Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Mr WD saw this tiny baby mouse on the path yesterday. it is sitting on top of a small leaf. It was so tiny. I don't think it was old enough to leave the nest. I have no idea why it was on its own. MR MD picked it up and put it into the undergrowth to try to keep it safe.
20150715_100358.jpg
20150715_100412.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
Our factory is on the edge of the fens, the workshop looks out onto a grass field on which you'll often see 50 or 60 rooks, crows and jackdaws feeding all at the same time, turning over the loose grass cuttings looking for grubs etc I assume.
7.30, I wandered out and there's a black shape on the grass just in front of a car that's parked....I wander slowly up. its not moving...its a crow or rook, head tucked in like swans do, apparently fast asleep...
20150717_071345_zpsklrmj5pq.jpg

I'm stood literally 3 feet away from him...my camera takes the photo with a click....and said crow / rook jumps out his skin and leaps / flies 10 feet away and looks at me as though to say...WTF !!!!! :laugh::laugh:
20150717_071350_zps1plcbnuf.jpg

Poor old thing, must have frightened the life outa him...
T'was a rook of course...

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
The rabbits around here are clearly intelligent. On our walk this evening, one ran out of the field where it was being chased by a fox and into the path of my dog. By the time the dog had blinked and thought about it, the rabbit had vanished into the hedge. It clearly knew the difference between predator and bumbling idiot.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
our lot "2 male blackbirds and 1 robin, in addition to the usual tits) have worked out how to hover on/under/at the bird fat feeder and are consuming the fat like it is going out of fashion. It is great fun to watch, but the fat gets expensive after a while. I do have a seed feeder as well which we keep with sunflower hearts in it but I accidentally purchased a 12.5kg wild bird seed this time around and they are not impressed. They eat the sunflower seeds from it and 1 other item and leave the rest or throw it out on the floor, so if there is anyone in this area (Northwich, Cheshire) who wants 12.5kg of wild bird seed, it is free to a good home. They don't eat it, so there is no point in feeding it to them. :sad:
I gave up feeding mixed seed - the sparrows choose what they like & chuck the rest on the ground. Then mostly it grows...

IMG_3699.JPG

Taken after I had moved it to a safer place than where it was - it nearly got clobbered by my sold secure gold bike lock! It had slid down a steep bank and was teetering on the edge of falling into an area that only mice/squirrels and things that can fly can get out of and was head deep in dead holly leaves when I 'found it'. It had to be moved for its own safety. I will check on it later, to see if it has moved. I'm not sure how healthy it is really, (2 of the 3 pictures I took of it had a blow fly on it and as you can see there is a spiders web around its eye. I'm not even certain it should be out of the nest yet, but its parents know where it is and are still feeding it.) Fingers crossed.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I've been extracting compost from one of my dalek-style bins this afternoon. I know that the wood mice live in this one but I thought they'd hear me dragging stuff out of the door at the bottom and head out of the way for a while. I got some compost out but got to the stage where it needed a poke from the top. Took the lid off, poked around with a spade and terrified one of the mice who leapt out and ran off into the undergrowth. Another mouse popped up for a look so rather than frighten it any more I put the lid back on and got on with taking compost from the bottom.

A while later a tiny, dazed looking mouse tumbled out of the bottom door. I think it was a baby that didn't really know how to get around. It stumbled about the patio for a few seconds before I picked it up and put it back inside the bottom of the bin so it could climb back in. And that was the end of collecting any compost.

The wood mice family have had a rather traumatic afternoon!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I met a friend this afternoon at the cafe in Heptonstall village above Hebden Bridge. After coffee and cake, we set off up the cobbled climb from the village. I got way ahead and waited at the summit, thinking how windy it was. I was looking back down the hill to see where my friend was, when a movement to my side caught my eye. I thought it was vegetation getting blown across the road, until the 'vegetation' started circling my bike at high speed before eventually running back across the road, clambering up the dry stone wall opposite, and jumping off into the long grass on the other side - In fact it was a pair of weasels. I'm not sure if they were male, female, or one of each so they could have been spoiling for a fight, playing, or trying to mate. They were nimble little creatures!

Mrs M

Guru
We had a 3.30am alarm call this morning :angry:
The cat had brough a mouse in through the open bedroom window and was "playing" with it under our bed.
I spent a good 10 mins trying to catch it while Mr M and Thomas sat on the bed watching.
Eventually it ran into the little box I was using to catch it.
With the cat watching through the, now closed, window I released the wee mouse beside the shed and it hopped away under it to safety. Lucky escape.:smile:

[QUOTE 3810732, member: 9609"]wildlife you don't want to find at bath time
tick_0929_zpsipambbom.jpg
[/QUOTE]
best time to find it though! I have had to remove one form myself and it wasn't looking at a fingernail! Nor was it that colour... Yuck. So glad I had had a few years of practice first with dogs and that I had through to take the removal tool with me on tour! :giggle:

Top Bottom