Your best speed on descent ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I've only been a roadie for a few weeks & I've managed to Garmin 39 mph on my boardman. It wasn't the steepest hill around really either. I'm looking to break 40 mph soon.

Any tips on speeding up on descents, I've tried pedaling & ducking my head on the bars so far.

paul04

Über Member
My best is 43.5 mph. type it into the search box, quite a few threads on this, like this one
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/best-down-hill-run.127788/#post-2397131

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've only been a roadie for a few weeks & I've managed to Garmin 39 mph on my boardman. It wasn't the steepest hill around really either. I'm looking to break 40 mph soon.
56 mph or 90 kph. I was trying for 60 mph or 97 kph. Actually, if I'd realised how close that was to 100 kph, I'd have gone for that.
Any tips on speeding up on descents, I've tried pedaling & ducking my head on the bars so far.
Yes - watch where you are going! :thumbsup:

I hit a raised manhole cover on my record-breaking attempt, chinned the bars, bit a chunk out of my lip and nearly splattered myself across the road! :eek:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Only 37 mph, on a hill in Llandegai near Bangor in North Wales once.
No hills steep enough around here for me to have a go at beating that :sad:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It all depends on the terrain and your cajones, some folk just do not have one or the other or even both so as long as you enjoy it why worry .
As i get older i am definitely losing the later as demonstrated on club runs when i take it easier on unknown descents compared to others.
Fastest i have been i think was 46 mph locally and i can hit about 38 mph with panniers on my commute down here if its a clear road and i have the legs..

http://goo.gl/maps/DPPoL

goody

Veteran
The ride I went on today has a big descent so I looked on Strava and it says maximum speed 58.6mph which is rubbish (as in not correct, not not very good!) so GPS based devices aren't that accurate maybe? Bike computer says 46.6 which seems about right. Highest I've seen is 47.5mph. If I could find a bigger hill I'd like to crack 50 but all the hills round my way go up.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Once, and only once, have I managed to break the 50mph barrier, and then only just!
It was on my Tricross loaded with a rear saddlebag while doing the Way of the Roses east to west. I diverted slightly off the route to get to my B&B in Grassington, and it was on a long descent somewhere to the east of Grassington.

400bhp

Guru
50 down rivington with an old trip computer. I'm pretty sure I have been down the same hill faster when I have had the garmin on but on two occasions I was gunning it, the magnet worked loose and I goyt a big fat zero mph..

Venod

Eh up
One of my old bikes used to develop a shimmy at speed, its no fun when it happens at 46mph going down the south descent of Holme Moss,

Top Bottom