Your bad Hotel Experiences.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
One of ours was a 1 night stay in Dublin.
The Ferry people recommended and booked us in a Mrs Sharkey's.
The bedroom carpet was one that you definitely wouldn't stand on except in shoes.
The bed sheet was so worn that she had cut it down the middle.......turned it and stitched it up (so the worn parts were now at the edges.
When we went down for breakfast she shouted to us "you can't go in yet......it is too busy". So we waited till a couple came out then we were ushered in........to find just one other couple in.
We sat at the designated table and she went to the left over toast (from the previous couple)........put it on our table and said "let me know if you need more".
She asked "do you want a full Irish" to which we said "yes"...........when she brought it.......it was one small sausage, on slice of fatty bacon, one hard fried egg, 1/4 of a tomatoe........and that was it.
It was on of those surreal situations where we knew it would be no use complaining as she was totally oblivious plus it was (fortunately) just for the one night.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Id have checked out on seeing room..
had a crap stay in the Radison Brussels..5 star with 2 star rooms ..

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The only hotel in Novopolotsk in Belarus was crap in a funny way. They only had about 10% of the menu available and there were prostitutes wandering around the hotel

Almost all hotels in China have been great but one actually had bed bugs and I kept waking up with red, itchy sores on my hands and face (ie they were in the pillow). Got out sharpish when I realised what the problem was

But the worst of the lot was Travelodge Middlesborough that a load of us stayed in for a junior football tournament. It made the Belarus place look salubrious

Edit: there was another in China. Hotel was OK-ish but it was full of middle-aged Korean women (it was a popular tourist destination for them). They proceeded to run up and down the corridors past midnight shouting while I was trying to sleep. I got fed up and went to talk to them but they didn't understand English or Chinese. So it went on. In the end I banged on my room door....but it was a cheap crappy door and my fist went through the panelling. Cost me about £20 for a new door

Last edited:

ScotiaLass

Guru
I stayed in a small hotel in central London when I went down to see my daughters passing out parade at Knightsbridge Barracks, which she booked for me as it was cheap....for good reason it turned out!
The room was disgusting; filthy carpet, bed didn't look much better (I slept on top, in my clothes!), the door didn't lock and neither did the toilet/shower door, which was on a corridor.
A family in the next room were up until about 3am talking and being noisy, with a tv blaring (sounded like they were Chinese).

I got out of there at 7am and went to my daughters room at the barracks, where I had a shower and breakfast in the canteen.

Mrs Sharkey's breakfast reminds me of an old joke.

A man walks into a B&B's breakfast room and orders.
Cold instant coffee with curdled milk.
Lumpy cold oats with burnt bits
Black bacon and runny egg with the "runny" referring to the white part.
A sliver of bony kipper gill.

"But sir, we can't possibly do that".

"Why not, I had it yesterday without even having to specify the details."

The only hotel in Novopolotsk in Belarus was crap in a funny way. They only had about 10% of the menu available and there were prostitutes wandering around the hotel

Almost all hotels in China have been great but one actually had bed bugs and I kept waking up with red, itchy sores on my hands and face (ie they were in the pillow). Got out sharpish when I realised what the problem was

But the worst of the lot was Travelodge Middlesborough that a load of us stayed in for a junior football tournament. It made the Belarus place look salubrious

Consider yourself fortunate. In some hotels you pay extra for things like that.

Mrs M

Guru
We stayed in a lovely timeshare in Orlando a few years ago. We only had it for 10 days so had to find a hotel for the remainder of our stay.
We checked in and went up to the room. It was disgusting, dingy grubby carpets and furniture, ants in the sheets and the remote control bolted to a table. We had a pool view but we couldn't see anything out of the filthy windows :sad:
We checked out :smile: and went to our old "honeymoon hotel" :wub:
When we said we'd stayed before we were given a lovely room with a pool view with wee rabbits hopping around in the garden.

TVC

Dublin, a suposed Boutique hotel in Ballsbridge for £150 a night. Cobwebs, broken bulbs, mould in the bathroom and a blood stain on the valance

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Consider yourself fortunate. In some hotels you pay extra for things like that.

I've had the phone calls offering "massage" many times while in Chinese hotels.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
In Trelew, Argentina 10 years ago. Hotel last decorated sometime in the early 1970s. Pool shut, chef gone home, scruffy room that stank of fags, he showed me to a room on another floor, "best room in the hotel," it was just the same. I had to be honest with him and tell him I just didn't like his hotel. Looked at another few flop houses before settling on the best of a bad job. Funny old town that one.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Girlfriend's hotel in spain 25 yr ago had a lift with doors that opened But no lift!!!
She told the Hotel...ahh yes they said we will look into it..not uncommon apparently..

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
When I was 21, I went slumming it round Mexico with a friend. One night we checked into a very cheap "hotel" in Acapulco. The blankets on the beds were a bit greasy but we were on a tight budget. About an hour after falling asleep, I woke up sensing that something was wrong so I turned on the bare bulb dangling from the ceiling . My bed was covered with hundreds of very large cockroaches which had emerged from a hole in the ceiling and were falling down into my blankets. Even after a frantic roach pogrom with a sandal, I spent the rest of the night on sentry duty.

dst87

I obsessively check TripAdvisor before booking any hotel, so I've never had a really bad experience (certainly nothing compared to what some of you have had).

The worse experience I had (and I'll sound like a right snob here) is when I decided that all I needed was a cheap night in Edinburgh so despite saying I'd never stay in one again, I booked a Travel Lodge. Never again! Uncomfortable, dingy, and just a crap experience. But no bed bugs and everything was new and modern. Give me a Premier Inn any day next time I need a cheap room!

Top Bottom