Winter bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Ok so I've bit the bullet and bought a carbon frame. Good price,liked it and more importantly Mrs allowed it !
So my question is at moment I have two bikes,one is my best(CAAD 8 full 105)
The other is my everyday Ribble audux same full 105.Im going to take the groupset of one,but which ? What's the downside of using the cannondale as a everyday winter bike ? Or is there any.
Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Will the Cannondale take full mudguards and fatter tyres (plus a pannier rack if needed)?
If not, keep the Ribble

Or just buy a new groupset etc ;)

S-Express

Any clue on what the carbon frame actually is?

Anyway, the Ribble Audax is a winter bike - so I don't understand the agonising over which bike to use in winter.

crazyjoe101

CAAD 8 will probably be the same style of bike by the sounds of it so take the stuff off that and stick it on the carbon frame and then have two bikes for different uses? The Ribble will probably be better suited for winter riding because it will have wider clearances for tyres and take full guards.

If it's the same 'winter' Ribble as mine, the blue aluminium frame, the widest tyres that will fit without scraping mudguards are '23'

The other 'winters', the red steel, the 'Sportive 365', & CX models will take fatter

Ribble. 7.JPG
That said, it depends on your riding style & weight, as to whether bigger tyres are needed?

As an aside, I spent a few years all-year round commuting on '20's, as that's the fattest that would fit on my Dyna-Tech - I still needed Salmon Profil mudguards with that though!!

jarlrmai

Veteran
My "winter" bike will be a hired mountain bike in New Zealand ;)

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Sorry didn't mean to open a minefield ! I don't commute I only ride for fun/pleasure.As forudguards ive been using the crud so not a issue.Its the blue Ribble as picture above.Its more that it goes on hols and on the car.I was leaning towards getting rid of the Ribble and keeping CAAD as I do still like the cannondale

vickster

Legendary Member
Just stick cruds on the Cannondale if it's just a fun bike (although IME they are indeed a bit erm crud)

No reason why you can't do the same with a carbon either, it won't disintegrate (probably)

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Yea I know thanks,I ride on either in bad weather.It's just one takes more of a hammering but gets too go on hols ! The ribble has been to France and Ireland this year so I guess it's the cannondales time.By the way had a glance at caad and it does have mudguard mounts by the look of it.

Slightly more convoluted(and will cost a bit more) but why not say take the kit off the Ribble and then flog that as a frameset and the CAAD and look for something that would take bigger tyres;something like an older cross bike like a caadx,a Ridley,Planet X etc.

To give you an idea;

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/fitting-sks-mudguards-to-caadx-105-disc-picture-heavy.193642/

If it doesn't have mounting points you can get some that fit with the quick release that I use on my Planet X XLS;

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/fenders/full-coverage-fenders/

As fitted to my XLS(which makes a fine winter bike);

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/fenders/full-coverage-fenders/

If not I'd keep the 'Dale over the Ribble easy and fit the SKS clip-ons;used them last winter on the Ridley Icarus which has tight clearences with Clement Strada LGG 25's,stayed on with no fuss.

mattobrien

Guru
I'd use the CAAD8 as the winter bike.

Mrs O has the 105 CAAD8 and I am going to have to persuade her to use that again in the winter, although I am sure she'd prefer to use her Merckx and for me to then do the cleaning of it afterwards.

Her CAAD8 does have the necessary mudguard bosses, but we have SKS Raceblades mounted on it.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
That's settled then ill keep the cannondale,might be a large frame and forks in the sale section soon !

Top Bottom