Winter jacket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davdandy

Seeing as Winter is fast approaching i have been getting some gear ready.I just need a jacket.

I know this subject,along with others comes up a lot but what the heck,i love to talk.^_^

Of course it has to have the usual trappings as waterproof and windproof but also comfortable and non sweating.Ok,a tall order but what do you guys recommended.I have seen the Altura,Endura and the Gore,the Gore i do like but is quite expensive.I am not a premiership footballer so have a budget,i really don't want to spend more than £80 if that is at all possible.If i really have to i will go more but would really prefer not too.

My current Winter jacket is actually an Aldi one,or Lidl,i cant remember which. I have to be honest is nice and warm and does the job,but the inner snob in me wants something a little more stylish.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Altura Varium currently £80 at Wiggle. A bunch of us on here got them last winter from a discount shop and they're really good. Softshell, breathable with zip vents, showerproof and a racing fit.

Last year I rode through the winter with a base a layer, short sleeve cycling top and a gorewear oxygen gt as jacket. The jacket was the best investment I have made for cycling! Keeps you dry but is actually breathable so you do not boil in the bag.

I got mine for £100 which was expensive, but I have had my moneys worth out of it. There are deals to be had if you are an unusual size.

Sharky

Guru
If you are keen enough to ride through the winter and not already, join a club and fit yourself out in their club colours. It's a really great feeling when you go out with the club squad and all dressed the same.

Keep warm,
Keith

Paul99

Über Member
Seeing as Winter is fast approaching i have been getting some gear ready.I just need a jacket.

I know this subject,along with others comes up a lot but what the heck,i love to talk.^_^

Of course it has to have the usual trappings as waterproof and windproof but also comfortable and non sweating.Ok,a tall order but what do you guys recommended.I have seen the Altura,Endura and the Gore,the Gore i do like but is quite expensive.I am not a premiership footballer so have a budget,i really don't want to spend more than £80 if that is at all possible.If i really have to i will go more but would really prefer not too.

My current Winter jacket is actually an Aldi one,or Lidl,i cant remember which. I have to be honest is nice and warm and does the job,but the inner snob in me wants something a little more stylish.

To be honest with you I'd wait for a bit before buying. If you only want to spend £80 then wait until you see the jacket that pushes your buttons in a sale.

If you already have a winter jacket you shouldn't be in a rush and if you spend now and get a jacket that isn't "perfect" you'll probably regret it and and up buying "the one" further down the line. (I do this a lot!)

OP
OP
davdandy

davdandy

Thanks guys,some really good stuff there cheers.

One thing i cant help but notice is how many Winter jackets are in black.I dont know about you guys but i will not be wearing black in Winter,I want to be seen and not be took out by a motorist unable to see me.

Sharky

Guru
Agree, always use light coloured or hi viz jackets in winter and plenty of reflective bits in the dark.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I'm going to see how I get on with last years running gear

Underarmour LS coldgear base, breathable SS top then showerproof breathable jacket. If that fails then I'll change the SS top for a long sleeve

If that fails the card is coming out

Top Bottom