANY KIND so why do we choose to support them please tell me your thoughts, yes this did cost me 2 months to price hunt parts and many prior bike builds, but a child can do this, I've seen many. Here is a photo of the frame to start and that price did include WHEELS LOL

Maybe because we're all different?

As a matter of interest, who made your frame and the components you used? Were they not made by 'bike companies'?
If knock offs, remember they're knock offs of products developed by the bike companies.

I take issue with your assertion that a child can 'do this'. It's needlessly confrontational.
Not every child. And the children that can will need a substantial investment in tools, probably some decent space in which to work and the domestic situation to support it.

It may be a tad more complicated than initially thought. No Bike Companies then no big tours, races and the like. At least not on the same scale. That means less money in R&D and eventually the trickle down effects to 'normal' users just stop. And not just bikes. Clothing, tech & software too. It also mean less new people becoming interested in the first place. I'm guessing you're in the U.S.? It's more people on bikes you need, not less.

You don't like bike companies? The solution is simple - don't use them.

DogmaStu

When I was 18 I bought a used Alan frame / fork and slowly added the components as I managed to save for them, literally piece by piece. It was a great joy assembling myself as I went along. A year long project before the bike was ready to race.

That was then.

Now I buy the bike I want complete and service it myself. I have no major preference in that I don't 'support' any brand more than any others - I like them all.

EckyH

There is nothing like this being sold but we can build ANY KIND. So why do we choose to support them?
Bike companies are commercial entities. Commercial entities in the first approximation have the primary purpose to generate profits.
That's also the case for every commercial frame builder or parts manufacturer.

Bike companies define target groups for every model. They try to address target groups as big as possible on one hand and try to reduce costs on the other hand. That's why there are many comparable bike models from different companies. And "surprisingly" the bike models match the expectations of the target group. Of course the bike companies try - successfully - to influence the expectations of the target group: "More aero!" "More gears!" "Less chainrings!" "Internal hydraulic pipe routing!" "Electronic shifting!" "New and final bottom bracket 'standard'!!"

Some people like you and probably me are (in my case: stubborn) fairly picky for features and components. The thing is: nor are we in the target groups neither is our "group" big enough to be considered as a target group for complete bicycles.

Fortunately we have choices. You decided to built up your own bicycle which matches your specific needs.
For my ride to work I need a fairly fast commuter and here in Germany the analogon to the "Cycle to work" scheme requires the purchase of a complete bike. That's why I searched for a model which is a usable base for optimisation afterwards: quick release axles, BSA bottom bracket, steel frame, external cable routing, mechanical disc brakes, price below 2000€, fairly steep head angle, fairly long head tube, tyre clearance for at least 32mm with mudguards etc. pp. In 2020 the The Light Blue Robinson V2 Sora (yes, that brand name contains a noun marker - a bit like the satirical German party "Die Partei" ("The party")) was the complete bicycle which was not as far away from my needs as other models from other brands. So it was a mercantilistic decision: buy that bicycle and live with it's shortcomings like proprietary chainrings, no double butted spokes, 50/34 chainrings and 11-28 cassette, heavy tyres with high rolling resistance and nearly nonexistent puncture protection or build the commuter on my own without the advantages of the "Cycle to work" scheme. I decided for the complete bicycle and optimised it bit by bit.

E.

Last edited:
OP
OP
macmanpapi

macmanpapi

This isn't a grammar, spelling or English language forum.

A relatively new forum member, who does not yet have a their Linguistics and English Language PhD, shared their experience and asked about other peoples experience. You decided it wasn't for you, but rather than ignore it, you post a 'smart' half-hostile response. And then double down on it.

What is the matter with you? Do you want a welcoming forum where people learn and grow or do you want a clique?

Personally, I'm saddened that someone stole the OPs last bike and happy that they found a way back from that which they could afford.

Thank you sir

OP
OP
macmanpapi

macmanpapi

Funny in A free world we all have the choice of respect, But that's to ones self first, if u do u tend to simply respect others and act how we want to be treated, especially in a place where we don't have the fact that disrespect is met with life and death where I'm from, so I tend to be very respectful, but I don't have to be if u cross the line I will be a devil if needed. So all of those take that as my intro aside from that be Blessed Always Ride and Have Fun,

Attachments

• fjW8K7R2W_3G9vmdQHLgiMMOEHbdNmqER8EOpG1OZO8-2048x1365.jpg
    fjW8K7R2W_3G9vmdQHLgiMMOEHbdNmqER8EOpG1OZO8-2048x1365.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
macmanpapi

macmanpapi

What is your hourly rate for sourcing and building your bike? Your bought bike is $2000 more. 2 months is 8 weeks to build. Is that not worth a big chunk of this 2k. For me it would be all of it and then some.

i charge 500 for hr sir do u need a Media company please use me if u need

Top Bottom