Work stand - useful, or a bit extravagant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boo

Über Member
Hi,
Having just bought my bike, I've had the spendies for the past couple of weeks - lights, jackets, shorts, locks etc etc
I signed up for the Fix-It! session that Evans run periodically and spent a really good 90 mins with one of the mechanics at Crouch End who was great - didn't assume I knew anything (which I didn't!). He took me through all the basic components, what needs cleaning, and how. And with what. What needs to be checked on a regular basis and so forth.
And also how to take the wheels off (and more importantly, put them back), and change a tube.

The whole thing was made easier by the fact that the bike we were using was up on a workstand.

I'm just wondering - a Park PCS10 costs around £125, which is a fair bit of cash. For someone like me, who's not a hardcore, hundreds of miles a week sort of cyclist, would that be a bit over the top?

I can see how it would be useful for changing a tube, or cleaning the chain (or cleaning the bike!), but I just wonder how much I'd use it.

It would also be useful to know how small it folds down as well - if it's pretty bulky, then that pretty much makes the decision for me, as I'm rapidly running out of room in our garage.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Bought the OH a workstand for Christmas off Ebay and he's really pleased with it and wonders how he made do without one for so long! It was less than £100 as well.

Mattonsea

Über Member
No I have had a cheap stand for a while and its so much easier . I sit in a comfy chair , coffee in one hand and alum key in other , bliss !!

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Get a cheap one- it will change your (maintenance) life. E-bay ones which are about £30 and the same as the Lidls one (if you can pick one up) make it soooo much easier, one of the best bike things I have bought.

It does things a lot easier. I've got mine and since getting it I've done a lot more maintenance. I used to take my bike in for the chain/rear cassette change but will now give it a whirl myself. Overall, with this type of work I'll end up saving money on the equipment and having fun in the process.

Workstand = best piece of kit you'll ever buy.

Cameronmu917772

I use my stand for loads of little jobs an big ones. 30 pounds from lidl and havnt looked back. Just the orther week thare I used it to wash down my roa bike. Took bothe wheels off cleaned from bottom bracket to stem. Looks like new and no worrys of bendin my rear mech or scratching the frame. A for size it fold down to about a meter tall by 30cm wide easy

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Keep an eye on Lidl for their bike week offers.
1253128_1.jpg
They're usually £30.
I got one a few years ago, I don't use it every week so couldn't justify a Park or even EBC stand
revolution-tune-up-workstand.jpg
currently £60.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
One of the best cycling-related things I have ever bought. I'm mostly a Brompton using commuter so don't worry that you need to a hardcore cyclist. Even for the small jobs it's useful, although I wish I had bought a folding one.

Top Bottom