Youth World Championships

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
Hi all, bit of a question from a new-to-velodrome sport (watching, not taking part).

We have managed to get championship tickets to the above, and have been really enjoying it, but I'd like clarification of something I can't get my head round and thought here would be a fab place to ask.

During the Points Race, one rider came off, was scooped up and got back on his bike, and rejoined the race (after he'd been lapped by the others). All well and good, he seemed ok. In fact, he was so ok that he managed, a little later, to get a lap ahead of the others and rejoin the back of the peloton, which gave him 20 points.

Why was he entitled to those 20 points, when, in reality, he was just catching up with the others and completing the same amount of laps as the rest?

Thanks in anticipation of any help from you experts out there :biggrin:

Rasmus

Without a clever title
In the bunch races on the track, crashed riders get a few laps (5, I think) to rejoin the pack and still be considered to be on the same pace.

The rule makes sense, I think, as crashes tend to bring down riders who were not at fault, and there's no real chance of being paced back up to a peloton as would happen on the road.

If you stayed until the end and watched the elimination race they actually went one further and suspended the eliminations until the crashers had rejoined.

OP
OP
Phoenix Lincs

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
We did stay and see that, but it was the addition of 20 points on the points race that confused me. Thank you for the info though. We are back again today to watch more. It's very exciting :smile:

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Agreed, very exciting. The points race was amazing, with 5 guys in the mix for silver and bronze at the final sprint. Too bad the Danish guy missed out :sad:

oldroadman

Veteran
It's actually JUNIOR worlds, not Youth, another age group altogether.
Other posters are right, in a points, scratch, elimination race, on a big (400m) track, 3 laps out, on a 250, 5 laps out. You rejoin the race where you left it with no penalty. This can only happen once in a race. The 20 points for a lap gain therefore stands and is correct.
In the elimination race it's normal to neutralize the race for a crash, so everyone can rejoin who is able to, then start the eliminations again. It's of no consequence as the race does not have a fixed distance, which is determined by the number of starters.
Does this all help? Track racing - can be confusing - all these details. Road's much simpler, get over the line first!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Hi all, bit of a question from a new-to-velodrome sport (watching, not taking part).

We have managed to get championship tickets to the above, and have been really enjoying it, but I'd like clarification of something I can't get my head round and thought here would be a fab place to ask.

During the Points Race, one rider came off, was scooped up and got back on his bike, and rejoined the race (after he'd been lapped by the others). All well and good, he seemed ok. In fact, he was so ok that he managed, a little later, to get a lap ahead of the others and rejoin the back of the peloton, which gave him 20 points.

Why was he entitled to those 20 points, when, in reality, he was just catching up with the others and completing the same amount of laps as the rest?

Thanks in anticipation of any help from you experts out there :biggrin:
It also seems to apply to some (all?) criterium races: a short while ago Hannah Barnes had an off, limped to the pits, got a bit of the blood cleaned up, and then, one lap behind, went on to win the race.

Meanwhile, I've only just realised that you if you don't have tickets you can watch the livestreams of the Junior WCs here and catch up on previous sessions as well as watch the live racing here.

This is tonight's schedule:
19:00 - 22:33 ​Men's Sprint - Quarter-final & 5th-8th places
​ ​Men's Omnium - Round 5 & 6, Medal ceremony
​ ​Women's Sprint - Semi-finals, Final & Medal ceremony
​ ​Women's Points Race - Final & Medal ceremony

​​Women's Omnium - Round 3

oldroadman

Veteran
It also seems to apply to some (all?) criterium races: a short while ago Hannah Barnes had an off, limped to the pits, got a bit of the blood cleaned up, and then, one lap behind, went on to win the race.

Meanwhile, I've only just realised that you if you don't have tickets you can watch the livestreams of the Junior WCs here and catch up on previous sessions as well as watch the live racing here.

This is tonight's schedule:
19:00 - 22:33 ​Men's Sprint - Quarter-final & 5th-8th places
​ ​Men's Omnium - Round 5 & 6, Medal ceremony
​ ​Women's Sprint - Semi-finals, Final & Medal ceremony
​ ​Women's Points Race - Final & Medal ceremony

​​Women's Omnium - Round 3

I looked this up, it's all in the BC regs, 20.3.3. But there have been exceptions, Tour Series, Elite Series, Johnson's Womens GP Series and one or two others have special regulations where lap out is not allowed for any reason. It's probably time it was got rid of as well, at races I've been at it's just a load of trouble and gets abused, and the poor old commissaires have to sort it out.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I looked this up, it's all in the BC regs, 20.3.3. But there have been exceptions, Tour Series, Elite Series, Johnson's Womens GP Series and one or two others have special regulations where lap out is not allowed for any reason. It's probably time it was got rid of as well, at races I've been at it's just a load of trouble and gets abused, and the poor old commissaires have to sort it out.
Yes, I think it was the Tour Series when it happened. But, all the same, she earned that victory! Great courage, and probably an awful lot of adrenaline. :smile:

OP
OP
Phoenix Lincs

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
Another great day at the Velodrome. Apologies for misquoting the age range, it is the Juniors. I stand (or lay) corrected. #longbuthappyday. Now back at the hotel for sleeps before tomorrow :smile:

Noodley

That's what the Commissaires are there for.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
For reasons which I don't understand the link to live streams I posted up before is not showing the live racing. This one is though.

Today's schedule:
11:30 - 12:27 ​Women's Omnium - Round 4
​ ​Women's Keirin - Round 1 & Repechage
​14:00 - 16:54 ​Men's Sprint - Semi-final, Final & Medal ceremony
​ ​Men's Madison - Final & Medal ceremony
​ ​Women's Omnium - Round 5 & 5, Medal ceremony
​ ​Women's Keirin - Round 2, Final & Medal ceremony

I see the young German rider, Jan May, got beaten yesterday. It must be a disadvantage when your surname arrives 4 months after your first name....

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Another exciting day! Feeling rather dizzy after the Madison but had a wonderful time.

Looking forward to the September event in Manchester :smile:
I only watched in on live streams but the Madison seemed far madder than usual. That was twice that the faller ended up watching his bike complete another half-lap without him.

oldroadman

Veteran
That's what the Commissaires are there for.
On which basis I don't suppose you have been/are a commissaire? The ones I meet all seem very straightforward and want to do a good job, but have to contend with (my personal observation) blatent cheating by some riders and teams, and I've heard them take abuse for it. All for expenses. Just like organisers and other volunteers, they are the backbone of the sport at national and regional level, and deserve proper respect. Even if (like me) you do get fined/penalised/relegated at times.
I still stand by what I said though, the laps out rule is daft and the racing at the rounds of the Tour Series and Elite Series I saw were better racing without it. It's funny how brakes never rub or things don't come loose or wheels get "knocked across" - all things I have heard listening from behind the pits and that have been mentioned by mates who are now commissaires, when there are no laps out, odd that...
Think I might have a go myself.

Top Bottom