You cannot be sirrus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicykell

Last September, at 14 stone 10 and 5 ft 6 I was decidedly robust. My son had left his Scott hybrid at home while he was in London (wanted something less nickable) and I took it out for a few spins, feeling quite smug at doing five miles on it, then seven, then ten. I decided to get more serious.

I was doing session work in a recording studio and mentioned to the engineer that I fancied getting into cycling and was looking at bikes. The engineers little eyes lit up with evangelical fervour. I still feel a sense of shame at the way the music was instantly ditched in favour of scouring the net for a bike when we were supposed to be laying down sensitive keyboard arrangements.

But he knew his stuff. He advised me to forget about the flash gear for now and find out first of all what sort of cycling I would settle into. Living in Cumbria I had visions of going off the beaten track along forestry trails, armed with camera and lenses searching for elusive and shy wildlife. He steered me away from suspension (cost too much for proper tackle) disc brakes (cost too much again) and persuaded me that the bike I wanted for now was a Sirrus Sport from my LBS which was in the autumn sale. I went round a few bike shops but ended up with the Sirrus. Once I found out what I wanted, then I would get something a bit tasty.

9 months later, 2 stone lighter, I spend a lot more time on the road and less on the trails than I thought I would. I've clocked up 1700 miles (would have been more but for one or two setbacks) and now feel the day is not complete without at least 13 miles on the bike round a favourite route which includes some 13% gradients. Well, this is Cumbria.

I fancy something like a croix de fer, or a GT grade AL105. Or maybe a Cannondale Synapse.... except that I really really like the Sirrus. I'm very comfortable, I get up to 35 mph on it which is near enough to hooliganism at my age (66 in July) and I'm having a job persuading myself that I'll enjoy cycling more on a dearer bike.

My mate tells me that I'm a label snob (he has a Bianchi Cameleonte so he should talk) but I do get wistful when I see someone sailing past on something exotic.

Meanwhile I'll just carry on getting more and more nerdy about tiagras, 105s, Mavics, SRAM, etc.

Ern1e

Über Member
Hi and welcome I for one woud not worry about which one of the choices you have listed because you may just end up with all of them lol,owning multiple bikes or so I have found is quite normal for most of us on here ! talk about one for every day of the week.Also well done on the weight loss and mileage.

OP
OP
Bicykell

Bicykell

Thanks so much for the warm welcome - de-ageing - great description!

One other conundrum I wish I could solve is how to motivate my wife to get on a bike and share the exhilaration, the joy of sailing along the fell side from Cumrew to Castle Carrock, after the long grind up from Armathwaite. It's a feeling that people have been trying to duplicate with chemicals for ever, and it's free, it's even healthy.

She says she is too old and the bike she has (a horrid Townsend I won in 1992) is perfectly good enough if she decides to give it a go. I can hardly ride the damn thing myself.
She refuses to consider the idea, and being her husband, I obviously am lacking in common sense. But she is missing out. Big time. If I could get her on a decent bike for 5 miles she'd be hooked.

Any suggestions welcome. I'd force her at gunpoint into the LBS if I thought it would help.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Thanks so much for the warm welcome - de-ageing - great description!

One other conundrum I wish I could solve is how to motivate my wife to get on a bike and share the exhilaration, the joy of sailing along the fell side from Cumrew to Castle Carrock, after the long grind up from Armathwaite. It's a feeling that people have been trying to duplicate with chemicals for ever, and it's free, it's even healthy.

She says she is too old and the bike she has (a horrid Townsend I won in 1992) is perfectly good enough if she decides to give it a go. I can hardly ride the damn thing myself.
She refuses to consider the idea, and being her husband, I obviously am lacking in common sense. But she is missing out. Big time. If I could get her on a decent bike for 5 miles she'd be hooked.

Any suggestions welcome. I'd force her at gunpoint into the LBS if I thought it would help.
Could always go for a tandem.:okay:

the_craig

Über Member
Hey

I'm new to cycling after being 'forcibly ejected' from my bike by a car as a daft 13 year old laddie.

I recently bought a Specialized Sirrus and almost fell off the bugger when I stamped on the pedal - what a machine. So I'm trying to get rid of the gut and get a bit thinner too.

Just thought I'd share this as my first post.

Howdy! :hello:

OP
OP
Bicykell

Bicykell

Hey the_craig, nice to hear from a fellow Sirrus rider up there in wind turbine land -at least that what it looks like from this side of the Solway....
There's a thread on this forum about cycling, dieting and weight loss, some saying that cycling alone won't take weight off. Did for me. I still like a glass of wine, good food, just cut back on the chockie biccies and Snickers, but that's not dieting.
Don't know how far you are along the weight loss route, but I find that I lose a bit then hit a plateau where I ride for 20 miles and find I've put a pound on after burning off 1000 calories. Then suddenly, whoomp, a few more pounds off with very little effort.
I am also constantly being reminded by my wife that the gut is the last thing to go. Which is a bugger as it's the first thing I wanted to go.
So best of luck. Ive gone from a 36 to a 32 waist and was so chuffed I nearly got chucked out of M&S for being noisy.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
She says she is too old and the bike she has (a horrid Townsend I won in 1992) is perfectly good enough
How did you win it? Was it exemplary session work above and beyond the call of duty? Spile troshing? The fabled Cumbria Cull Competition (target shooting with the goal of thinning the herd of tourists)?

being her husband, I obviously am lacking in common sense.
I have the same handicap.

I nearly got chucked out of M&S for being noisy
M&S have a strict policy about excessive merriment.

the_craig

Über Member
Hey the_craig, nice to hear from a fellow Sirrus rider up there in wind turbine land -at least that what it looks like from this side of the Solway....
There's a thread on this forum about cycling, dieting and weight loss, some saying that cycling alone won't take weight off. Did for me. I still like a glass of wine, good food, just cut back on the chockie biccies and Snickers, but that's not dieting.
Don't know how far you are along the weight loss route, but I find that I lose a bit then hit a plateau where I ride for 20 miles and find I've put a pound on after burning off 1000 calories. Then suddenly, whoomp, a few more pounds off with very little effort.
I am also constantly being reminded by my wife that the gut is the last thing to go. Which is a bugger as it's the first thing I wanted to go.
So best of luck. Ive gone from a 36 to a 32 waist and was so chuffed I nearly got chucked out of M&S for being noisy.

Ha ha. "Wind turbine land" - They are everywhere. But we do have plenty wind up here, so why not take advantage.

As for losing weight, I do enjoy the odd beer and fish supper but even after a week, I have had to tighten my belt a couple extra holes. Hardly scientific but I do feel better. But I'm one of these guys that can't run due to dodgy joints but in my case it's my ankles

And the Sirrus, what a bike!

And thanks for replying. I think I'll like it here...

OP
OP
Bicykell

Bicykell

Yes I've had a look at Arragons but they don't have one in 51cm. The ltd looks tasty.

I won the Townsend off Paul Simon. I saw him writing something down in the pub when I was singing a song wot I wrote called "like a midge over Brotherswater" and next thing you know...so I sees him and I says "oi! Simon!" And he saw me, threw his bike at me and ran away. So I kept the bike. Well fairs fair.
I left the Tourist Cull scheme. Too many forms. No end of trouble if you shoot one with a beard.

Top Bottom