would you take the discount or have it replaced ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
My new tcr was delivered yesterday and on unpacking the bike I noticed a chip in the paintwork right where the rear skewer goes through. I have emailed the company and they have given me the choice of a replacement bike or £100 off as conpensation. Obviously with the amount of times the rear wheel comes off the bike these areas are prone to paintwork chips etc......
I think it'll be ok but what would you do
20150804_130410.jpg
20150804_130410.jpg

LocalLad

If it were me, if take the cash and get some car touch up paint...you'll never notice it down there

Garry A

Calibrating.....
My new Giant came with a small flake of paint off the fork. They were going to touch it up without telling me but left a post it note on the fork as a reminder to paint it. I took the money off and had them paint it, reckon bikes get stone chips anyway. My flake was tiny though, nowhere near the size of yours.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Take the dosh and ask for some touch up paint . Giant do this in a small pen like tube so you can colour match the paint .

zizou

Veteran
Earlier this year i rejected a frame and got a replacement rather than take the discount because it was chipped, however that chip was on the top tube, i'd likely have taken the discount if it was on the drop out.

Take the dosh and ask for some touch up paint . Giant do this in a small pen like tube so you can colour match the paint .

Do you know where to get this? Ive had a search online but havent been able to find any, could do with some for some scratches picked up on Sunday!

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Earlier this year i rejected a frame and got a replacement rather than take the discount because it was chipped, however that chip was on the top tube, i'd likely have taken the discount if it was on the drop out.

Do you know where to get this? Ive had a search online but havent been able to find any, could do with some for some scratches picked up on Sunday!
You need to ask at a giant store and they will order it for the year of bike you have . Its not a fast process and from memory the small amount of paint you get isn't cheap .

Dave7

Legendary Member
Tell them you are open to the offer but think it's worht £200.00. The worst that can happen is they say no. As others have said.........a bit of touch-up paint and within weeks you will forget it was there.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Is it just me who probably wouldn't have even bothered to contact them about that?
It's not as if it's on a prominent part of the frame, and as stated it will soon get chipped by removal and refitting of the back wheel anyway.
As things stand though, you have been offered £100 compensation which I would consider more than generous.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
It is a niggle though, your paying a lot of money for something new and you expect it to be in top condition not even slightly damaged.

400bhp

Guru
Is it just me who probably wouldn't have even bothered to contact them about that?
It's not as if it's on a prominent part of the frame, and as stated it will soon get chipped by removal and refitting of the back wheel anyway.
As things stand though, you have been offered £100 compensation which I would consider more than generous.

I wouldn't have bothered too. I had to look at the picture twice to see where the chip was.

As others have said, I'd take the 100 and buy some touch up paint.

Make sure you though, as that area will get a lot of water and be prone to rust.

Top Bottom