Why ride in the middle of the road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why the middle
"Why do cyclists ride in the middle of the road? Because they're allowed to: a poster from the Department for Transport advises "Cyclists. Ride central on narrow roads."think.direct.gov.uk/cycling.html

See those potholes? Not good for your suspension, are they? To cyclists, they're not just inconvenient they're lethal. The cyclist up ahead might be in the middle of the road for a few seconds in order to avoid a big gash in the ground. Cyclists are expert pothole - spotters. Use this inside knowledge to prevent costly damage to your car's suspension."

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Cyclists ride on the wrong side here, don't know why. Collided with one a while back.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Whatever happened to those public awareness films they used to make. The ones that used to get the point over but also stick in your mind forever.
They would be useful for getting all manner of messages across.

you know the ones I mean:

"Look theres a man in a dingy Mildred"

"Yes dear"

" OOOh look, he´s waving at us. Coooey, Cooey, lovely day int it?"

"HELP....dial 999 and ask for the coastguard".

"Well, I never".

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Whatever happened to those public awareness films they used to make. The ones that used to get the point over but also stick in your mind forever.
They would be useful for getting all manner of messages across.

you know the ones I mean:

"Look theres a man in a dingy Mildred"

"Yes dear"

" OOOh look, he´s waving at us. Coooey, Cooey, lovely day int it?"

"HELP....dial 999 and ask for the coastguard".

"Well, I never".

That's what i've been saying for ages regarding informing the anti cyclist brigade about the dangers cyclists face on the roads,and the consequences if some motorists decide to ignore the highway code and put cyclists in danger.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
That's what i've been saying for ages regarding informing the anti cyclist brigade about the dangers cyclists face on the roads,and the consequences if some motorists decide to ignore the highway code and put cyclists in danger.
And the "Charlie says ******** ***** ****** ** " ones were good.
Much better than the
tufty_6b.jpg
Tufty Club I remember as a kid.

wintergreen

Its a pity this guy isn't around anymore,

moo

Riding in the middle of the road is dangerous and just asking for someone to undertake. I tend to ride in the middle of the lane.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Riding in the middle of the road is dangerous and just asking for someone to undertake. I tend to ride in the middle of the lane.
Precisely. Besides I find the pounding from the cat's eyes a bit much to take and the white lines are so slippery. But every car driver that has abused me for taking primary has claimed I was in the "middle of the road." Nobbers.

Top Bottom