Yet another from Manchester (well, nearly)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

- Baz -

Hi all! Brief synopsis: Starting to commute by bike in the near future. About 14 miles round trip. Used to do lots of cycling in my 20s but haven't done any since. I'm now in my fifties (yikes!). Started running 5K three times a week about a year ago, and loved it. Lost some weight and saw my times coming down, but left off in the appalling winter, so hope I'm still up to it.

Lots of the usual reasons to do this: get fitter, save time (current two buses is taking about 80 mins each way (a big chunk of my life lost!), save lots of money, etc. etc. - and last but not least, to enjoy my cycling again.

Did lots of research and the most bike for the money I have (had) available is a hybrid - Ridgeback Rapide Equipt Speed from Evans. Ordered Monday night and delivered Wednesday lunchtime! Now just need all the kit to go with it, and I'm good to go...

Looking forward to getting back in the saddle and looking forward to learning lots and contributing too when I can!

Will let you all know how it goes...

Fingers crossed...

Baz

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Hello:welcome:

bauldbairn

Hello Baz and Welcome to the CC forums from the "real" north. :sad: B)

OP
OP
- Baz -

- Baz -

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Colin - I'm originally from Bradford so a thoroughbred tyke... Now just between Oldham and Ashton (Bardsley).

I've seen many brave lads tackling the hill just outside Denshaw over the Pennines and always envied them. Wonder if I'll ever do the round trip on the bike to Bradford see my mother before either me or the old girl croaks!!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
- Baz - said:
Colin - I'm originally from Bradford so a thoroughbred tyke... Now just between Oldham and Ashton (Bardsley).

I've seen many brave lads tackling the hill just outside Denshaw over the Pennines and always envied them. Wonder if I'll ever do the round trip on the bike to Bradford see my mother before either me or the old girl croaks!!
I'm actually what the locals call an offcumden, born in the Midlands to a Scottish mother and an English father. I saw sense after going to university in Manchester and moved here 24 years ago. The Midlands look awfully flat to me now!

You aren't far from CycleChat stalwart longers. I'm sure he'd be happy to accompany you on a foray up into the hills.

I often organise hilly CC forum rides from Hebden Bridge and you'd be welcome to pop over and join us.

You must do that ride to Bradford some time. I rode from Hebden Bridge to Coventry to visit my mum (141 miles)!

Which area of Bradford do you need to get to? If it is the western side, I can think of some cracking routes to get you there. I suppose if it was to the east, you could use the same routes but then you'd have to ride across the city.

OP
OP
- Baz -

- Baz -

ColinJ said:
...I often organise hilly CC forum rides from Hebden Bridge and you'd be welcome to pop over and join us.

You must do that ride to Bradford some time. I rode from Hebden Bridge to Coventry to visit my mum (141 miles)!

Which area of Bradford do you need to get to? If it is the western side, I can think of some cracking routes to get you there. I suppose if it was to the east, you could use the same routes but then you'd have to ride across the city.
Thanks for the offer Colin! I just might take you up on it. Though at the moment the 14 mile round trip to Manchester seems like a major expedition... ;) Only a week to go before D-Day... Bet it's throwing it down!

If I ever did the Bradford trip I need to get to the west side - Thornton. Every way I can see to get there is up bloody big hills, so any easy routes appreciated!

And well done on the Coventry trip. I'm seriously impressed! Couple of questions though - my geography is pants - did you bike back, too (after tea :thumbsup:)? And is a hybrid the right bike for 25 mile plus trips?

Thanks for the encouragement!

Baz

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
- Baz - said:
If I ever did the Bradford trip I need to get to the west side - Thornton. Every way I can see to get there is up bloody big hills, so any easy routes appreciated!
Ah, I love the hills so I usually plot my routes to go over them rather than round them. The least hilly roads are usually the busiest ones.

Actually, you could ride to Hebden Bridge along the Rochdale canal towpath from Littleborough, That's as flat as you'll get apart from a few locks.

To get to Thornton from here though, you'd have to tackle at least one big hill, and probably two. If You went straight up the Keighley Road and over to Oxenhope you could then ride up Denholme Road and that gets you within 4 km of Thornton. The climb from Hebden Bridge is moderately steep but it goes on for about 7 km! The Denholme climb is shorter but very steep in a few places.

Your hybrid should have pretty low gears to help you on the climbs, but yes, they are a bit tough until you get used to them!

- Baz - said:
And well done on the Coventry trip. I'm seriously impressed! Couple of questions though - my geography is pants - did you bike back, too (after tea :biggrin:)?

Er, no - I stayed there for a week and then rode back!

I found the outward trip easier because the hardest climbs came early on when I had fresh legs, and the ride got easier as I approached Coventry.

Going the other way, Snake Pass had been closed for resurfacing so I was forced to make a scenic detour over Strines Moor which leads to a brutal 25% climb at Ewden Bank! :becool:

- Baz - said:
And is a hybrid the right bike for 25 mile plus trips?
If it suits you, it is! A hybrid bike is what it says it is. It's a useful compromise between a mountain bike and a full-on road bike if you only want one bike. I prefer to ride a mountain bike off-road and a racing bike on-road so I have both.

I've done quite long road rides with people riding various types of bike including hybrids, and small-wheeled bikes like Moultons and Bromptons.

OP
OP
- Baz -

- Baz -

Colin - Many thanks for all the advice and encouragement. It's much appreciated. Will bear the routes in mind if I'm ever insane enough to try a trip over the Pennines. As I mentioned earlier, the daily commute seems like a round the world trip at the mo! :sad:

Best wishes and safe cycling!

Baz

Top Bottom