Winchester to London (well Croydon actually) - 28 March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Hopefully the yr.no forecast proves more accurate than the Beeb one- which looks pretty nasty, frankly.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Hopefully the yr.no forecast proves more accurate than the Beeb one- which looks pretty nasty, frankly.
I swear I'm like bloody Jonah with the weather. Remember stage 5 of last year's tour? Guess who'd ridden there? :rain:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I've just had a half hour on the rollers and I think I'll be ok, so I'll be there for the depart on Saturday. If I'm feeling rough on the ride I'll split at Bighton and let the wind blow me to 'mazingstoke. See y'all.

Trickedem

Guru
I thinking of attaching a sail so I don't need to pedal!
@rb58 how far is it from Croydon back to Bexley, I might tag along with you if that is ok, because the Victoria line trains from Bromley are stopping at Meopham

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
I thinking of attaching a sail so I don't need to pedal!
@rb58 how far is it from Croydon back to Bexley, I might tag along with you if that is ok, because the Victoria line trains from Bromley are stopping at Meopham
About 13 miles, with a couple of climbs, although you'll miss the worst one if you're jumping a train from Bromley.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
The weather forecast has worsened, and we are going to get wet. Maybe very wet in parts. Or we might be lucky.

On the up side, the tail wind for the return leg has strengthened, and we should be in Winchester before the wind picks up too much for those doing the outbound leg.

To confirm, @Eddie_C , @mikeee and I will be leaving HPC at 2.00am. Earlier if we're all assembled, so if you plan to join us, you'd better let me know.

Then @mikeee ,@Bollo , @StuAff , @sagefly ,@Mark Grant , @Trickedem and I will be leaving Winchester station at 9.00 prompt.

If any if you arrive in Winchester early, the overnighters will be in McDonalds.

It would make sense for some of you to have the route on your Garmin in case of issues on the outbound leg.

See you tonight/tomorrow.

Aperitif is away.
He's here, say.
I didn't go to bed until 4am, as I had a terrible dose of work, and would probably be too sleepy for playing bikes. As you intrepids lance upwards toward Croydonia, I will be hoping for dry skies for all. (As I have two nice tickets for Saracens v Harlequins at Wembley)
If it's the same route back as last time, watch out for the skiddy right-hander through the trees, near the Church where....damn, forgotten her name again...hair shampoo er...Silvikrin?....Weller...ah...help! scraped the skin from her body on the tarmac...ah..Chantal? Sorry...(It isn't Chantal, as the only Chantal I know is Chantal Cuer...and..etc) HELP!
Safe ride everyone. GO SEVERAL!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
The weather forecast has worsened, and we are going to get wet. Maybe very wet in parts. Or we might be lucky.

On the up side, the tail wind for the return leg has strengthened, and we should be in Winchester before the wind picks up too much for those doing the outbound leg.

To confirm, @Eddie_C , @mikeee and I will be leaving HPC at 2.00am. Earlier if we're all assembled, so if you plan to join us, you'd better let me know.

Then @mikeee ,@Bollo , @StuAff , @sagefly ,@Mark Grant , @Trickedem and I will be leaving Winchester station at 9.00 prompt.

If any if you arrive in Winchester early, the overnighters will be in McDonalds.

It would make sense for some of you to have the route on your Garmin in case of issues on the outbound leg.

See you tonight/tomorrow.
Route is on my 705, and I've just set up a track for my intended ride there. Via St George's Street (I assume it's that branch of the golden arches?) in case I'm early. I have the alarm set for six, intend to be on the road by seven (almost certainly a bit earlier). That way if I decide I need to head to a near(ish) station I'll have time to make it (and probably join you in McDs), if I keep riding I should be on time. Early forecast for me is a bit blowy, but more of a crosswind and not as strong as the winds later on. As for my return home, I'll play it by ear. I'd like to get a second ton for the month in, but for riding south-west that wind's going to be right in my face, and strengthening. I'll probably settle for leaving you at Rykas and making my way to Dorking from where I can train home via Horsham.

Top Bottom