World Track Cycling Championship 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_L

Über Member
Houvenaghel did seem to fade very quickly in the second 1.5km. The last 1km especially she was dropping 0.3 to 0.4 s per lap. I'm not sure if she's ill or tired but i hope she picks up for he team pursuit.

Te Bheag

Dave5N said:
Leave Hugh alone. He does a pretty good job, I have found. Hs commentary at the 'cross Nationals has been superb...

Don't get me wrong - Hugh Porter is a lovely man and absolutely great at live commentary at the track, as well as being our former club chairman don'tcha know (doffs cap). It's just on TV where I think his style doesn't come over that well at times.

I think Team GB are being set up to be knocked down by the media. Brits tend not to take too well to success and IMHO the media is hoping for some upsets. But I'm sure the team will do what they do best and continue hauling in the medals.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
The studio man on Eurosport, Rob Curling used to be a news reporter on the old Thames news way back. These days he is a front man for some Sky news programs. He is not much of a sports reporter at all. On the other hand, Hugh Porter is great whilst the race is on, unfortunately when the cameras are on him he doesn't come across that well.

Skip Madness

The Australian team sprint was stunning, particularly that awesome start by Anna Meares. Highlight of the racing so far for me.

The Brits going in tomorrow's events are:

Men's Kilometre Time Trial:
David Daniell

Women's Scratch Race:
Lizzie Armitstead

Men's Team Pursuit:
Jonny Bellis, Steven Burke, Ed Clancy and Peter Kennaugh

Although they both performed well in the World Cup, Daniell and Armitstead are really up against it tomorrow. I am looking forward to it though, especially the scratch.

Skip Madness

XXXXXXXXXX SPOILER SPOILER XXXXXXXXXX

That was a very entertaining day of racing - in particular the scratch, although David Harmon had appeared to fall victim to the contagious stupidity doing the rounds this week. Armitstead's finish showed she really can mix it with the very best at the highest level in spite of her fall.

Tomorrow there is the conclusion of the women's sprint where, contrary to what the Eurosport studio thought, Pendleton and Krupeckaite will go in separate semis. If the final is between those two (and let's hope it is) it could be really explosive.

The Brits tomorrow:

Men's Madison:
Mark Cavendish and Peter Kennaugh

Women's Omnium:
Anna Blyth

Women's Sprint:
Victoria Pendleton

XXXXXXXXXX END OF SPOILER XXXXXXXXXX

claver58

Über Member
Can someone explain how Lizzie has a fall, loses a lap but still gets the silver?
Surely she was a lap behind the leaders?

claver58 said:
Can someone explain how Lizzie has a fall, loses a lap but still gets the silver?
Surely she was a lap behind the leaders?
The bloke on Eurosports explained it, if you get a p'ture or have a fall that's not your fault you get four laps to recover but its down to judge's interpretation. If she'd crossed the line 1st but a lap down, she almost did; I wonder if they would have come to the same decision ;)

screenman

Legendary Member
It is in the rules, so they must apply them. I think the ruling says the person must rejoin within 5 laps of the end of the race, they must also rejoin in much the same position or further back, they cannot draw an advantage. but I could be wrong on the detai but it should be close. Fantastic ride though

Dave5N

Über Member
screenman said:
It is in the rules, so they must apply them. I think the ruling says the person must rejoin within 5 laps of the end of the race, they must also rejoin in much the same position or further back, they cannot draw an advantage. but I could be wrong on the detai but it should be close. Fantastic ride though

That's right. That's why she was in such a rush to get back on with 8 to go.

I noticed that the Polish girl in the 'bubble and squeak' race - the five mixed events one :blush: - was a big powerful athlete! Seems an interesting concept to entertain the masses.

Thank you Skip - "Omnium" is the word I was looking for...

Skip Madness

mickeydrippin60 said:
just a bit but ime just wonderin why was she crying at the end?
A mixture of knackeredness and happiness/relief, I would imagine. That was one hard day of sprinting.

In fact I think it was the best day of sprinting in years, with very competitive women's semis and finals and men's qualifiers. The madison was excellent, too. And Josie Tomic is delivering on a lot of promise. I think she may have to choose a path for herself soon, since getting to and staying at the top level across so many road and track disciplines will be too much.

Pendleton and Jess Varnish are both down for the keirin tomorrow, although how much Pendleton will have left at this stage is up in the air. Lizzie Armitstead will be going in the points race and has a good chance at another medal - the start list is near-identical to that of the scratch. Personally I fancied her chances at this more than the scratch beforehand, but I do not know how sore she is after that crash - it is probably more painful now than it was at the time. Jonny Bellis is Britain's entry for the omnium. I do not know much about the strengths of the other competitors cross-discipline, although the presence of Taylor Phinney will scare a few.

Top Bottom