Why no aero bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
i just about managed to get some on my old virtuoso , might have a word with planet x as they do sell them , purely for solo rides mind .
Let me know how you get on with them as I'm always a complete sucker for blowing my hard earned cash on some new shiny bits for my bike I'm interested in adding an important aero aid which will help my riding no end.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Let me know how you get on with them as I'm always a complete sucker for blowing my hard earned cash on some new shiny bits for my bike I'm interested in adding an important aero aid which will help my riding no end.
LOL !
When soo i do tend to ride forearms on the tops anyway semi aero as i can get , no back issues so maybe i just need to take a spacer out .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
In the good old days of spinaccis there were loads of crashes blamed on riders having their hands on the extensions and not near the brake levers. Hence their banning.
Which is probably true, but now you see riders just resting their forearms on the tops of the bars and not actually holding on to anything, which must be even more dangerous!

When Dura Ace shifters had external cables, riders used to hang onto them.

Which is probably true, but now you see riders just resting their forearms on the tops of the bars and not actually holding on to anything, which must be even more dangerous!

When Dura Ace shifters had external cables, riders used to hang onto them.
Also true, I'd like to see the practice banned but how do you phrase a rule that achieves this without outlawing lots of other rider actions that also require the hands not on the bars.

fimm

Veteran
Triathletes tend not to ride in such tight bunches as racing cyclists, though. Also I'm fairly sure that only the very short clip on bars are allowed in draft-legal triathlon races.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Triathletes tend not to ride in such tight bunches as racing cyclists, though. Also I'm fairly sure that only the very short clip on bars are allowed in draft-legal triathlon races.
Generally because they aren't allowed, drafting is banned in pretty much all races. Elite Olympic distance triathletes can use stubby aero bars that don't protrude beyond the hoods

fimm

Veteran
Generally because they aren't allowed, drafting is banned in pretty much all races. Elite Olympic distance triathletes can use stubby aero bars that don't protrude beyond the hoods
Correct. I was assuming that at least some people reading the thread will only be familiar with that style of racing and my not realise that it is different in amateur and long-distance races (actually my boyfriend once did an amateur draft-legal race, but that was on Mallorca. I don't think there are any in the UK.)

Top Bottom