Wirral......New Brighton>West Kirkby>Parkgate advice needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I got some good help re' Chester>Neston and enjoyed it.
We are planning New Brighton>West Kirby>Parkgate (on road bikes) and wonder.....................
1) At Leasowe .........can we continue to ride alongside the sea (with the golf course on our left)??
2) After Leasowe how do we get to Meols & Hoylake i.e. do we have to come "inland" or can we continue along
the coast ?
3) At West Kirby we want to link onto the Wirral Way..........how/where do we join it ? Is it OK for road bikes on
that stretch ?
Many thanks in advance :smile:

I feel certain you asked this before sometime :smile:

1) Yes but it's not officially a cycle path but everyone uses it. You may have to walk short stretches where the sand has blown over
2) At the end of the Leasowe path you come out onto Meols Parade. You can ride on the road, it's quiet and pleasant until Hoyle road and then it goes into a one way system against you. You have a choice of turning left up Hoyle Road and then right along Market Street through Hoylake. This is generally busy'ish. Or you can drop onto the prom which is not officially a cycle path and continue to the end of the Parade and then back on the road at Kings Gap. Lots of people use that section on the pavement, probably because they think it is a cycle path but it isn't.
3) From Hoylake you can get to West Kirby via Meols Drive ( a wide road no problem cycling) or via the cycle path just past Hoylake station (down Station road, over the railway lines and turn right past station car park) on the right which brings you out on Anglesey road. Once in West Kirby, the entrance to the Wirral Way is opposite Orrysdale Road by some Toucan crossings. If you start going up the big hill, you've missed it! The surface can be ridden on a road bike, fine gravel top. On the way to Parkgate you come out on the road in Heswall, turn left, for a short stretch before re-joining and when you come out on the road again, turn right down the hill into Parkgate.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member

As per my OP........."I got some good help re' Chester>Neston and enjoyed it"........for which I thank you.
As I also said............started at Chester (actually Mickle Trafford) and got as far as Neston.
We are going to do it the opposite direction so need the help.
Thanks very much for the great advice.........we were supposed to do it today but bad forcast knackered that :sad:......so are doing it on Friday.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member

Yup. What @Crackle said.

Many thanks
Did the ride yesterday. It was really enjoyable. We went Seacombe>New Brighton>Hoylake>West Kirby........then along the Wirral Way as far as Heswall.....35 miles total.
We stopped off at West Kirby & Caldy cliffs. Beautiful day and a good ride.
I was born in Seacombe then moved to Moreton when I was 17ish.........then to Warrington when I was 21...........and that was 46 years ago:blink:
My mate has only ever visited New Brighton briefly.......0ver 40 years ago.......and enjoyed my free commentary.
We are building up to go all the way Seacombe>Burton Marshes>Mickle Trafford and back which I think should give me the 68 miles which is my goal.

Top Bottom