Why not keep your mudguards on all year round?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Some of the group i go out with on a Wednesday say they can't wait till the clocks go forward so they can take the mudguards off their bikes. Why, does it stop raining then till the clocks go back in October? i ask.:rolleyes: I've been pulled up for turning up on a bike without mudguards, even on a dry winter's day. Why does it have to be so methodical? We get rain in spring and summer so does that not count because it's warmer rain splashing up from the wheels? I try and judge the weather before a ride then either use a bike with guards or not. I don't automatically stop using mudguards in the spring then automatically put them on in the autumn. Infact why don't we keep them on all year round? They weigh very little and they're there if caught out in a summer downpour!

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Winter bike and summer bike, take the winter bike if it's raining.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
I'm toying with leaving them on my trike this year. I'm gonna use it for audax like mentioned above, plus I quite like the way they look. Plus I don't get sleeve fulls of diluted cow sh1t from the front wheels any more... bonus :okay:

coco69

Veteran
Off because they are a pain in the arse

potsy

Rambler
2 bikes with permanent full guards, don't see the point of taking them off in the summer.

1 bike that doesn't have them and is only used in dry weather.

Top Bottom