Why won't my Carrot wine clear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Dad over years made: apple, grape, parsnip, tea, potato, dandelion, elderberry, blackberry, elderflower and rosehip. Apple (crab apples), rosehip and eldberberry were annuals, with the others as and when he felt like it When he died and my mum had to move house, she found around 200 bottles in the cellar.
His worst failure was a couple of gallons of banana. But that was an adapt another recipe and make it fit banana. ^_^

My wife and I do apple annually from our own trees, with others depending upon what else we have surplus of in the garden. Made rosehip, grape, orange, blueberry, blackberry, blackcurrant, elderberry, parsnip, marrow and strawberry. Put around 80 bottles of apple under the house just before Christmas., which will not see the light of day again until Christmas 2016.:becool:

fimm

Veteran
Tea wine? How does that work?
My parents used to make wine for a while when we were young. I recall a lettuce wine and a hawthorn wine neither of which were successful, so they mixed the two together - the result was known as "lethal" - I don't know if they managed to drink all of it... xx(

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Dad over years made: apple, grape, parsnip, tea, potato, dandelion, elderberry, blackberry, elderflower and rosehip. Apple (crab apples), rosehip and eldberberry were annuals, with the others as and when he felt like it When he died and my mum had to move house, she found around 200 bottles in the cellar.
His worst failure was a couple of gallons of banana. But that was an adapt another recipe and make it fit banana. ^_^

My wife and I do apple annually from our own trees, with others depending upon what else we have surplus of in the garden. Made rosehip, grape, orange, blueberry, blackberry, blackcurrant, elderberry, parsnip, marrow and strawberry. Put around 80 bottles of apple under the house just before Christmas., which will not see the light of day again until Christmas 2016.:becool:

I usually go out on the bike and pick blackberries and elderberries for a lovely red wine. The apples come from a friends fathers trees in Rugby for which he receives a couple of bottles of the finished product. Other wines get made when I see a good deal on something.

Tea wine? How does that work?
My parents used to make wine for a while when we were young. I recall a lettuce wine and a hawthorn wine neither of which were successful, so they mixed the two together - the result was known as "lethal" - I don't know if they managed to drink all of it... xx(

Quite basic really, make 6 pints of tea, add sugar, some lemon juice and some raisins. Add yeast and nutrient and leave for 5 days then strain into a clean demijohn and top up to the neck of the demijohn once fermentation had slowed.. Sorted.

Wine can be made out of most fruits and vegetables, some are more successful than others!!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
We had an Italian neighbour when I was a kid, who used to make his own wine. He had some massive spherical green bottles which he used to bury in the garden. I never tasted the end product, but I presume it was some kind of fizzy white.

fimm

Veteran
Quite basic really, make 6 pints of tea, add sugar, some lemon juice and some raisins. Add yeast and nutrient and leave for 5 days then strain into a clean demijohn and top up to the neck of the demijohn once fermentation had slowed.. Sorted.
Ahhh... I was wondering where the sugar came from!

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

BUMP

DSC_0529.JPG

It's still not clear, so I've renamed it.... Makes it look like I did it on purpose :whistle:

U

User482

BUMP

View attachment 148395

It's still not clear, so I've renamed it.... Makes it look like I did it on purpose :whistle:
Ha! I think you said in the OP that you added pectolase after fermentation? That's unlikely to work: it needs adding before fermentation, because the enzyme is intolerant of alcohol. I add pectolase and a campden tablet to the pulp or juice, and leave it for 24 hours before pitching activated yeast.

Out of the wines I've made in the last year (apple, loganberry, gooseberry, rhubarb and grape) only one has refused to clear. I'll probably run it through a Vinbrite filter.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There was an old fella lived up the road from me who made a lot of wine (and I mean a lot, probably 60 demijohns on the go and more waiting for him to fill) who had the perfect answer to cloudy wine. He had a still in his shed and knew how to use it, anything that wouldn't clear went through that.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

This is the only wine that absolutely refuses to clear. It doesn't taste too bad though (but I couldn't 'test' the end product today as I'm driving :sad: )
I used pectolase initially, before fermentation, then Finings after it stopped as it still wasn't clearing.

This years' batch, some fermenting, some jut started, includes Blackberry, Elderberry, Plum and Apple.

:smile:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
About to get this year's apple started myself. Maybe tomorrow or Friday. The tree looks good for 25+ kilos. Toyed with pear this year, but then decided my tree had only enough for about 4 - 5 litres, so chose to eat them instead. ^_^
Have a marrow wine which has been under the house for a couple of years now and that is now begining to taste good.

Top Bottom