WiggleCRC to axe 300 jobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Oh dear, bad news

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
A follow up piece just appeared on the BBC

Cynical asset stripping
BBC Link
...claims an MP who doesn't know what asset-stripping is (it's taking control of a company and then selling it in bits). He also rather undermines his claims by pointing out that CRC's most valuable asset was its list of customers, which wiggle still owns.
FFS.

I've submitted a FOI request to the CMA to ask why they approved the merger. Will report back in due course.
Save your ink. It's all on their website.
https://assets.publishing.service.g...96b000004/mapil-full-text-of-the-decision.pdf

Essentially, even when you look at UK only and online only there is enough competition.

There is one clear course of action open to all of us here.
Of course. But if your main concern is saving jobs in a deprived part of the UK, then any decision not to buy from wiggle will contribute towards putting at risk jobs in Wolverhampton.

Reactions: mjr

Sixmile

Veteran
I live 1/4 mile away from the CRC warehouse in Doagh and whilst this will certainly ease some of the traffic issues of our village, it will be catastrophic for the local community financially. CRC are amongst the biggest employers in the county and I remember their earliest days in a tiny narrow bike shop in the main street of Ballyclare. They were a real local success story and an inspiration. It is terrible that it has come to this.

srw

I live 1/4 mile away from the CRC warehouse in Doagh and whilst this will certainly ease some of the traffic issues of our village, it will be catastrophic for the local community financially. CRC are amongst the biggest employers in the county and I remember their earliest days in a tiny narrow bike shop in the main street of Ballyclare. They were a real local success story and an inspiration. It is terrible that it has come to this.
It hasn't "come to this". The owners of CRC made a conscious decision that they knew would, in all likelihood, result in the closure of the local warehouse.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
All of the above. Can't fault the watsons for taking their £ and splitting though, good move for them at what must have been the right time.

Even as an ex employee Ill be sad to see CRC go, as I am to read very little else but news of job cuts lately.

srw

All of the above. Can't fault the watsons for taking their £ and splitting though, good move for them at what must have been the right time.

Hold on a moment. That's a bizarre attitude. The closure of the warehouse is directly because of the decision of the previous owners to take their £ millions. If they'd decided to keep ownership, or had sold to someone else, it wouldn't have happened.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Hold on a moment. That's a bizarre attitude. The closure of the warehouse is directly because of the decision of the previous owners to take their £ millions. If they'd decided to keep ownership, or had sold to someone else, it wouldn't have happened.
Not really. Why should they not sell their business?

Wiggle could keep operations here going but they aren't, that is the cause of job losses.

srw

Not really. Why should they not sell their business?

Wiggle could keep operations here going but they aren't, that is the cause of job losses.
I think you need to understand a bit more about how business, and life, works. You can bet your bottom dollar that the NI closure was part of the business plan discussed between wiggle and CRC during the takeover. Wiggle could not have bought without a willing seller.

I'm not saying that the original owners shouldn't have sold, just that no-one should be naive enough to believe that they didn't know exactly what would happen.

Top Bottom