Your best ride ever (so far)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
So where was it, was it your best because of the location, your performance, the company or some other reason.

For me, a ride from Helmsdale through an area of Scotland called Sutherland.

It was an emotional end to a big ride (I was crying at one point), I felt bionic, superstrong and in really great shape...and the area was just beautiful.

Not as beautiful as some other rides that I have done but made especially attractive through the perspective of achievement and emotion.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
This one:
https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/f...&t=15592&p=613412&hilit=lake+mountain#p613412
It was my longest ever ride so far, the scenery was spectacular, and it was a full day (I left at 5am and got home at 8:30pm).

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I'm much more of a road rider than a mountain biker but my best day of riding was MTB in the Sierra Nevada mountains, southern Spain on hired bikes with a guide. This followed closely with several MTB days at Whinlatter Forest trail centre in the Lake District. Both locations are stunning.
My best road ride was coast to coast Morecambe to Bridlington, we were raising money for two charities, Cancer research UK and Martin House children's hospice. It was all very emotional at the end as I had recently lost my dad to cancer and my good friends had lost their baby daughter.

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
Probably the ride I went on the day my dad passed away.
Got a call from my sister in the middle of the night, "that's it".
Expected, (he'd hung on :wub:) but still a shock.
Mr M insisted we go out on the bikes as soon as we got up.
Really didn't feel like it but he was right, can't really explain, just got my head together in the best possible way.:bicycle:

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Probably the ride I went on the day my dad passed away.
Got a call from my sister in the middle of the night, "that's it".
Expected, (he'd hung on :wub:) but still a shock.
Mr M insisted we go out on the bikes as soon as we got up.
Really didn't feel like it but he was right, can't really explain, just got my head together in the best possible way.:bicycle:
Its interesting what makes a ride "good". its not always the things we imagine will.

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

screenman

Legendary Member
100 mile off road across Lincolnshire in the pouring rain with my eldest son, some sort of Lincolnshire Police fitness challenge.

Hopefully my best ride is still yet to come.

AnneW

Über Member
My first Manchester to Blackpool.

My friend persuaded us to enter, I'd not cycled more than 25 miles before and that was on flat a bike trail. We only agreed because we'd had a few drinks :smile:

I was mid 40s and very over weight. When we reached the first incline a young girl got off her bike to push and received derisive comments about her weight from some Lycra clad fellas...... After that there was no way this fat lady was getting off....

It took me 7.5 hours... My hubby stayed with me all the way bless him (he can do it in much less) and our friends had finished hours before but had waited patiently. They cheered me over the finish line.... I cried.

That was the day that cycling claimed me.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
My LEJOGLE in June 2012 on my Surly LHT. Nice weather, lovely scenery. Britain at its best. 1875 glorious miles.
You rode back?

My helmsdale was at the end of my lejog experience (many great rides on that trip)a lot of people text me to congratulate me and many of them joked that now all I had to do was ride home. My mate (who rode with me then too) and I were both thinking how much we would actually love too. We wanted to throw in our jobs and find a way to make a living by spending all day riding instead. It felt wrong to be sitting in a coach an hour later.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
My first Manchester to Blackpool.

My friend persuaded us to enter, I'd not cycled more than 25 miles before and that was on flat a bike trail. We only agreed because we'd had a few drinks :smile:

I was mid 40s and very over weight. When we reached the first incline a young girl got off her bike to push and received derisive comments about her weight from some Lycra clad fellas...... After that there was no way this fat lady was getting off....

It took me 7.5 hours... My hubby stayed with me all the way bless him (he can do it in much less) and our friends had finished hours before but had waited patiently. They cheered me over the finish line.... I cried.

That was the day that cycling claimed me.
Awesome, I love that story.

Top Bottom