Winter Cycling..........how do you keep warm ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
The situation....................
This is my first year for winter cycling (I want to keep cycle-fit over winter).
I have always suffered bad circulation as I have Reynauds.
As an 'old fart' I feel the cold even more.
Today I did an 18 miler and wore.............
  • 3 base layers plus a wind-proof top..........body was warm :smile:
  • long johns plus running leggings........legs were OKish
  • Ordinary socks............feet were blocks of ice :sad:..........will try thermal socks next time
  • Thermal skull cap............OKish.......will try a snood next time
  • Wind-proof gloves.........hands were like toast :smile:
So.....................
3 base layers seems extreme.............what is the alternative ?
Are thermal socks the answer to VERY cold feet.
Is a snood the answer to a cold neck & face ?

clid61

Veteran
Merino wool socks from go outdooors and some overshoes. once the extremities get cold the rest follows!

q

Milkfloat

An Peanut
When it is crazy cold I have been known to wear thin liner socks, waterproof socks and then neoprene overshoes. After a few miles it only seems to be my feet that get really cold the rest of my body is fine (although a dripping nose is a guarantee).

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Just cycle faster to keep warm

Actually, to keep feet warm on really cold days (like Sunday was in Cheshire) I wear Sealskins socks and neoprene overshoes. I managed three and a half hours (the first hour of which was in the rain) and my feet were OK. Even if it's not wet the overshoes help keep the windchill down

Edit : Milkfloat beat me to it

Craghoppers hat, kneck buff up over ears, mouth and nose.
Cycle top with bibbed leggings over top.
Endura coat
Endura 3/4 Baggie shorts over leggings (because I don't like the nuts on show look)
Normal socks and overshoes.
Toasty today.
image.jpeg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yesterday's ride in the country, started off in minus 2°

Sealkinz socks (not only waterproof but also nice and toasty in cold temps)
DHB Roubaix Bib Longs
Spesh Base Layer Vest
Shutt VR Merino LS Jersey
Shutt VR Winter Jersey
Nightvision Winter gloves.
Buff for the neck and face
For the head, a buff and a cycling cap.

In fact I was just a little bit too warm. I could have done without the vest at least.

However, as you suffer from Reynauds, that is a whole different ball game.

Like some of the others here for feet: sealskinz 'waterproof' socks & neoprene overshoes... The sealskinz because they tend to trap the heat more; in heavy rain they'll eventually fill with water (from the top around leg), but at least with overshoes too, feet should be OK. A sort of 'wetsuit' effect.

Also wear a buff, to stop wind down collar, and keep some rain out. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-reflective-buffr/

Inexpensive Lidl synthetic base layer shorts/vest - work really well.

Last edited:
Yesterday's ride in the country, started off in minus 2°

Sealkinz socks (not only waterproof but also nice and toasty in cold temps)
DHB Roubaix Bib Longs
Spesh Base Layer Vest
Shutt VR Merino LS Jersey
Shutt VR Winter Jersey
Nightvision Winter gloves.
Buff for the neck and face
For the head, a buff and a cycling cap.

In fact I was just a little bit too warm. I could have done without the vest at least.

However, as you suffer from Reynauds, that is a whole different ball game.

Just took a look at that Shutt stuff, very nice and like the styling but bit too pricey for my pocket. Very nice though

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Yesterday:

3 season climbing socks.
DHB toe protectors over Shimano MT43 SPD shoes
Endura FS260 bib.
Altura winter longs.
Helly Hansen short sleeve top with cheap Tenn short sleeve cycling top over that.
Cheap £50 Altura waterproof jacket with side vent zips wide open and front zip open about 12".
Buff in beanie mode under my helmet to keep ear tips warm.
Louis Garneaux full finger waterproof gloves.
Glasses - cost £25 and are terrific. Don't mist up, do the job and at £25 if they hit the deck I'm not going to have an Oakley Meltdown.

Was freezing cold at around 2C (ok so not technically freezing cold but you know what I mean) and tbh on the final few miles run in to base I had to roll up the arms of my jacket to dump some heap (very effective!). Rest of the time I was perfectly comfortable and tbh I would rather run cold than hot if I had to choose.

All cheap but effective stuff - not wanting to pay more as if I have an 'off' none of the above are mega bucks to replace.

As an aside when I got home and stripped off I felt warm all over but my stomach felt very cold to the touch - I have no idea why that would be the case.

Top Bottom