£££££s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willo

After getting into my cycling a little more I recently invested in a new road bike. However, I am finding that buying the bike was just the start of spending £s. Whilst I knew that would be the case to a degree, I was probably a little naive in that I'd just hop on the bike and would upgrade later as money permitted when I had some more experience. However, given the below, I'd would welcome some guidance on what folk view as a sound/essential investment, as opposed to 'nice to haves' that can be picked up as finances etc. permit.

I've invested in a new, stronger lock and paid for secure cycle storage at my local train station, which I saw as my first priority. However, a week into owning my new bike, below are a couple of examples where people are telling me that I need to spend some more £s in the short term (money that I hadn't planned to spend, just yet anyway)......

- Tyres. On only my second short spin, I got a flat rear tyre this morning. I am hopeless at anything close to hands-on mechanical work, so replacing the inner will be good practice for me. However, cycling colleagues and a shop near where I work are now telling me that I need to invest in more expensive tyres unless I want punctures every week (I have whatever comes as standard on the basic Specialized Allez). Is the accepted reality that £500-600 of bike means the tyres are rubbish, and I need to splash out if I'm to avoid being late for work on a regular basis, or have I just been unlucky in getting a flat so early.

- I am looking into some race blades as per some of the guidance on the winter cycling thread. I'm not too bothered about me getting wet/muddy but if race blades really do protect the bike sounds like they'll be a sound investment?

Many thanks

ChrisKH

Guru
Problem is with anything you buy, there's always something else you can get.

I think you have been unlucky with the tyres; I only had to replace my Specialized basic ones because I split them on a ride. I would fix the puncture and see how you go. If the punctures persist, then consider new tyres. Wide variation in views on what is best. I have Gatorskins.

If you are going to be using the bike all winter, mudguards of sorts would be a good idea. Loads to choose from. I have (as many others do) the new(ish) Crud road bike guards which can be fitted in about ten minutes. Search 'Crud' on this forum -there's plenty that has been written. Also look at the Crud website.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Willo said:
- Tyres. On only my second short spin, I got a flat rear tyre this morning. I am hopeless at anything close to hands-on mechanical work, so replacing the inner will be good practice for me. However, cycling colleagues and a shop near where I work are now telling me that I need to invest in more expensive tyres unless I want punctures every week (I have whatever comes as standard on the basic Specialized Allez). Is the accepted reality that £500-600 of bike means the tyres are rubbish, and I need to splash out if I'm to avoid being late for work on a regular basis, or have I just been unlucky in getting a flat so early.

I don't know what tyres come on your spesh, so can't comment on those specifically.

My Giant SCR2.0 came with Kenda Kontenders, which were grippy, but incredibly puncture prone (to the point where I'd go out with 3 or 4 tubes, expecting to use most of them). I put 350 miles on them though before making that descision. Personally, I'd stick with the stock tyres and see how you go.

Do keep them at a good running pressure (to avoid pinch flats) and do watch what you ride through. If you do decide to replace them, Pro Races are the next best thing to buying new wheels, imo. Not as tough as some, but tough enough, and a joy to ride.

- I am looking into some race blades as per some of the guidance on the winter cycling thread. I'm not too bothered about me getting wet/muddy but if race blades really do protect the bike sounds like they'll be a sound investment?
Race Blades are better than nothing. Personally, I ride with full guards, year round - if your bike will take them, and you're planning to ride in all weathers, I'd rock those, personally. SKS Chromoplastics are the way to go here.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I think you've just been unlucky to be honest. The std tyres that come with most bikes are usually OK.... not brilliant, but OK, and as long as you keep the pressure up and avoid riding over broken glass you should be OK.

If you want to splash out on more puncture resistance, that's up to you, personally I'd just make sure I had a spare tube, a repair kit and knew how to use it. When the tyres are done then look at upgrading.

Raceblades/Guards are purely personal. I dont bother as I'm not convinced that they make "enough" difference. If its raining, you get wet anyway. As to the bike, make sure you clean and lube it regularly guards or no guards.

And you missed the biggest expenditure..... another bike. Give it 6 months and you'll realise that no matter what bike(s) you already own, the need to aquire at least 1 more will be setting in :rolleyes:

rh100

Security is essential, spend what you need to/can afford on a decent lock IMO.

As for tyres, I spent a fiver on a track pump from Lidl's and keep the tyres pumped up to max. It works for me at the moment, but I only have a short commute so can push it in if I had to.

I have always got something I need to repair or replace for better. But the way I see it is that £100 can buy quite a bit for a bike - but would only pay for one tyre on the car. So keep it realistic and it shouldn't cost a fortune.

iacula

Were your tyres really pumped up 100psi ish? I think new tyres are worth the investment. Similar to you I bought the cheap end Trek they came with very basic tyres result; 2 punctures in 30 miles, though I was unlucky no doubt. Since investing in Schalbe Marathons, not "plus" just ordinary, only one punture in 1500 miles.

RedBike

Sadly most tyres that come with bikes arn't the best. It's one area thats often used to cut costs.

Unfortunately, puncture protection adds weight and increases the rolling resistance of the tyre; This is why most cyclists accept the odd puncture in return for a cheaper, better handling and quicker rolling tyre.

I would go for a tyre like Conti' Ultra gator or bontrager hardcase and accept the odd flat. However, if avoiding puntures is top priority then go for something like the Specialized Armadillos. You can get various belts / slime inner tubes etc to add a bit more punture resistance to your existing tyres but i've never really had much luck with these systems.

Race blades wont keep the crap off the bike. You need full length mud-guards (search for sks). SKS guards wont fit on every bike. I couldn't tell you if they will go on the Allez or not.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Basically the wallet needs plenty of exercise in the opening and closing dept and definitely needs to shed some weight if you are to become a "serious" cyclist.

Remember you are building up to splashing the cash on something like these beauties

Bought an Abus Granit 54 plus lock and am glad I did. Some little shoot tried to nick my bike yesterday but there was no way he was going to get through that lock, plus the cable lock I had around my front wheel.

It was £53, an absolute bargain and has the best bracket I've seen on a lock.

Davidc

Guru
I think you've got your priorities right. Security first, to at least a level where your insurers won't quibble if it is nicked.

I agree with those above who say keep the original tyres for the tme being. They won't be as good as some of the others mentioned, but you'll be unluky if the p things go on at your starting rate.

Of other things - lights which will get you seen and mudguards would be my priorities. A couple of ££ on slap wraps or similar to help visibility at this time of year might be worth thinking about too, as well as some warm and waterproof clothes if you don't already have them.

You can (and probably will) spend far too much on cycling, and most of it is nice-to-haves not essentials.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Kestevan said:
Raceblades/Guards are purely personal. I dont bother as I'm not convinced that they make "enough" difference. If its raining, you get wet anyway. As to the bike, make sure you clean and lube it regularly guards or no guards.
Ok attitude for summer... but who wants to be covered in the noxious filth that increases on the roads as the winter progresses?

potsy

Rambler
I dread to think how much I've spent already this year,2 bikes plus lots of add ons=£££s
Tyres for me were the best upgrade,M+ for the hybrid,Conti 4 seasons for the Secteur.
Raceblades are better than nothing but won't keep your bike clean,will stop you having a big stripe up your back though:smile:
Next you'll need overshoes,better lights,pedals,shoes etc
Happy spending:smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Willo, one thing: When you fix the flat, make sure you look carefully for the cause. If there is a bit of glass or a thorn embedded in the tyre, and you just put a new or fixed tube in, it will puncture again. So, when you take the tube out and find the hole (inflate a little, then run it through a bowl of water and look for bubbles, unless it's big enough to see straight away). Then, look at where the hole is on the tube. If it's on the outer edge, something came through your tyre. Note the position of the hole relative to the valve and look at that place on the tyre (if you can remember which way round the tube was, otherwise, check that area both sides of the valve), or if the tyre had got rotated when you took it all off, run your fingers carefully round the inside of it to feel for anything sticking through. If you find it, get it out - gentle digging with the point of a knife from the outside, or tweezers, will do it.

The other thing that can happen, is that the head of a spoke is poking through the rim tape. If you find the hole on the inside then this might be the problem, so check the rim for anything sharp or poking through, and if you find it, get it covered up (sticking plaster might do it?)

I'd say persevere with the tyres. If you get lots of flats, then change, but this one might just be bad luck. As others have said, keep them well pumped up, and try to avoid any glass or debris on the road.

OP
OP
Willo

Willo

Many many thanks for the replies - really useful to get some balanced views and make sure I invest wisely.

In terms of the tyres, I'm tempted to upgrade as I probably would prefer robustness over performance (for the time being at least). However, I'll give them a bit longer. If it proves to be a regular occurence a new set of tyres will be the next priority (particularly if they pay back over time by reducing the number of tubes I have to replace!).

Given that I'm totally useless with anything remotely technical, I really need to learn how to change the tube etc. for myself so have bought a couple of new tubes and will force myself to learn at the weekend in the comfort of home, so I'm better prepared when I have the problem and am too far out to push the bike. To that end, an early puncture has probably done me a favour (see, my new bike keenness means I'm trying to turn a negative into a positive:biggrin:!).

Thanks all.

p.s. thanks Arch, posted above before seeing your reply but really useful advice

Top Bottom