You know who you are!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Went out in the car today to do a reccie for a route for my first ever 100 miler. Somewhere to the East of Cirencester (near Coln st Aldwyn) , we ended up on a narrow little single-track lane with very few suitable passing places. That was when we came upon him .... at first we thought he was a young lad, he looked so frail. By the time I'd been stuck behind him for a mile or so, I could tell it was actually a MAMIL, though he looked about 14. Stick-thin legs and full lycra white kit. A very small man who appeared to be suffering from small man syndrome, and was determined to hog the road.

Followed him at 15-20mph for at least 2 more miles, always about 12 feet behind him. He was over towards the left side of the road the whole time, but never quite close enough to the edge for a car to be able to get past. Every turn I was due to make, yep ... he made it too. Every single time there was a grassy "passing place" or a farm entrance, he speeded up slightly to prevent me from getting past. In all, this carried on for over 3 miles. At one point an oncoming car pulled over to allow me through and flashed his lights. At exactly the same place there was a suitable pull-in for the cyclist to move into, but no! By now he could not possibly have been unaware of my presence. Rather than appreciating the patience I had shown, he kept going out of his way to avoid having to pull over to let me past.

He could not possibly have hoped for a more patient and cyclist-tolerant driver than me to be behind him. I am an Audax UK member and a local cycle club rider , and I know just how badly some car drivers act towards us. But this guy took the biscuit. That anyone could turn both me and my wife of all people, into seething, snarling, foul-mouthed and potentially aggressive yobs is quite an achievement. As usual, however, none of this translated into either of us actually giving him a piece of our minds, and I eventually just gave up and took a different turn from him. .... but what an annoying t**t. If you live near Cirencester and you recognise him from the description, tell him from me what I think of him ..... and you might add that the last time I saw a pair of legs like that they were hanging out of a nest.

Last edited:

Fubar

Guru
Nobbers everywhere.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
How do you hog the road on a single track lane with very little passing points ( your words)

Seems to me he was ensuring he was safe and not allowing a close pass on a single track lane at 15-20mph which could have put himself and you in danger, especially with oncoming cars

OP
OP
Donger

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
All very amusing, but actually I backed off every single time there was a chance for him to pull over. Any reasonable person would have appreciated the patience I displayed. This guy was the sort of nobber who gets all of us hated by drivers everywhere. When I say 12 feet behind him, I mean at least that, and with my right wheel almost off the road, waiting for a wide enough stretch to be able to pass him safely. I could actually have squeezed past dangerously on 5 or 6 occasions, but that's not me. I never expected him to pull over quickly, and fully appreciated the road conditions, but this was totally ridiculous behaviour. What the devil on my shoulder really wanted to do was squeeze past, emergency stop, and fling his bike (or him) over the nearest hedge! Being probably 3 times his body mass, I appreciated that this might not show me in my best light to any passers-by.

Top Bottom