Wiggin's blood profile

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I can see the point of what they've done, and it seems to indicate that he hasn't been engaging in anything that would change blood composition.

I think it's great that he's done this.

In contrast, let's look at the behaviour of Ricco, who is not challenging his 24-month suspension, even though he admitted he is guilty (eventually).

Hont

Guru
Yep. This is definitely what the sport needs. Kudos to Wiggo.

Shame we need someone to interpret it, though - several miles over my head. Can they not just have a big gauge that runs from honest, through slightly dodgy, to cheating bastard? ;-)

Bigtwin

Hont said:

Shame we need someone to interpret it, though - several miles over my head. Can they not just have a big gauge that runs from honest, through slightly dodgy, to cheating bastard? ;-)

They have just made one. It's a dial with Wiggo at one end and Bertie at the other.

mangaman

Hont said:

The interpretation is a bit difficult I reckon Hont

There are very few data points and all it shows is that his haemoglobin level has been stable for the figures he's given.

The "off score" is an artificial number which averages his haemoglobin and reticulocyte count. Retics are new red cells, so after a blast of EPO would shoot up.

Incidentally 85-95 is usually taken as a normal off score.

I think it's a great move by Bradley

I would love it to be a regular thing ie he publishes the values all year round at regular intervals even during the off season.

A cynic may say he has chosen 4 data points on each graph to prove a point.

mangaman said:
The interpretation is a bit difficult I reckon Hont

There are very few data points and all it shows is that his haemoglobin level has been stable for the figures he's given.

The "off score" is an artificial number which averages his haemoglobin and reticulocyte count. Retics are new red cells, so after a blast of EPO would shoot up.

Incidentally 85-95 is usually taken as a normal off score.

I think it's a great move by Bradley

I would love it to be a regular thing ie he publishes the values all year round at regular intervals even during the off season.

A cynic may say he has chosen 4 data points on each graph to prove a point.
I guess he's published the data for the tests that he underwent during the Tour, hence the relatively small number of data points. If he follows up on his promise to publish the rest of his data since 2003 would that be more robust?

Just out of interest, because I'm as much of a layman as anyone on here, what would the transfusion of 500ml of stored blood do to the values? As I understand it autologous transfusion is still talked about as being very hard to detect but on an intuitive level surely it would boost haematocrit and be easy to spot?

mangaman

Chuffy said:
I guess he's published the data for the tests that he underwent during the Tour, hence the relatively small number of data points. If he follows up on his promise to publish the rest of his data since 2003 would that be more robust?

Just out of interest, because I'm as much of a layman as anyone on here, what would the transfusion of 500ml of stored blood do to the values? As I understand it autologous transfusion is still talked about as being very hard to detect but on an intuitive level surely it would boost haematocrit and be easy to spot?

I guess it would push up your haematocrit but only for a few hours - especially if you drank a lot of water. Especially if you transfuse smaller volumes more regularly.

I think that's why teams are so anti having blod tests in the morning of the race.

I don't think it would affect your "off score" either for the same reason

I agree Brad's numbers from 2003 would be interesting - the more data in the public domain the better I'd say.

Hopefully there's a haematologist in the house

mangaman said:
I guess it would push up your haematocrit but only for a few hours - especially if you drank a lot of water. Especially if you transfuse smaller volumes more regularly.

I think that's why teams are so anti having blod tests in the morning of the race.
Could you explain that last bit for the hard of understanding (ie, me)? Are you saying that morning bloods would be more reliable as a way of highlighting naughtiness?

mangaman

I'm no expert but I believe if I were doping I would micro-dope with blood / Epo every day in the late evening.

All my figures would look consistant if on the high side of average
The drug tests are done in post race and occasionally evening

Lance isn't keen on morning testing for example

http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/tre56g53v-us-cycling-tour-armstrong/

By "topping yorself up" with some red cells 30 mins pre-start you'd never get tested
By the end of the stage your body's homeostatic system will have normalised your blood values and Bob's your uncle ; if you happen to get tested at the end you'll come out smelling of roses.

Just my opinion of course

By "topping yorself up" with some red cells 30 mins pre-start you'd never get tested
By the end of the stage your body's homeostatic system will have normalised your blood values and Bob's your uncle ; if you happen to get tested at the end you'll come out smelling of roses.

Just my opinion of course
Gotcha. That's what I thought you were saying, but I wasn't certain. Thanks for the clarification.

Lance isn't keen on morning testing for example
You surprise me...:sad:

Jonathan M

Post Pantani's death a lot was made of the variability in his blood results, so Wiggins/Garmin allowing this info to become public is a very straightforward way of refuting some of the less than subtle "suggestions" that arose in the french press.

Good on him.

bigtoe

Über Member
On another site there was something about a wonder drug turning all the fast twitch fibres to slow twich a lot better for the top cyclists not Cav though and also a super fat burning drug both of which arnt being looked for in testing and both nowt to do with blood values as i read it.

Top Bottom