World record attempt, almost there...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jitensha

"Greenback" said:
The full details of the rules (which I haven't been able to find on t'Internet) will make it more obvious what is and isn't allowed. Without finding and reading them it's just idle speculation.

Very true. The fact though that both Beaumont's and Bowthorpe's times are equal to the number of days between their start and finish dates seems to suggest that the same would apply to Sayarer.

Re route I hope he has ok'ed it with GWR. The tenor of his website and blog though suggests that he may have just done his own thing! I have no idea if this is the case and definitely wish him all the best, but in the interests of fairness I do hope the rules are applied strictly. I have no doubt that they will be and if Sayarer is adjudged by GWR to have broken the record then he will be a deserving champion.

dpiper

Re; Stoppage time. My understanding of the GWR rule is that you have to have 'checked in' at airport / ferryport first, then the clock stops. Clearly you cant do this 4 days early and have a rest.

stewie griffin

Über Member
hobo said:
What ever people say about the rules his average mileage per day of 109 is awesome.
Respect.

I totally agree, I find it amazing that more isn't made of all three recent attempts, & I don't mean Joe Public, on the forums I frequent there appears to be not that much interest amongst cyclists.

I wonder how many people have any idea or try & imagine what kind of physical & mental strength something like this takes? I guess not many.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I have respect and realise that it's a massive undertaking both physically, mentally and logistically. One of the reasons it doesn't capture the imagination of even cyclists though is because the route is a moveable feast which makes each effort incomparable.

stewie griffin

Über Member
rich p said:
One of the reasons it doesn't capture the imagination of even cyclists though is because the route is a moveable feast which makes each effort incomparable.

That sounds more like a gripe about the "rules" rather than a reason not to be interested.

Guinness record aside, I think it's stretching it a bit to say three RTW 18000mile + rides in similar times are "incomparable".

rich p

ridiculous old lush
stewie griffin said:
That sounds more like a gripe about the "rules" rather than a reason not to be interested.

Guinness record aside, I think it's stretching it a bit to say three RTW 18000mile + rides in similar times are "incomparable".

No, it's a possible explanation for why people aren't more interested. Different routes negate the comparisons. I don't have a problem with them trying but it doesn't appeal to me. I'd also rather read a more interesting account of a round the world trip on crazyguyonabike.
Just a personal opinion;)

jitensha

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo
What ever people say about the rules his average mileage per day of 109 is awesome.
Respect.

stewie griffin said:
I totally agree, I find it amazing that more isn't made of all three recent attempts, & I don't mean Joe Public, on the forums I frequent there appears to be not that much interest amongst cyclists.

I wonder how many people have any idea or try & imagine what kind of physical & mental strength something like this takes? I guess not many.
I actually don't agree. A please don't give me "you do it" or "gripes". This is Guinness World Record level we're talking about. Only a handful of people should be able to set such a record. 109 miles (178km approx) per day is good and would be beyond the ability of many people, but there are a significant number of people who could do it.

If you want impressive check this guy out. He's in his mid 50's by the way:

http://www.lonebiker.dk/EHJEM/index.html
http://www.lonebiker.dk

Now THAT IS impressive. I have no doubt that some day the GWR for circumnavigation of the globe will be set by somebody at very close to in possibly below 100 days.

One other point: GWR do not differentiate between supported and unsupported rides. Obviously supported is easier. Both Mark Beaumont and James Bowthorpe received some support during parts of their journeys, although not much. I don't think Sayarer received any support. The links I've supplied above to lonebiker.dk (and specifically in relation to the record for the Around Australia ride) state that support is not allowed, except in very limited and defined circumstances. I think GWR should apply similar rules, but they won't possibly because it's virtually impossible to verify whether or not support has been received.

jitensha

Links didn't work as I'd hoped, so to see daily mileage (in kms) follow the link and click on "Around Australia III" and then click on "daily figure"

jitensha

I've just been (again) reading through Erik Straarup's diary of his various trips and all I can say is the man is truly Hard Core. I'd encourage everybody who clicks on the links above to at least read through his diary for the Around Australia III ride. Amazing. He has achieved something that very very very few people could achieve. I know I couldn't. It's almost like RAAM x 5

No disrespct to Beaumont, Bowthorpe or Sayarer, but they are not in Straarup's league. Hopefully the GWR will eventually be held by somebody who can produce similar daily mileage

Garz

Squat Member
jitensha said:
I've just been (again) reading through Erik Straarup's diary of his various trips and all I can say is the man is truly Hard Core. I'd encourage everybody who clicks on the links above to at least read through his diary for the Around Australia III ride. Amazing.

I think he made a mistake on the australia III mileage, because england/wales was 1601km and I think a lap of Oz would be greater than 14.611km! ;)

Will take a read of this site now though jitensha seems very informative!

jitensha

"Garz" said:
I think he made a mistake on the australia III mileage, because england/wales was 1601km and I think a lap of Oz would be greater than 14.611km! ;)

Hi Garz,

Actually 14,611km for around Oz is exactly right. I've driven most of it. Cycling it would not be easy!

amaferanga

Veteran
Nick Sanders: The Great Bike Ride - Around the World in 80 Days.

Only 13000 miles, but he averaged 170 miles per day.

Like Straarup, in a different league entirely.

Garz

Squat Member
jitensha said:
Hi Garz,

Actually 14,611km for around Oz is exactly right. I've driven most of it. Cycling it would not be easy!

Yes but not 14.611 as to me that just over fourteen kilometers right? :biggrin:

Top Bottom