Year 6 Cycling project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sw3008

Guru
My 11 year old daughter is doing a project/presentation on cycling for her end of year 6 prize.

I was wondering if any of you had suggestions as to what she could include & any ideas for things she could take in to exhibit.

She's contacted a few "famous" cyclists see here, but is still waiting some responses.

All ideas will be considered & gratefully received.

Thanks in Advance.

SW

Melvil

She could bring in things which demonstrate how tough and fast professional cyclists are (no drugs, obviously!), as well as the technology behind them. E.G.

A big pile of Chocolate bars / fruit / food / drink etc (or the wrappers, to save weight) and say 'this is how much food a tour de france cyclist gets through and it's still not enough to fill them up'

Some lycra, get the other kids to feel how smooth it is, 'that's so that the wind can just slip by and they'll go faster'

...test a cycling helmet to destruction? (with teacher's help of course!)

Find out how much power a cyclist generates per stage and bring in some device that uses a similar amount of electrical power (preferably clunky and noisy for added effect!)

Get a fan in and put it on full, then get a kid to stand in front of it (i.e. hair goes back, lots of resistance etc) - then get someone else to stand in front of the kid - result, kid feels much less wind - explain the person at the back doesn't have to make so much effort - i.e. drafting.

That's all the ideas I have, hope it helps.

Mel.

Top Bottom