YACF night ride, York to Whitby, 29/10/10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
A quick heads up for the next YACF night ride - leaving York Station at midnight on Friday 29th Oct, to ride to Whitby. Apparently it's a Goth weekend in Whitby, and Halloweenish costume is encouraged! All welcome, YACF members or not.

See here for details:

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=38025.0

I'm hoping to do it on the trike, and take advantage of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway (Whitby to Pickering) for part of the return trip, before riding the rest of the way from Pickering.

It'll be pretty basic, as there doesn't seem to be scope for a halfway stop. And it might be damn cold! Pack a Thermos...

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I cant make it due to work :sad: Hope you have a good ride

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Shame. But since the Scarborough one went so well, I suspect these might become more regular - perhaps in the spring at least.

Couldn't you get transferred for the day, and drive us home on the NYMR? ;)

I'm going, if the weather isn't too gruesome - it wouldn't be fair to make everybody wait for me if the conditions are dreadful. But I'm baking, whether or not I end up riding :smile:

TimO

Guru
I'll be driving up from Croydon for this, which will involving the novelty of the bike on the roof of the car! I'd offer anyone else who wanted a lift, but I've only got the one bike carrier, and with a Corsa, there's only room for a passenger if there isn't a bike inside the car ie I can only transport a cyclist or a cycle, not both!

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'll be driving up from Croydon for this, which will involving the novelty of the bike on the roof of the car! I'd offer anyone else who wanted a lift, but I've only got the one bike carrier, and with a Corsa, there's only room for a passenger if there isn't a bike inside the car ie I can only transport a cyclist or a cycle, not both!

Even with a wheel out? We fitted three people and a bike into a fiat punto last weekend - the split rear seat half folded down, and me sitting on the one third left in place, and the front wheel out of the bike. A bit cramped, but ok. With only someone in the front, the whole back seat could fold...

My Mum has a corsa, and I agree it's not the roomiest boot, but I'd have thought a bike could be wedged in....

(apologies if I appear to be telling you how to suck eggs, and you've already tried....)

TimO

Guru
Even with a wheel out? We fitted three people and a bike into a fiat punto last weekend - the split rear seat half folded down, and me sitting on the one third left in place, and the front wheel out of the bike. A bit cramped, but ok. With only someone in the front, the whole back seat could fold...

My Mum has a corsa, and I agree it's not the roomiest boot, but I'd have thought a bike could be wedged in....

(apologies if I appear to be telling you how to suck eggs, and you've already tried....)

It might just fit with the front wheel out, but it would probably be close, and it would depend on how much leg room you needed on the passenger side, and how big the bike was.

Also, I can't entirely fold the rear seat down, because that requires the front seats not to be right back, and at 6'3" I need the seat as far back as possible! I've done it for short distances, but for 5 hours of driving I need my comfort (or as close as I can get in a Corsa!)

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ah! I see, you're one of those freaky 'tall people'... ;)

I was a bit limited in the back of that Fiat, with a 6foot pluser driving - fortunately, I'm short with short legs, so I fit into most places - also my bike's a 'small'...

I live car free, but if I ever did get one, it would be an old estate, or small van, just to make carrying bikes/trikes easy....

I live car free, but if I ever did get one, it would be an old estate, or small van, just to make carrying bikes/trikes easy....

One reason I drive a Suzuki Jimny is that my Trice Q will fit inside.
Only just, but it does fit with only the flag and back mudguard removed .......... :biggrin:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
The beauty of the Catrike Dash is that it'll fit into anything remotely estate car or people carrier sized, with no alteration at all!

The benefit of being a short arse. ;)

TimO

Guru
... I was a bit limited in the back of that Fiat, with a 6foot pluser driving ...
When I was a student, one of my flatmates had a Fiat 500, and with all four of us in the car, I had to sit in the front passenger seat. If I was in the back, I had to sit sideways, so there was no room for anyone else!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I honestly dont see the attraction of riding through the night. OK the roads are quieter but for me the scenery is part of the attraction. Whatever floats your boat though so good luck.

Top Bottom