Winchester to London (well Croydon actually) - 28 March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeee

Many apologies for this late message, unforeseen travel delays earlier this evening have left me with an impossible timescale to make it down in time for the departure tonight. Sorry again about this.
Mike

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Mrs Dr Bollo has a hair appointment at 8:45, so if I can get my arse into gear I'll trundle down with her and meet you in Maccie D's around 8:30ish. If not, see you at the station at 9. Have a good ride down all.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
That was going so well, until @sagefly got booted off the train by an officious guard. Hope you're on the next train.
Boo! I commuted on that line for years and never had a problem with a bike. what was the issue?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Thanks to Ross for organising this and Tim for the two-up roll into Croydon. It's always good to put faces to names and makes me realise I should make more of an effort to get out on forum rides occasionally.

The ride itself was lovely, with plenty of variation and better weather than promised by the Beeb. Highlights for me were popping my White Down and Boxhill cherries (well and truly splattered in the case of White Down). Also, chapeaux to the drivers of Surrey. Some of you are world-class front-bottoms.

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
That was fun. Two of us left HPC at 2.00am and successfully got every red traffic light between there and Hammersmith, before finding the flyover closed and having to take a diversion through the side streets - streets @Eddie_C knew well, so no real delay. Uneventful progress to the 24-hour M&S at Bagshot for a quick pit stop. We were on the direct A30 route and after a while realised the M3 must be closed as there was certainly more traffic than we expected, but not bad. Basingstoke came and Eddie decided to jump the train as he was suffering from lack of match fitness due to a non-cycling injury (that'll teach you to go ice skating!). But not before an encounter with a handsome barn owl - the second in two weeks for me.

The final leg to Winchester was uneventful, zero traffic, although I got soaked in a cloud burst and the headwind picked up, but I was in McDonalds just after 7.00 - about an hour early - for breakfast.

@Bollo joined me, then @StuAff and we picked up @Trickedem, @sagefly and his mate at the station before negotiating the motorway underpass first time and onto the lanes. It's a splendid route. Rolling, but nothing fierce, through the best Hampshire countryside. Past the watercress fields, the steam railway, the early warning system, and the money houses, we were pushed along by a nice tailwind, picking up breakfast in Borden, then on into the Surrey Hills. I was starting to tire - on reflection a Bagel and a bacon sandwich was probably not adequate fuel to get me over the hundred mile mark, although I have eaten all the pies so had plenty in reserve. A couple of navigation errors got us to Whitedown via a slightly different, but probably nicer way. And then we went up. The 18% came and went, probably surprising a couple of the group, and before we knew it we were in Dorking. I was over 140 miles at this point so decided the train was the better option. Paul and Tim headed on to Rykas, Box Hill and Croydon. I hope Croydon didn't disappoint @Bollo .

Good riding with you all - see you out on the road! And yes, Paul, you need to get out with us some more.

Trickedem

Guru
win-croy.jpg

Thanks everyone for a great ride. The sun even came out briefly. A25 was murderous and WhiteDown was as tough as ever.

P1050173.JPG

OakenHanger Early Warning Station

P1050180.JPG

Our Ride leader @rb58 cresting White Down

sagefly

Veteran
Thanks to everyone for a great day out, it served to underline how far out of nick I am!

Pedalling up Whitedown, all the way and in one go, is on the list now.

Really lovely countryside, and envy inspiring houses.

Thanks for organising the ride Ross

Top Bottom