Why won't my Carrot wine clear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Why won't my Carrot wine clear? I used pectolase initially, and as it wasn't clearing after fermentation ceased, I added some wine finings about a month ago.
The starting S.G was 1.105 with a finishing S.G of 1.005

DSC_3546.JPG

The bottled Apple wine, frequently hard to get clear, however, is perfect.

Grrr.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Did you use a fine mesh bag for straining the fruit? Never made carrot myself, but IME the size of the mesh and the size of the pieces forming the pulp can make a difference. I also thought that with vegetable wines, you tended to boil the vegetable until soft. Did you let them get too soft?

The SG is good enough to bottle, so personally I'd bottle it and leave it. 1 year minimum I think for carrot.
IME the length of time the fruit/veg is in the bucket can also make a big difference. Apple I can go up to two weeks in the bucket for the intial ferment. Beyond that the fruit breaks down too much and makes the clearing process much longer.

I had a clearing problem with marrow wine a couple of years ago, because of the way the pulp broke down in the intial ferment, but knowing that has to be in the bottle 6 -9 months before drinking and experience with other wines, I wasn't too bothered.

Once bottled, whatever the wine, we put it under the house and leave it for a minimum 12 months. That gives it plenty of time to clear. If necessary just siphon before before serving.

Edit. We store our bottles vertically, so the fine sediment settling isn't a problem.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Did you use a fine mesh bag for straining the fruit? Never made carrot myself, but IME the size of the mesh and the size of the pieces forming the pulp can make a difference. I also thought that with vegetable wines, you tended to boil the vegetable until soft. Did you let them get too soft?

The SG is good enough to bottle, so personally I'd bottle it and leave it. 1 year minimum I think for carrot.
IME the length of time the fruit/veg is in the bucket can also make a big difference. Apple I can go up to two weeks in the bucket for the intial ferment. Beyond that the fruit breaks down too much and makes the clearing process much longer.

I had a clearing problem with marrow wine a couple of years ago, because of the way the pulp broke down in the intial ferment, but knowing that has to be in the bottle 6 -9 months before drinking and experience with other wines, I wasn't too bothered.

Once bottled, whatever the wine, we put it under the house and leave it for a minimum 12 months. That gives it plenty of time to clear. If necessary just siphon before before serving.

Edit. We store our bottles vertically, so the fine sediment settling isn't a problem.
I maybe simmered it for too long, not sure, but I do like to get every last bit of flavour out of the veg or fruit I use.
I'll leave it in the demi-john for another month and see what happens. I added a crushed Campden tab when I syphoned it off this morning to stop any secondary fermentation.. Watch this space :smile:

P.S.Must try marrow wine when they are in season.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

I syphoned it off a bit of sediment this morning. Not much, to be honest, but wanted to give it more of a chance to settle and see how it's progressing.
The wine was started last September so should be better than this by now.

Parsnip wine is nectar. My Nanna used to make it, and my last lot is just like hers. :cheers::blink:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I maybe simmered it for too long, not sure, but I do like to get every last bit of flavour out of the veg or fruit I use.
I'll leave it in the demi-john for another month and see what happens. I added a crushed Campden tab when I syphoned it off this morning to stop any secondary fermentation.. Watch this space :smile:

P.S.Must try marrow wine when they are in season.

So do I, but sometimes you pay the price through fine sediment,

If you have the bottles I wouldn't give up on it. You bottle it and what's the worst that could happen; it is undrinkable after 12 months? On the other hand you could have something that was worth the wait.

I remember my Dad made potato wine and that was awful everytime we tried it for 6 months. So he put it in the cellar and we forgot about it for 18 months. After dandelion wine, it was our favourite and this was by someone who regulalry made a variety of fruit and vegetable wines.

I've only had one I gave up on; orange.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

I've tried loads of stuff to make wine with over the years. Nettles, oak leaves, tea, as well as the more usual parsnips and potatoes. (Parsnip never turned out too tasty for me, and potato is notoriously tricky to clear due to the high starch content.)

Part of my problem is that I rarely follow a tried as tested recipe, I just wing it!!
Normally darned tasty though.. :cheers:

Top Bottom