Yet another gear problem, I've given up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
My utility bike, a Specialized Crossroads. I have fitted my own crank, cassette and chain to convert it to 27 speed. I have an issue when in the smallest cassette ring. When turning the drive train in that gear, regardless of what chain ring I am in, the chain 'slips' on the smallest cassette ring Its the same when the bike is on the work stand or being ridden. I have done everything I can think of to sort out this issue. The chain line is fine, I have changed the cassette, I have changed the chain, and changed the length of the chain. I even changed the wheel, I've changed the rear mech, and the jockey wheels. I twiddled the 'adjust screw' on the rear mech both ways. No matter what combination I use, the chain slips when on the smallest cog. I have actually given up and used the limit screws to change it to a 24 speed set up. I've always been able to sort out gear issues, for myself and others, and always believed I had a good understanding of the problems that can be encountered, but this has baffled me. I chose to post this thread just to see if anyone has also had any sort of issue, to which there seems to be no solution ?

Post a good, in-focus photo of the chain in the slipping position. Make sure we can see the entire jockey. Then we'll talk.

gbb

Legendary Member
You haven't mentioned changing shifters...I'm assuming you have.

Check very closely your cable routing.under the BB assuming it is routed that way and ...I'm trying to remember which derailleur I had this with once, the cable routing at the clamps. I seem to remember getting it slightly wrong once, caused shifting problems, once I realised...all OK.

OP
OP
Psycolist

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Yes, I have changed the shifters, and that made no difference at all, and as a result have re-cabled the bike 3 times, set it up to start, re-cabled when changed shifters, inners and outers, and re-cabled when put back the first set of shifters, and I have experienced that pinching of the cable when fitting a stand, so have suffered that very thing on my hybrid. Thanks for the offer Mr Saddle, I may well do that when I get a spare moment, but this weekend is a fishing trip with my son, and we are going by bike :>)

gbb

Legendary Member
Not much help perhaps but just proffering my experiences..
Again, similar, struggled once to get a bike set up although I suspect it was through a range of gears, eventually took the wheel out for some reason...put it back, instantly worked OK????
I can only assume I'd had the wheel in slightly skewed.

OP
OP
Psycolist

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
IRO of this afore said difficulty. SOLVED ! For anyone that may be vaguely interested........I was bought a trailer for Xmas with which to transport my fishing equipment to and from the lakes. When fitting the connecting bracket to the rear axle I remembered that I had the gears set so that they didn't drop onto the smallest ring because of the skipping problem. I will give it one last look I thought and very quickly adjusted to stop screw to allow the chain to drop down onto the bottom ring. Straight away, the skipping began, but this time the reason was clear to me. I could see that the lock ring was stopping the chain sitting into the teeth properly. When I popped the wheel off and took a look, it was clear that I had used a lock ring from a 12 tooth bottom ring cassette when actually using an 11 toothed ring, and the little extra width of the lock ring was enough to stop the chain dropping on to the teeth properly. I was surprised the lock ring fitted, but it clearly did, and I must have re used the same one every time I altered things around, meaning the same problem no matter which chain or which wheel or which cassette I tried. Why I did not spot the problem previously is any ones guess, but its reminded me to not just look, but to see what you are looking at. So HAPPY NEW YEAR, to all of you and I have all my gears back running sweetly as they are supposed to, and I am also quite pleased that no one actually guessed the correct solution to said problem.

Top Bottom