Wiggins' physique

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Fitting a profile would mean he wasn't a "character" surely?
I'd say Brad, Sagan and Cav have got more character than the rest of the pro peloton put together.

Exactly. I like Tommy Voeckler too, even though he also winds up the rest of the peloton by being overdramatic, apparently. There's a real tall poppies thing in pro-cycling. Racing culture doesn't like those who stick out.

Crankarm

Guru
We ain't got a chance getting to their power/weight ratios. I was stood next to a load of Pros at the Tour of Turkey a couple of years ago, and they are like stick insects. Now compared to Chris Hoy, I am a midget !

....... but nearly half as sexy as Vicky P ;).

Crankarm

Guru
I believe Marco Pantani weighed in at around 58kg ......... without drugs.

The disgraced Rasmussen looked extremely thin at one point.

This is what happens if riders take a lot of performance enhancing products ..........................

OP
OP
ayceejay

ayceejay

Guru
So why is it only the top Tour Pro riders that look stick thin and not your average endurance cyclist whether professional or not?
The answer to that question may be self evident.

Crankarm

Guru
you just answered your own question.. ;)

So you are suggesting that to be a really good climber / distance bike rider, Pros need to be stick thin to keep weight down but need performance enhancing products / stimulants because their muscle strength and endurance is so much depleted by being in a constant state of ultra thinness?

So you are suggesting that to be a really good climber / distance bike rider, Pros need to be stick thin to keep weight down but need performance enhancing products / stimulants because their muscle strength and endurance is so much depleted by being in a constant state of ultra thinness?

nope - I didn't say that. I didn't even mention drugs - you did.

al78

Guru
So why is it only the top Tour Pro riders that look stick thin and not your average endurance cyclist whether professional or not? No need to be so touchy.

I'm stick thin and I'm neither professional nor an endurance cyclist (see my avatar).

oldroadman

Veteran
The reason that top pros today are thin is simply because they train a lot. They carry less weight than in previous times, the diet is very carefully controlled and monitored. It's has zero to do with illegal chemicals or methods - just have a look at other sports and see what the effect of their training is.
In answer to an earlier question, a stage like today's will eat up about 7,500 - 8,000 kcals. It's hard to eat that much, which is where gels and the like come in, plus a lot of rice (favoured over pasta nowadays).
Many years ago, when even I was a lad, one of the French magazines published a whole page of rider portraits shot at the beginning of the TdF, at the end of weeks 1 and 2, and after the finish, titled "Le Tour, il change leur visages". It sure did. More gaunt as the race went on, because the modern diet was not around, and people eat steaks fior breakfast (which didn't digest properly) and all kinds of stuff, but simply could not get the correct kcals in, or often get decent quality food at all.
Everyone still loses weight on the TdF (andother stage races), but not quite so much and without, generally, too much loss of power.

Top Bottom