Yes it's another new bike help question....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maisie65

Well I'm considering upgrading my bike as 6 gears is really not working for me anymore, now that I'm travelling further. As you can see from my first post I made the mistake of buying an Apollo Metis from Halfords and it's seen me good for the last 2.5 years.

The problem is I don't really have much money to spend and need something around the £250.00. Not wanting to go back to Halfords, I looked on Google for my nearest LBS (yes I've been reading the forums) and the one with the best reviews is Edds Bikes in Stevenage. I rang this morning and they suggested a Dawes Discovery bike that would suit my commutes on the cycle paths (tarmac) and gentle rides on cycle tracks (gritty stuff).

http://dawescycles.com/product-cate...scovery/2016-bikes-discovery-bikes-discovery/

I wondered if anyone knew if these were suitable, and if it would be okay to go for the lowest end bike £219.99 discovery trail. An additional problem is that the shop does not have any Dawes bikes in stock but would order in according to size and then fit to me. So I don't get to see it in the flesh really before it's ordered. Although they did say that if it didn't fit then they take responsibility for that and I wouldn't be forced to buy it.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

KneesUp

Guru
You could just change the crankset on your current bike to give you more gears, if that is the only problem with it.

OP
OP
Maisie65

Maisie65

But since I have read all the comments about Apollo bikes I have developed an inferior complex. :biggrin: I am sure all the other cyclists pass me with scorn when they see my bike. So I would really like to upgrade the whole thing.

I don't have an Evans near me unfortunately. I'd have to go into London or up to Cambridge. But I like the deal they offer. I wonder if my bike shop would match it?

Are Dawes a decent make of bike?

vickster

Legendary Member
But since I have read all the comments about Apollo bikes I have developed an inferior complex. :biggrin: I am sure all the other cyclists pass me with scorn when they see my bike. So I would really like to upgrade the whole thing.

I don't have an Evans near me unfortunately. I'd have to go into London or up to Cambridge. But I like the deal they offer. I wonder if my bike shop would match it?

Are Dawes a decent make of bike?
Yep, solid workhorse bikes

There's someone on here who has the Discovery... @MarkF

There's no harm in asking the LBS if they can do a deal, I doubt they'd match a big chain, but might chuck in a free service or two or some accessories? Always worth asking :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Dawes are fine, although now owned by Tandem Group along with Claud Butler, Falcon, Holdsworth and others.

But then, I've got an Apollo among the ones in the shed. It's heavy and on winter duties but OK apart from that.

On the gears, more does not necessarily mean better. For most people, it's about the range.

KneesUp

Guru
What sort of riding do you do @Maisie65 Is it mainly on road or on bridleways, towpaths and that sort of surface?

MarkF

Guru
Yep, solid workhorse bikes

There's someone on here who has the Discovery... @MarkF

There's no harm in asking the LBS if they can do a deal, I doubt they'd match a big chain, but might chuck in a free service or two or some accessories? Always worth asking :smile:

Yes, I've had lots 201, 301, 401 & 501, still have the latter after nearly a decade. Robust simple bikes that have good residual values. Yeah, my 501 is way nicer to ride than the 201 but if I only had £250 to buy a new bike, I'd go and buy a 201.

I've ridden one of these across countries, wonder how much it'll fetch, £150? Tektro brakes Deore gears, carbon forks.........

Top Bottom