Windows 10...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's the scanner that has caused the most problems as well as the software for uploading photos. Mr K has found a fix, don't ask me anymore!
I heard that Canon are particularly bad for this, which is a shame, as their scanners are very good. But rather than get into a tiz about it, I just went and bought a new, better one off ebay for £25, delivered, which also has cool features that will actually be helpful, like built in OCR software and the ability to save scans directly into PDF format.

U

User6179

I just left the PC chugging away upstairs on its latest upgrade attempt. If that doesn't work, I will do some serious detective work to try and work out what is going wrong.

Make sure that you are running the latest version of either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
Systen requirements for Windows 10
  • Processor:

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
  • RAM:

1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit

• Hard disk space:

16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
  • Graphics card:

DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
  • Display:

800x600

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I would stick with Windows 7. I think Windows 10 is ghastly - turning your PC into the information-leaking desktop equivalent of an Android phone.

There's the hideous monocoloured flat-look interface that looks, well, dated. Like someone has tried to modernise Windows for Workgroups and failed. Basically, I don't want a desktop that looks like a combination of a giant phone and a 25 year old o/s. And then there's the acres of space wasted in dialog boxes and settings screens so that you have to scroll down to see options that could have been displayed in boxes a third of the size.

To think I was excited about this and was keen to see what Windows 10 was like! I "upgraded" (hardly the right word in retrospect) one secondary pc and a laptop to Windows 10. I gave it some months to give it a real chance but after each update reset various privacy and other settings without prompting, I started getting rather cheesed off. It is on borrowed time on the laptop but the desktop is already dual booting to Ubuntu and will probably lose 10 altogether soon.

I would lay good odds that future 10 updates will make some features only available by subscription as that is where the money is.

Stephenite

Membå
... and more importantly, I couldn't get Age of Empires 2 to work on win10 (it's working fine again now I've reverted back to win7). It's the only game i have.

[QUOTE 4201080, member: 9609"]
One thing is for certain thogh, my wife upgraded her win8 laptop to 10, and that has definately been an improvement.[/QUOTE]
We will update my missus's laptop from win8 to win10 too. If i can find it. That laptop was very quickly relegated to the bottom of a cupboard somewhere.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
... and more importantly, I couldn't get Age of Empires 2 to work on win10 (it's working fine again now I've reverted back to win7). It's the only game i have.

We will update my missus's laptop from win8 to win10 too. If i can find it. That laptop was very quickly relegated to the bottom of a cupboard somewhere.
The thing for me was 10 'lost' me all the built in games of 7, I play a lot of Spider Solitaire, Freecell and Hearts with a bit of Mahjong Titans from time to time.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I love Windows 10. And usede in combination with a Windows 10 Mobile phone it is a joy.

As to the privacy stuff. I think people who use the interwebs and debit cards and mobile phones et cetera worrying about their privacy being further compromised via the OS of a personal computer is almost touchingly naïve.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I love Windows 10. And usede in combination with a Windows 10 Mobile phone it is a joy.

As to the privacy stuff. I think people who use the interwebs and debit cards and mobile phones et cetera worrying about their privacy being further compromised via the OS of a personal computer is almost touchingly naïve.

From my point of view, that's taking what is already a bad situation and making it worse. At least with apps and websites, I have some control about how much of my usage profile can be leaked and flogged to third party advertisers by simply choosing not to use them. It's rather more difficult to do that when your OS does much the same, not just with websites but unless you turn off some options, any documents you happen to be working on.

[edit] What I see as one of the more balanced articles on Windows 10 privacy (and many are OTT) is here: Windows 10 privacy

Last edited:
So far so mixed. Several windows updates have screwed several things. Start button stopped working which required some fudging which has left me with odd icons in the programs list. Network discovery stopped working after one update so I couldn't connect to my NAS and unless you're logged in, which I'm not, certain things don't work, like calculator, which is web based. So I now hold my breath whenever it does an update.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
From my point of view, that's taking what is already a bad situation and making it worse. At least with apps and websites, I have some control about how much of my usage profile can be leaked and flogged to third party advertisers by simply choosing not to use them. It's rather more difficult to do that when your OS does much the same, not just with websites but unless you turn off some options, any documents you happen to be working on.
And what are the actually consequences of your usage being flogged to 3rd party advertisers?

U

User6179

So far so mixed. Several windows updates have screwed several things. Start button stopped working which required some fudging which has left me with odd icons in the programs list. Network discovery stopped working after one update so I couldn't connect to my NAS and unless you're logged in, which I'm not, certain things don't work, like calculator, which is web based. So I now hold my breath whenever it does an update.

Reinstalling the apps fixed the start button problem for me but I now have an update problem with the apps not updating .
The only problem I had with network discovery is all the unknown phones and devices that started appearing on my network :eek:

Reinstalling the apps fixed the start button problem for me but I now have an update problem with the apps not updating
That's what I did. I don't use the apps but quite a few don't seem to work now. I guess at some point I'll address the problem as it's affected things like the photo viewer and associations with file extensions to it.

Top Bottom