Yorkshire Dales forum ride from Settle, Sun 26th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Looking back on this thread, before the ride, it's amusing to see these comments from evilclive . . . . . . .
And looking back on this thread, before the ride, it's amusing to see these comments from pubrunner . . . . . . .

Sadly, I've only done 14 miles in the last three weeks - I did that yesterday.

I would have done more, but my plans were stymied by the missus, who told me that "as I would be away all next Sunday" (on the ride), "I should be getting some work done in the garden".

So, I'm not as fit as I'd like to be, but the garden looks great ! :rolleyes:
You must have the longest 'muscle memory' in human history to be able to do what you did yesterday on so little riding! Either that, or you are a born athlete who just doesn't need much exercise to stay fit ... (Pubrunner never struggled, and finished the ride looking really fresh!)

potsy

Rambler
Some great write ups there guys, sounds like a really tough but enjoyable day.
There does seem to be an awful lot of pics of Colin walking though, did you ride up any of the hills? ;)

Hope to be free for next week, might mean a bit of juggling of my plans but will try my best to be there :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There does seem to be an awful lot of pics of Colin walking though, did you ride up any of the hills? ;)
There's no escaping it - I did more walking on that ride than I have done in any other the past 10 years! I'm just too fat and unfit to get up the really hard stuff now, even with my low gears. :sad:

I knew before I set off that I would probably walk the top of Fleet Moss. We are probably talking about 400 metres or so. The trouble is, the road goes up about 80 metres in those 400! I was getting sore arms and shoulders just walking the bike up.

The Arncliffe climb was harder than I expected. I rode up the first bit which is probably about 10% but didn't like the look of the 20-ish % section that followed!

Apart from those 2 b*stards, I rode up everything else. Very slowly, yes, and sometimes stopping mid-climb to stretch my aching back, but I did ride them.

If When I get fit enough, I'll organise a repeat of yesterday's ride and see if I can ride up everything. What's more, you can turn out for that one too. Don't worry though, I'm talking about this time next year! :thumbsup:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
(Pubrunner never struggled, and finished the ride looking really fresh!)

That; was down to the Guinness :cheers: - it's good for you !

And looking back on this thread, before the ride, it's amusing to see these comments from pubrunner . . . . . . .

You must have the longest 'muscle memory' in human history to be able to do what you did yesterday on so little riding! Either that, or you are a born athlete who just doesn't need much exercise to stay fit ... (Pubrunner never struggled, and finished the ride looking really fresh!)

Nah ! The photos don't lie !

I look . . . . . . . a fat b*stard !

Good call! Who's free next weekend :whistle: ?

I don't think I'd be able to get a 'pass' for next weekend. :sad:

Funny thing; I was thinking of organising a ride where I live, but I thought the area was too hilly :rofl: .

I don't have that view now; I'd have to work hard to design a route as tough as the one that we did yesterday.

evilclive

The observant among you will note the maximum speed recorded on Clive and Sarah's tracklog was 79 kph! (That's 49 mph folks!)

Speedo said 81.5 kph on the same section :-)

I quite liked that descent - lots of visibility, not _too_ steep, enough track free from gravel, so good fun.

C'mon, evilclive & Sarah - we need to hear your version of the events; how you whizzed past (humbled) all those namby pamby cyclists - some of whom, had uber-light carbon fibre frames.

By not having a uber-light carbon fibre frame :-) The big heavy stable bike wins in those sorts of situations - it's massively more reassuring to ride quickly than a solo, and the weight of two bodies with the frontal area of one means we can do so downhill. The rest is just natural yobbishness :whistle:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Loved it, me. Had a great day and Colin deserves great credit for coming up with that route which is an absolute cracker. Unfortunate that our Liam missed it but I sang its praises so much, he's asked me to take him round it before summer's out.

So this morning, my wife informed me she'd be getting her arm checked out after her fall FOUR WEEKS AGO which she's been complaining about ever since. The reason she hadn't gone to get it looked at? She feared it might be broken and didn't want the cast on her arm in our Liam's wedding photographs! Women, eh? Anyway, I had a PM appointment in Liverpool so had a fairly late start until I got a call from Mrs PaulB who informed me they had indeed diagnosed a fracture so they had to plaster her arm meaning she couldn't drive her car back. Could I go and pick her up? Well I could, but obviously I couldn't drive down or we'd have to leave one car there. I foolishly said I'd run down and no problems. Unfortunately, in the same spot on the direct route (canal bank) there are two evil bouncers who are vindictive to human beings. You don't mess with geese and two of them were babysitting a very small gosling. They wouldn't let anyone past, even one adventurous cyclist who was prevented from being in their vicinity. They screamed, hissing and being very aggressive to her so she had to re-configure her plans. This meant me re-routing, adding about 20% on to the distance on this morning of blisteringly hot temperatures with my legs feeling like they did after yesterday. I had to literally race this to get back in time for a shower and set off for Liverpool.

I'm back now and absolutely Crawfords.

All in the rich tapestry of life, eh?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
as usual, well done colin, an excellent route. shame i didn't get to complete but tc's tyre was buggered and the group would have been too far in front for me to even attempt a catch (still managed 42 hilly miles). plus, i didn't know the route.

still not all lost, nice to be back on a serious ride after my infection, not up to my usual self but still really enjoyed it. thanks to the lads who gave me a lift.

i reckon that if i ask pennine_paul he'd be up for going back and riding it fixed, whaddya reckon paul? in the next few weeks?

good photo's zack.

cheers colin.

i reckon that if i ask pennine_paul he'd be up for going back and riding it fixed, whaddya reckon paul? in the next few weeks

well I'd struggle getting there without a car cos thats going back this week

If i was to have a go it would be with other fixie riders/masochists/Nutters,

then I'm not holding everybody up

would'nt be reaching the tandem speeds that's for sure,a lesurely 20mph more like :laugh:

and screaming like a big girly on the descents

and 2 mph up the hills :laugh:

Think my next epic rides gonna be in Cheshire,much more fixie friendly

The mrs is still in hosp,they still not sure what it is,She's got e-coli in her blood and got

symptoms of sepsis both of which can be life threatening,the antibiotics are bringing her temp down tho

So fingers crossed she's on the mend

colly

Re member eR
Great ride again Colin.:thumbsup:

Thanks for organising it. I can't make up my mind whether you are a sadist or a masochist. You do turn out and suffer like the rest of us so I think it's an even call.

And what was it with that 1 in 7 just before Settle?? We all thought we had done with hills by then.

Me, Bokonon, Calum and the Dynaminc Duo on the tandem got back to Settle around 8 o'clock I think. Followed a little later by Kesteven and IG88.

IG88 described the ride as ''invigorating''.

Nice to see some faces too. (I have some pics on my phone but will have to wait a day or so to get them from there to here.

Bucko and PubRunner took the prizes for me yesterday. Bucko is new to cycling (6 weeks or so) and PubRunner by his own admission rides 14 miles or so every other week. You guys must have some serious base fitness.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

ps. I have a spare glove in the van so it's either Will's or Calum's.

Sounds like a typical ColinJ ride - challenging, eventful and sociable in appropriate measure, all played out against a background of stunning (steep!) scenery. Well done everyone, I hope no lasting damage has been done to cyclist or cycle. Needless to say, I hope you'll do it again, Colin, and that I'll be able to join you.

Pennine Paul, I hope your wife will be able to make a speedy recovery.

potsy

Rambler
I live too far south to join these rides. I enjoy reading the reports and the photos. Would someone like to put some names to some of the faces?

The fat one doing a lot of walking is Colinj-
The tall fat one doing a lot of walking is Steve H.

Hope that helps :biggrin:

Top Bottom