GPS Navigation - What are people using?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Earlier version of Garmin Edge 1030 (now the 'Plus') https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/704417

I really wanted something with removable batteries but compromised, the bike mount seeming more secure than that of 'walking' gps units by Garmin. Having said that, I use the unit more for walking (country and town) than I do on the bike.
- it generates routes for you
- will search by postcode/address
- automatically shows the nearest towns in a list
- list facilities nearby (shops, tourist stuff etc)
- map gives choice of how much detail to show
- get a choice of what sort of surface you want to travel on - gravel, road etc
- lets you avoid major roads in its calculations
- estimates your time of arrival/how far you have to go to your destination
- easy download of www.cycle.travel generated routes (I use a usb cable because its handy for me)
- loads of interesting fun stats and info even for me given I have no interest in training or competition.
- incredibly flexible screen set ups, as little or as much as you want - this is just great
- security and safety features for bike and person
- built in clock/timers (elapsed time is handy for leaving car in car park and not overrunning time bought)
- time of sunrise and sunset every day (knowing sunset is super useful)
- for offroad it runs the TrailForks app but I have never used it
- heat map (can be turned on/off) of road/path usage so you can pick a popular path (or not if keen on peace)
- from the Garmin site you can load other apps of variying usefulness

Been really happy with it overall and will replace it with the same again, if it needs replacing.

Had it about 3 years now. Never run the battery flat, even with a 9 hour ride with the screen lit.

Downsides:
- 'take this turning' arrows are white, large and clear, but the 'you are here arrow' is tiny and black. Have asked Garmin to improve this for those of us with sight issues but they did not even bother to reply.
- price - I put my own money to a group whipround for my birthday (thanks lots folks, its been a wonderful gift)
- Instructions are not fantastic for setting it up, use the internet/youtube
- not really suitable for those who dislike initial complex setup of computers/technology as its a very sophisticated device that needs quite a bit of time to first set up and then some further adjusting to suit once you have got the hang of it. Once set up fully, its straightforward for routing, I have never much explored the sports and training sections of the device.
- lots of beeps to attract your attention to turns, training etc. Annoying until you learn how to turn the ones you dont need off.
- no way to increase memory, which longterm is a real shame. I already have a very long list of places I have marked as personal destinations.

I take it with me most times I leave the house as for me, its just so handy for so many things, esp as I choose not to use a smartphone.
I don't bother with Garmin Connect in any form other than to update the maps. Its a pretty stand alone device and as said, if I want to do a route by others or one made by me I download one of the many format options from www.cycle.travel.
The sat nav can fully caluculate its own routes using its maping and location search if you just want to get to a final location. It even offers to avoid hills :-) if you don't want to puff.

What I would IMPROVE in a perfect world? :
- range of sounds it can make, they can sound too similar, would be nice to be able to allocated sounds
- easy to replace battery
- upgradable memory
- better 'you are here' software arrow on the map
- quality of Garmins set up instructions
- Garmins own brand of silicone case (extra purchase). Most 3rd parties give better case coverage

Oh, and budget in a glass protection screen for when you drop it, as well as a protective silicone case - the thing is too expensive to be casual about extra protection, but I would buy this stuff for any expensive bike computer.

Overall, excellent and flexible for walking, riding, car (if passenger does the calling out of route)

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Earlier version of Garmin Edge 1030 (now the 'Plus') https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/704417

I really wanted something with removable batteries but compromised, the bike mount seeming more secure than that of 'walking' gps units by Garmin. Having said that, I use the unit more for walking (country and town) than I do on the bike.
- it generates routes for you
- will search by postcode/address
- automatically shows the nearest towns in a list
- list facilities nearby (shops, tourist stuff etc)
- map gives choice of how much detail to show
- get a choice of what sort of surface you want to travel on - gravel, road etc
- lets you avoid major roads in its calculations
- estimates your time of arrival/how far you have to go to your destination
- easy download of www.cycle.travel generated routes (I use a usb cable because its handy for me)
- loads of interesting fun stats and info even for me given I have no interest in training or competition.
- incredibly flexible screen set ups, as little or as much as you want - this is just great
- security and safety features for bike and person
- built in clock/timers
- time of sunrise and sunset every day (knowing sunset is super useful)
- for offroad it runs the TrailForks app but I have never used it
- heat map (can be turned on/off) of road/path useage
- from the Garmin site you can load other apps of variying usefulness

Been really happy with it overall and will replace it with the same again, if it needs replacing.

Had it about 3 years now. Never run the battery flat, even with a 9 hour ride with the screen lit.

Downsides:
- 'take this turning' arrows are white, large and clear, but the 'you are here arrow' is tiny and black. Have asked Garmin to improve this for those of us with sight issues but they did not even bother to reply.
- price - I put my own money to a group whipround for my birthday (thanks lots folks, its been a wonderful gift)
- Instructions are not fantastic for setting it up, use the internet/youtube
- not really suitable for those who dislike initial complex setup of computers/technology as its a very sophisticated device that needs quite a bit of time to first set up and then some further adjusting to suit once you have got the hang of it. Once set up fully, its straightforward for routing, I have never much explored the sports and training sections of the device.
- lots of beeps to attract your attention to turns, training etc. Annoying until you learn how to turn the ones you dont need off.
- no way to increase memory, which longterm is a real shame. I already have a very long list of places I have marked as personal destinations.

I take it with me most times I leave the house as for me, its just so handy for so many things, esp as I choose not to use a smartphone.

What I would improve in a perfect world:
- range of sounds it can make, they can sound too similar
- easy to replaceable battery
- upgradable memory
- better 'you are here' software arrow
- quality of Garmins set up instructions
- Garmins own brand of silicone case (extra purchase). Most 3rd parties give better coverage

Oh, and budet in a glass protection screen for when you drop it, as well as a protective silicone case - the thing is too expensive to be casual about extra protection, but I would buy this stuff for any expensive bike computer.

I prefer the eTrex mount to the older Edge mount- not tried the quarter-turn ones. No tabs or latches to break off, whereas I must have replaced near double figures of the Edge mounts on the four bikes. That said, both Edge and eTrex have survived multiple trips on scooters without issue.

Once a 'permanent' internal battery packs up, I suggest asking a phone shop or computer shop that replaces tablet batteries to replace the battery for you, as these folk have a lot of experience in getting into 'sealed' devices.

Alternatively, source your own battery replacement and give it to said people (if they cant source a battery in their own stock) or use a youtube video and replace it yourself - it the unit is dead, you have little to loose if you accidentally break or damage it replacing the battery, as the unit is on its way to the recycling bin anyway.

Last edited:
I prefer the eTrex mount to the older Edge mount- not tried the quarter-turn ones.
Mine has a sort of twist mount, presumably the same as quarter turn? So far been solid (famous last words now.... :-).

Its easy to move the handlebar mounting to another bike as its held on with tensioned O rings, so it can just be unhooked.
The unit bit of the mount on mine is pretty flat, so easy to stick the GPS unit in a pocket. I can't recall the design of the eTrax now as I last looked around 3 years or so back. I remember them as nice units and was tempted by a 'walkers' unit due to the AA batteries. It was hard to decide which way to go at the time, as I knew no one who had either design, so could not test anything out.

As long the fabric is not too dense, my unit will continue to track and record even in a bag or pocket, which is handy if you are on a walk, or just security conscious and don't want the unit on public display. Maybe all GPS can do that, I don't know, not used enough to tell.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Mine has a sort of twist mount, presumably the same as quarter turn? So far been solid (famous last words now.... :-).

Its easy to move the handlebar mounting to another bike as its held on with tensioned O rings, so it can just be unhooked.
The unit bit of the mount on mine is pretty flat, so easy to stick the GPS unit in a pocket. I can't recall the design of the eTrax now as I last looked around 3 years or so back. I remember them as nice units and was tempted by a 'walkers' unit due to the AA batteries. It was hard to decide which way to go at the time, as I knew no one who had either design, so could not test anything out.

As long the fabric is not too dense, my unit will continue to track and record even in a bag or pocket, which is handy if you are on a walk, or just security conscious and don't want the unit on public display. Maybe all GPS can do that, I don't know, not used enough to tell.

Yep, that's the quarter-turn.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Once a 'permanent' internal battery packs up, I suggest asking a phone shop or computer shop that replaces tablet batteries to replace the battery for you, as these folk have a lot of experience in getting into 'sealed' devices.
This is what I do. I had an old Edge 200. I sourced a battery off the bay then took to a local high street shop who changed it over for a tenner.

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

I prefer the eTrex mount to the older Edge mount- not tried the quarter-turn ones. No tabs or latches to break off, whereas I must have replaced near double figures of the Edge mounts on the four bikes. That said, both Edge and eTrex have survived multiple trips on scooters without issue.

My eTrex mount always rattled. I used to sandwich a sock with the toes cut off between the eTrex body and the handle bar to dampen the vibration. I used the mount for a few rides but noticed it had developed a substantial crack. I suppose it's best part of 20 years old so I'm not going to hold that against it.

I bought a RAM holder for it and several of the matching mounts for the holder. No issues yet. Just the annoying workflow, small screen and it being a bit hard to see when wearing tinted glasses.

geocycle

Legendary Member
The case for replaceable batter has reduced in the last 5 years or so as most new head units will last a day or more on a charge. For multi day tours it is usually possible to charge up over night or from a power pack. I’m in the wahoo camp which as others have said ‘just works‘ if your use is plotting a route on something like cycle.travel and following on the headset. Routing on the fly is possible via your phone although the Garmins do that in the headset. I’m also using black and white maps which are fine as long as a road and river aren’t confused! My impression is that the mapping options on the more recent Garmin are stronger and they have become more reliable since I jumped ship.

Top Bottom