Windows 10...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

Upgraded to W10 about 2 months ago, was a nightmare, but for some reason last week when I clicked on install updates it downloaded W10 again and reinstalled it and it is a lot better .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Awesome innit?

Best upgrade you can get. And if you check out bargains, you can get an SSD for a reasonable price. In a desktop you can get away with a smaller SSD than in a laptop, as you run more than one drive. There is also free software for copying your drive over - Mini Tool Partition Wizard was simple to use.

Our old PC now has it's processor Maxxed out keeping up with the SSD - an old Athlon 64 3400. No such issue with the two Core i7's though.

Venod

Eh up
Upgraded to W10 about 2 months ago, was a nightmare, but for some reason last week when I clicked on install updates it downloaded W10 again and reinstalled it and it is a lot better .

Same here upgraded laptop ( no problems) desktop was a nightmare so went back to 7, noticed the laptop had a big upgrade the other week, so just upgraded to 10 on the desktop again, seems fine at the moment.

U

User6179

Are you speaking from experience there, as I have a Canon printer?

My only problem with W10 now is my old printer not working , on my first W10 install I had to manually update the driver and got it working but on the 2nd install the printer wont print , just comes back with printing error message .

pplpilot

Guru
Think ill stick with Bob.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Best upgrade you can get. And if you check out bargains, you can get an SSD for a reasonable price. In a desktop you can get away with a smaller SSD than in a laptop, as you run more than one drive. There is also free software for copying your drive over - Mini Tool Partition Wizard was simple to use.

Our old PC now has it's processor Maxxed out keeping up with the SSD - an old Athlon 64 3400. No such issue with the two Core i7's though.

I tried a 120gb SSD but for my usage - Visual Studio 2015 and a bunch of emulators - it was really too small. Luckily I found a Sandisk 240gb in Amazon's Black Friday sale for £40. On a laptop, you can buy caddies that fit in the optical drive bay to take a hard drive, so you can use the smaller SSD bigger HDD method. I've lost the DVD drive, but I hardly ever used it and I've not missed it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I tried a 120gb SSD but for my usage - Visual Studio 2015 and a bunch of emulators - it was really too small. Luckily I found a Sandisk 240gb in Amazon's Black Friday sale for £40. On a laptop, you can buy caddies that fit in the optical drive bay to take a hard drive, so you can use the smaller SSD bigger HDD method. I've lost the DVD drive, but I hardly ever used it and I've not missed it.

We don't use our DVD drives on the laptops either, but fortunately, the one I upgraded is a 17.3" laptop, so has two drive bays. 1TB SSD and a 1TB HD now. Bags of space.

I got the big Sandisk SSD for £140 in an amazon sale (RRP £220), less £90 of vouchers from work when I had my bike accident, so cost me £50.

I picked up a 240GB for about £60 out of sale (Samsung Evo) for the old computer and my son's gaming machine has a 240GB SSD for the O/S and a 2TB HD drive for games, and a portable 2TB for backups/old files.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was given a PC when I was ill 2 or 3 years ago but have only just started to use it (I still have difficulties with sitting at a desk so I usually use a laptop with my legs up on a foot stool). I upgraded the PC with a cheap Win 7 installation with a view to immediately doing the free upgrade to Win 10 but that upgrade has failed about 3 or 4 times now and the OS has reverted back to Win 7. I haven't yet worked out what the problem is. I'll keep on trying.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 when it was first offered LSU year. After the install, I ended up with a flashing desktop that wouldn't let me progress any further. I reinstalled W8.1 and carried on with that until now; but having being nagged incessantly by Microsoft to upgrade, I took the plunge and downloaded it again. Did the upgrade this morning and everything went smoothly. Everything seems to work OK. :heat::heat::heat:

Top Bottom