winter clothes - order of layers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigup

hi guys

newbie here to winter commuting and bit confused on in what order i need to wear my winter clothes

this is what i do currently when its really cold:

Skin
Base layer - half sleeve tight stretchy type (nike compression) <--- is this right for cold weather?
Bib shorts
normal long sleeve thin decathlon jersey
Tenn winter weight jacket

leg warmers
socks
shoes

and when it rains a polaris rain jacket over the top.

Now, i want to buy a windproof type jacket like: http://www.cycle-clothes.co.uk/windblock-windproof-and-roubaix-cycle-cycling-race-jacket--black-sml

would i just use this instead of the Tenn winter weight jacket ?

i know there's probably no wrong or right answer but does the above seem ok?

thanks!

ceejayh

You'll probably get a load of different replies about this.

It seems like you've got every bit of kit you need. During my last outing I had a long sleeved compression top, 3/4 bib tights and long sleeved jersey and I was fine - I'll probably continue with that until it starts getting really cold. I've also got a windproof Sportful jacket and a hi-viz waterproof More Mile jacket for commuting.

You'll eventually work our for yourself what's best for you.

It varies each winter depending on the temperature. In the depths of winter on a sub zero morning commute I'll wear:
Base layer (same stretch Lidl/Aldi stuff as you) leggings and long sleeve top. Roubaix big longs and insulated long sleeve top. Then, as I'm only commuting, a Night Vision Evo jacket. Thermal socks, shoes (obviously) and overshoes on the feet. Silk liners and winter, waterproof full fingered gloves on the hands. Then a neck warmer and thermal cap (to protect the slap head) under the helmet.

Top Bottom