Windy weather, blurred vision and an unexpected expense

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Went out for a ride today, round one of my usual loops. Weather was a bit windy once I got up on to the moors, which makes it a bit harder work, but I don't mind as it's all character building stuff. Until... I got to a nice straight flat sprinty bit and was really giving it the beans. Wind was coming from my left and was pretty strong. I turned my head for a quick shoulder check and my glasses blew clean off my face! The last I saw of them (blurrily) they were skidding across the road and into a grass verge. Of course I threw out the anchor and spent a good while searching for them but to no avail, I had to finish my ride rather gingerly with fuzzy vision.

So now I have to buy a new pair of specs. Fortunately they weren't my fancy sunglasses or I reckon I'd still be out there searching; Ironically enough this morning I got in the post some promo literature for a sale the online optician is having so that might actually come in handy.

So if anyone finds a pair of Nike glasses at the top of Strines Moor, let me know. Also, if you stop to ask a fellow cyclist if they need help, be sure you know what you're going to do if they say "yes". Two cyclists and a motorist stopped to ask if I was OK, but none of them helped me look, or even asked if I could see well enough to get home. Oh yeah, and make sure your specs are secure.

What was the point of them stopping to ask if you are ok then offering no assistance.......nobbers:wacko: glad you made it home ok

0lonerider

Veteran
id still be lookin for my glass's ! hard work with blurry vision though.
i got a cord to hold me sunglass' on! it came with some cheepos fron aldi, need it up here in windynook.

400bhp

Guru
If I lost my glasses id be fooked:eek: around -7 myopia. I could just about dial the phone to call home.

i use a wraparound band to stop the sort of thing that happened to the op.

If I lost my glasses id be fooked:eek: around -7 myopia. I could just about dial the phone to call home.

i use a wraparound band to stop the sort of thing that happened to the op.
same here, but only -6... blind as a bat without them and have balance issues without my glasses as well.. as for cycling without them - forget it... luckily my cycle helmet straps tend to hold my glasses on really well thankfully!

S.Giles

This has reminded me of something that happened to me in California many years ago. I drove from LA to Santa Barbara and during my stay, looked up at the sky (it was night, and the stars were spectacular). One of my contact lenses blew clean out and was never found. I had to drive the seventy miles back to LA with only one eye able to focus properly. This was surprisingly difficult. When I got back to LA I realised why. One of my car's headlights had coincidentally packed in!

Steve

Last edited:

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
image.jpg

Learn from Larry! :laugh:

Top Bottom