Yorkshire Dales forum ride from Settle, Sun 26th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Something different this time folks and potentially one of the best forum rides that I've ever organised! :becool:

Steve H has been kind enough to offer me a lift so I am able to start this ride in Settle, on the western fringes of the Dales. That allows us to do a good ride up there without having to 'use up' a lot of our quota of miles on the roads to and from Hebden Bridge.

Meet in Settle in front of Ye Olde Naked Man Cafe on Sunday, 26th June (2011!) at 09:45 with a view to setting off at 10:00. I think the ride will take us about 8 hours including stops, maybe longer; it definitely won't be quick so if you like to ride fast, it isn't a ride for you!

On Streetview, I can see a car park across the road from the meeting place but I don't know if that is long-stay ...

* Does anybody know the best place in Settle for all-day parking on a Sunday? *

The route that I've planned is 113 km and has a little over 2,000 m of climbing (70 miles and 7,000 ft for the imperialists). Those of you who enjoyed Spring Into The Dales will love this one!

There is no avoiding the fact that the climbs are hard. I repeat - the climbs are hard! If you don't enjoy climbing, you won't enjoy this ride. We will be tackling the tough climb from Dent station over to Garsdale Head, and Fleet Moss from the (harder) Hawes side plus quite a few other smaller beauties.

*IMPORTANT* - there are multiple climbs and descents up to 20%-25% in gradient so make extra sure that your brakes and transmission are in perfect working order!

Unusually for my rides though, we will also have a long, gloriously easy section. From the summit of Fleet Moss we will have about 27 km (17 miles) down Langstrothsdale, Wharfedale and Littondale before the climbing starts again on the run back to Settle via Malham Tarn.

Usual rules - climb at your own pace if you want to, but wait at summits for slower riders like me. Nobody will be left behind. Be aware though, that this is not a ride for inexperienced cyclists. If you are not confident in your ability to ride 50 hilly miles with some tough climbs at 20%, I would suggest that a 70-miler with the odd stretch of 25% is not yet for you! ;)

The route is: Settle, Little Stainforth, Austwick, Clapham, Ingleton, Kingsdale/Deepdale, Dent, Dent Station, Garsdale Head, Hawes (cafe stop), Fleet Moss (!), Langstrothdale, Kettlewell, Arncliffe, Malham Tarn, Langcliffe, Settle.

I have some bailout options planned in case we are unlucky with the weather

I will be update this post later with more details. In the mean time, if you are free on Sun 26th June, can get to Settle and like the sound of this ride, post below and I'll add you to the rider list.

Route map on Bikely

Route profile

settle-hawes-profile.gif
Riders
  • Steve H + ColinJ
  • colly + Calum + Bokonon
  • zacklaws
  • swarm_catcher
  • Kestevan + 1 or 2 mates
  • pubrunner (+bromptonfb?)
  • tubbycyclist (from Dent to Kettlewell)
  • PaulB + Liam
  • Fiona N
Possibles
  • dan_bo
  • Pennine-Paul
  • evilclive + partner on tandem

Colin, that sounds like a fantastic route and one I would definitely be signing up for. :tongue:

However, I may not have told you but my other outdoor leisure activity is rock climbing. Three weeks ago I was involved in an accident which resulted in a fractured left ankle and a badly injured right hand. :sad: The prognosis seems good but I don't think I'll be able to go anywhere near a bike (or a rock) until August at the earliest.

I hope you get the weather we had on SPITD and that you enjoy the ride as much as I enjoyed that one - the countryside is stunning.

Steve H

Large Member
Colin, that sounds like a fantastic route and one I would definitely be signing up for. :tongue:

However, I may not have told you but my other outdoor leisure activity is rock climbing. Three weeks ago I was involved in an accident which resulted in a fractured left ankle and a badly injured right hand. :sad: The prognosis seems good but I don't think I'll be able to go anywhere near a bike (or a rock) until August at the earliest.

I hope you get the weather we had on SPITD and that you enjoy the ride as much as I enjoyed that one - the countryside is stunning.

Sorry to hear that STASS. Shame you won't be out and about on rides during early summer. I've been up to Settle this weekend. We were camping in the Dales and we popped into Settle for a spot of lunch. Whilst I was there, I've booked us some really good weather for this ride in a couple of weeks time!:tongue:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ouch! Bad luck on the injuries, but it sounds as though you actually had a narrow escape and it could have been worse. I hope you make a rapid recovery and will be able to join us on another forum ride before the summer is out.

I climbed up some large craggy coastal rocks on Friday in Scotland and realised once I got up there that it was a heck of a lot easier going up than it was coming down! I don't have a head for heights and I was way out of my comfort zone. I realised that one mistake could mean a fall of about 12 ft onto large boulders. I chickened out and painfully clambered through some gorse bushes to get to a longer but safer route down! :whistle:

Alun

Guru
It sounds good Colin, I won't be able to make it though as I'm going to a 40th on the Saturday night.
A shame as I saw that both Millar and Contador had embraced the dark side and were running MTB cassettes for the Giro, so I've followed suit. Hope the weather is kind to you !

colly

Re member eR
Sounds like a good one Colin and it's an easy drive for me up to Settle as well.

It will depend on whether I can get a pass out. I have been out most the best part of today, I'm busy and out most of the w/e of the 12th, I am out all the previous Saturday riding over to Filey..

...Sooooooo If I am to make it I think some SERIOUS buttering up and creeping will be required.:smile:

Just as well I am well practiced.:biggrin:

moxey

Bugger !!! :angry:

It's another no for me. I work shifts and after today I'm off for 2 and half weeks with some hols but I'm back to work from the 24th :sad:

I'm doing the C2C July 16th + 17th on The Reivers route so need to get some miles in the legs

I will make a forum ride one day !!!

Ajay

Veteran
Oooh, a great route Colin, some real chain-stretchers in there! A proper test of rider and machine, BRAAAKE :eek:
Unfortunately I cant make it as I'll be down in Wiltshire for a wedding.
Have a great ride guys.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

dan_bo: Gears for this for one, methinks! I'll put you down as one of the 'possibles'.

Alun, Ajay: Enjoy those shindigs and see you on a later ride. Maybe the full route of the Bowland ride we shortened recently due to rain? (Some time in July.)

colly: Get the Lurpak in! You're now on the 'possibles' list.

moxey: Watch out for Bowland II - This Time There Are No Shortcuts!

Potsy, bromptonfb ... anybody else?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Put me down for a possible,dont know if I'll have use of the car that weekend

If anyone wants to share petrol costs and give us a lift that would be most appreciated :thumbsup:

Will be sticking a freewheel on the flipflop wheel for this one :laugh:

Okay Paul, you are on the list!

What happened to the geared bike - was it too much of a change switching from fixed?

Some of the climbs will be an awfully long walk without extra gears! Fleet Moss from Hawes averages 6% for 5.6 km but it gets harder the higher you go, maxing out at 25%.

Steve H

Large Member
Some of the climbs will be an awfully long walk without extra gears! Fleet Moss from Hawes averages 6% for 5.6 km but it gets harder the higher you go, maxing out at 25%.

eek2.gif
eek2.gif
eek2.gif
Not sure I really wanted to know this! Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

Attachments

• eek2.gif
    eek2.gif
    570 bytes · Views: 85
  • eek2.gif
    eek2.gif
    570 bytes · Views: 76
Okay Paul, you are on the list!

What happened to the geared bike - was it too much of a change switching from fixed?

Could'nt get my head around gears again,been too long s/s and fixed I guess

The hill i live on is about 20% and I can walk up that pushing my bike faster than

the mtb's can crawl up in granny gear

will be geared lower than my fixed tho around 64inches

Top Bottom