Yet another newbie....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dunbar

Über Member
Hi folks,

I shall probably get laughed at, because at 71 I am thinking of getting on a bike again.
I last rode about 20 years ago. Things have changed somewhat I know. Bikes don't look much like the one I bought in 1964. (A 'Frank Dyke' built special from Winson Green Road) Still have it, in the attic!) and I can buy a nice looking 'mountain-bike' bike from Asda, for less than I paid for mine.

Anyhow, the main thing here is to say hi to everyone, and to promise to get some riding in, as soon as my 'metal-mickey' knee settles down enough.

So I am hoping to get a 19" bike from somewhere, that doesn't look like a youngster's stunt bike, but has 1 million gears, so I don't need to pedal too hard!

Yes, okay, I know it doesn't quite work like that.

So hi again, and I hope to make some new friends and learn a bit.
Regards

John :whistle:

Tsharman

Hi John,
Well done you. You go for it fella! Dont worry about people laughing at you, as i'm sure they wont, well not on here anyways. Iv'e only just joined cyclechat after lurking for ages. Just thought i'd say hello to you and give you some praise for taking up cycling again at your young age. hope to talk again sometime so drop me a line and keep them pedals turning mate. :biggrin:

Tony

Hi folks,

I shall probably get laughed at, because at 71 I am thinking of getting on a bike again.
I last rode about 20 years ago. Things have changed somewhat I know. Bikes don't look much like the one I bought in 1964. (A 'Frank Dyke' built special from Winson Green Road) Still have it, in the attic!) and I can buy a nice looking 'mountain-bike' bike from Asda, for less than I paid for mine.

Anyhow, the main thing here is to say hi to everyone, and to promise to get some riding in, as soon as my 'metal-mickey' knee settles down enough.

So I am hoping to get a 19" bike from somewhere, that doesn't look like a youngster's stunt bike, but has 1 million gears, so I don't need to pedal too hard!

Yes, okay, I know it doesn't quite work like that.

So hi again, and I hope to make some new friends and learn a bit.
Regards

John :whistle:
[/quote]

Arch

Married to Night Train
Welcome John!

It's never too late to start again...

One thing to be wary of though. Those cheap mountain bikes might look like a bargain, but they will probably be awful to ride. Anything cheap with suspension is simply something with heavy extra components that soak up your effort. Many cheap bikes have components made of cheese-metal, and are very hard to keep well adjusted. Big knobbly tyres don't roll easily, and soak up more effort.

That bike you have in your attic - what's it like? I bet if it was handbuilt, 40 years ago, it's nice. Would you still be able to ride it? With some new tyres and innertubes, and a check over at a bike shop for brake and gear function, it might be good as new. The basic bike design hasn't changed much since the turn of the last century, after all!

On the other hand, if it is too highly geared for you, or you find that your new bionic knee means you need something else, it might be worth seeing if you can get better fr your budget - maybe something second hand, as opposed to bargain basement new. Anyway, ask here and youll get plenty of advice - probably all contradictory! ;)

As for age - I have a friend who's well into her 70's and just completed the second half of her Lands End to John O'Groats, done in two chunks over two annual summer holidays. It's how old you are in your mind that matters.

OP
OP
Dunbar

Dunbar

Über Member
Hi TS and Arch,

Thanks to you for the replies.

No I don't think I would buy a bike from Asda. I just happened to see some this morning, and one look was enough! It did cross my mind that those tyres might be hard to get going!
However, in a street near me, there is a guy who recons and sells bikes, so he might have something suitable.

For info purposes, the bike in my attic has a Major Nichols frame, and was built for me with mid-range components. In those days I didn't need to go around the world to get bits either. (Except for the crank set and sprockets maybe!) I had to compromise a little in those days, but in 1964 £65.00 was a high enough price for a bike!

To be honest, its 21" down tube would be too much now, so I reckon I need a 19" and something to take my considerable weight increase without bending! ;)

Thanks again folks, and it's nice to be here.

John

Arch

Married to Night Train
However, in a street near me, there is a guy who recons and sells bikes, so he might have something suitable.

That sounds like a good idea! If he's got a good selection, you can try a few out and see what feels comfortable.

Wow, £65 in 1964, that must have been a big chunk of dosh!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:hello: Dunbar (John) and :welcome: to CycleChat !

Chapeau to you for getting back on your bike (in the mind at the moment but soon to be a reality :wahhey:)

The amazing proliferation of types of bikes over the past 20 years has actually made life easier for the cyclist. Previously, you had the choice of an 'ordinary' bike or a racer.

Now, you can chose a bike for the specific type of riding you are going to do. You may find that a flat-barred hybrid is more comfortable for you and plenty quick enough. :thumbsup:

Drop-barred bikes do require a fair degree of back/hip flexibility and I know it reduces with age :sad:. Flat-barred bikes keep you more upright and can be nearly as fast.

Thanks for coming on CC and keep in touch !

G81

Hi John,
Hats off to you for your determination to get started, I'm sure you will find all the help and advice you will ever need on CC and make plenty of new friends in the process.
Enjoy finding your new bike and getting out into the open air, looking forward to hearing of your progress.

OP
OP
Dunbar

Dunbar

Über Member
Wow, £65 in 1964, that must have been a big chunk of dosh!

Ummmm... yes I suppose so. I'd saved up for some time to get her. I tried to work out today's equivalent. I reckon £65.00 was 6 or 8 weeks 'take-home' back then. I won't bore anyone with the full spec, but I think it would be four figures today! But she's been a good servant; in constant use until the mid 1990s, still running the same Huret gears and in original livery. shall I say she made a Dawes Galaxy look right plain! Shame I can't resurrect her, but I have to be sensible. I am going for flat bars, and if I can get one, a proper sprung, mattress saddle. The Brooks can stay in its muslin bag for posterity!

I found a nearby branch of the CTC, who have a weekly ride for oldies, and apparently don't mind me bringing my bike on the back of the car, until I get fit enough to ride to meets. So, I am setting out my stall.

Thanks G81 and Scoosh too. It's nice to be among friendly folk.

John :thumbsup:

bauldbairn

Hello Dunbar and welcome to the Cycle Chat forums. :smile:

Congratulations on your return to cycling - I'm sure you'll feel the benefit of it.

Keep us up to date with your progress?

Good luck and all the best. :thumbsup:

Chrisc

Guru
Ummmm... yes I suppose so. I'd saved up for some time to get her. I tried to work out today's equivalent. I reckon £65.00 was 6 or 8 weeks 'take-home' back then. I won't bore anyone with the full spec, but I think it would be four figures today! But she's been a good servant; in constant use until the mid 1990s, still running the same Huret gears and in original livery. shall I say she made a Dawes Galaxy look right plain! Shame I can't resurrect her, but I have to be sensible. I am going for flat bars, and if I can get one, a proper sprung, mattress saddle. The Brooks can stay in its muslin bag for posterity!

I found a nearby branch of the CTC, who have a weekly ride for oldies, and apparently don't mind me bringing my bike on the back of the car, until I get fit enough to ride to meets. So, I am setting out my stall.

Thanks G81 and Scoosh too. It's nice to be among friendly folk.

John :thumbsup:

Welcome! Sounds like you have it all sorted, bet you can't wait to get back out once the knee settles. Definitely the right place for friendly folk! :biggrin:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Welcome aboard. What an inspirational story. I hope your return to cycling puts a big smile on your face, because it certainly has mine.

Andy.

OP
OP
Dunbar

Dunbar

Über Member
Thanks Bauld - Chris,

I suppose I shall feel the benefits, once I get past the feeling of saddle-sore!

Thanks again.

Regards
John

:thumbsup:

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Your old bike sounds a corker! You'll not go wrong with most modern machines though it is worth asking questions here as much as you like, you'll no doubt get conflicting opinion but mostly people will point you in the right direction. I wish I'd done a bit more research prior to buying my first roadbike last year, I bought a size too big and now it's going to be sold - very unfortunate as it's a lovely bike!

OP
OP
Dunbar

Dunbar

Über Member
Well Monster,

Thanks for that reply. My old bike is still a corker if I could get it going, for me. Too far advanced though in years! Me that is.

I have an idea what I would like. I don't need 'tubs' (if they are still around) and will settle for 27 x 1 and 1/4 wheels, with normal tyres and inners. Ally rims, and centre pull, caliper brakes. Flat bars and a comfy saddle. Wide pedals and clips. And of course a few more gears than I needed 40 years ago! I would like Campag, but I will settle for Shimano! Dream bike for less than £150.00? :smile:

John ! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Dunbar

Dunbar

Über Member
Welcome aboard. What an inspirational story. I hope your return to cycling puts a big smile on your face, because it certainly has mine.

Andy.
Hi Andy,

So I put a smile on your face. That's good, but then I did say people would laugh.. ;)

It's okay my friend, I know what you meant and I don't mind folk laughing with me anytime. :biggrin:

Regards
John

Top Bottom