Winter Olympics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doseone

Guru
Living a bit on past glory, I was a Biathlete and cross country skier before that, very fortunate to have had a go at quite a lot of the winter sports including the bobsleigh which is mental. If anyone has not watched the Biathlon, do so, it's absolutely fascinating with no guarantee of winning until the last shoot is over, as I know to my cost, once did a clear shoot on the next lane's targets, 5 laps of the magic roundabout made sure I never made that mistake again :blush:.

I'm glad to hear that the British Biathlon team have got funding again. The partner of someone I work with is currently in Germany with the British team at the moment - helping out, he's not one of the athletes.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Living a bit on past glory, I was a Biathlete and cross country skier before that, very fortunate to have had a go at quite a lot of the winter sports including the bobsleigh which is mental. If anyone has not watched the Biathlon, do so, it's absolutely fascinating with no guarantee of winning until the last shoot is over, as I know to my cost, once did a clear shoot on the next lane's targets, 5 laps of the magic roundabout made sure I never made that mistake again :blush:.
Ooooh is that the one where they do a cross country ski then have to lie down and shoot at targets??
I love that one!

Ganymede

Veteran

Cool! Or as we say in my family, Kewl!

Tin Pot

Guru
I'll be watching with my kids. We became a skiing family three years ago, love anything snow - always have. Love slalom, but the ski cross is mental!

@totallyfixed
Love the biathlon - well done.

I'm trying cross country skiing this season, trying to find a winter triathlon for next season - don't suppose you know of any?

Ooooh is that the one where they do a cross country ski then have to lie down and shoot at targets??
I love that one!
Yes, imagine trying to hit a 5 golf balls next to each other while your heart is yammering away at typically 160 - 175 bpm depending on the approach to the range. You also have to repeat this in the standing position where the targets are a bit bigger but still harder, in some events there are 2 shoots and in some 4. Easily the toughest sport I have ever done.
I'll be watching with my kids. We became a skiing family three years ago, love anything snow - always have. Love slalom, but the ski cross is mental!

@totallyfixed
Love the biathlon - well done.

I'm trying cross country skiing this season, trying to find a winter triathlon for next season - don't suppose you know of any?
I'm afraid not as I don't even know what winter triathlon is!

ScotiaLass

Guru
Yes, imagine trying to hit a 5 golf balls next to each other while your heart is yammering away at typically 160 - 175 bpm depending on the approach to the range. You also have to repeat this in the standing position where the targets are a bit bigger but still harder, in some events there are 2 shoots and in some 4. Easily the toughest sport I have ever done...
I love watching as they regulate their breathing to steady themselves before they take a shot....that's some discipline and made to look so easy by the pro athletes!

VamP

Banned
My sister-in-law's son (himself a very good skier and now top ski mechanic/engineer with Fischer skis) is very good mates with Andrew Musgrave and reckons he has serious chances of getting a medal in several of the cross country skiing events.

Peter Northug (the bad boy of cross country skiing) could well take a hatfull of gold medals.

An ex girlfriend's niece (Therese Johaug) , who is already a world and Olympic champion in cross country skiing is another I'll be looking out for. And I'll be cheering on Finland's ice hockey team.

Although you have let the side down a bit by referring to it as ice hockey... Go Czech Republic.

Stephenite

Membå

There's this one (looks a toughie - to me):

658wg2.jpg

Edit. There's 20,000euro to the winner!

Stephenite

Membå
Can we assume that is the prize for the first man and first woman?
That's right. First man gets 20000euro, first woman gets 20000euro. And prizes are given to the first six placings of both sexes.

The prizes are given in Norwegian kroner. So, to carry on in the generous spirit of Dayvo, anyone who wins a prize can use my norwegian bank account as a means to facillitate ease of swift payment of said monies minus tenpercent :thumbsup:

Top Bottom