£102.30

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
This is how much train fare I've saved since 11 January - £4.65 daily x 22 bike commutes.

Wife berated me for spending £500 on a new bike just before Christmas. She now thinks its money well spent.

Although money was not my motivation for bike commuting, it just goes to show how a little adds up over time.

dudi

It does indeed!
I save about £7 a day in petrol and parking.

Been doing that for 4 years...
Approx 238 working days a year, after holiday deductions.

£1666 saved. and my work is only a couple of miles from my house. if you work further away it must save a packet...

I'm sure i've spent more than that on bikes and bits in that time though... but hey ho, at least i've got something to show for it!

Debian

I know, isn't it good?

I used to refuel the car at least once every two weeks at £35 a go when I commuted by car, it's now six weeks since I last refueled and I still have half a tank.

That + the wear and tear saving has got to add up to at least £50 a month saved by cycle commuting, probably more like £70 so I think I've saved £140 over two months so far :rolleyes: xx( :thumbsup:

I just have to persuade work to get the CTW scheme going and I'm well away :biggrin:

potsy

Rambler
Debian said:
I know, isn't it good?

I used to refuel the car at least once every two weeks at £35 a go when I commuted by car, it's now six weeks since I last refueled and I still have half a tank.

That + the wear and tear saving has got to add up to at least £50 a month saved by cycle commuting, probably more like £70 so I think I've saved £140 over two months so far :rolleyes: xx( :thumbsup:

I just have to persuade work to get the CTW scheme going and I'm well away :biggrin:
I'm trying to do the same but not getting anywhere unfortunately.If it's not making them a profit then it's a no go.
At least they provide indoor space for bike parking now,few years ago all bikes were outside and were always getting nicked.
I've got quite an economical car but was still putting maybe £50 a month of diesel in,now it's a fill up every 8-10 weeks:biggrin:

Norm

potsy said:
I'm trying to do the same but not getting anywhere unfortunately.If it's not making them a profit then it's a no go.
That's easily resolved. If you buy a bike worth £1,000, they will "profit" by around £350. :rolleyes:

Commuting by bike doesn't make much difference to my travel costs, unfortunately. Nor does it save me much time. It does allow me to get a bit of exercise in though, without which I'd weight about 20 stone, so that's great.

Good for you guys - make sure you save the money and don't let it evaporate out of your pockets.

Debian

potsy said:

Norm said:
That's easily resolved. If you buy a bike worth £1,000, they will "profit" by around £350. :rolleyes:

Yes, I was going to say the same as Norm.

Unfortunately in my case it's not so straightforward, we can't reclaim VAT on purchases so the savings are nowhere near as great xx(

potsy

Rambler
Norm said:
Surely I save the £350 and not the company? Or have I got it totally wrong? Will have a chat to a few of the regular cycle commuters this week to guage interest if the scheme was to be implemented.

davidg

I havent been cycling in so I could probably post an amount that I have spent rather than saved!

just having trouble getting back into it post Xmas with the cold and the like. Also I am training for a triathlon so after an hour's run one day, cant be bothered to cycle the next....

shocking stuff

Tynan

Veteran
hmm, I like to think I must save although two wheel rebuilds in the last few weeks has set me back £130 and tyres and brakes are a fairly regular expense plus a cassette/chainwheel/chain replacement and some odd bits and bobs, plus clothes

I suspect it's not as much as most of us think over a year

health and not having to take part in the shoving and pushing of the commute

and most days a genuine feeling of pleasure and enjoyment, most days

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Costs me around £3000 pa to commute by public transport.
Although that can be cut down by around a grand if you pay the whole cost at once.

shippers

potsy said:
Surely I save the £350 and not the company? Or have I got it totally wrong? Will have a chat to a few of the regular cycle commuters this week to guage interest if the scheme was to be implemented.

Your employer doesn't have to pay National Insurance on a chunk of your salary, together with reclaiming and keeping the VAT on the cost of the bike.

mark i

My commute (I also use the train on the way in) costs around £500 pa. Fuel in the car would cost around £1000. There is the bonus that as I cycle in we are a 1 car family rather than a 2 car family so we save the outlay of the car, innsurance, VED, servicing etc.
The real bonus is that I only lose 10 minutes on the way in, and due to increasing congestion don't lose anything on the way home, so it is "free" exercise time. Net effect instead of weighing 15.5 stones and trying not to eat too much, I now eat whatever I like and weigh around 13.5 stones.

Top Bottom