£110 folder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I got the 16" version (near as dammit) from Morrisons for £60. This testimonial struck me as pretty balanced and accurate.
I'd not recommend it to everyone, but for anyone who's happy maintaining their own bikes I reckon it's a good deal. A bit heavy, but if you only need to carry it onto/off other modes of transport that's no great issue.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Ah. That almost makes them sound worth buying, for those awkward 'if only I had a folder' moments. I mean, £60!

I'm aware of the horror that is the BSO, but these don't look as if they fit into that category.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Chuffy said:
I'm aware of the horror that is the BSO, but these don't look as if they fit into that category.

Having put it together (including a lot of disassembly and re-greasing etc), I'm happy that mine doesn't qualify as a BSO, but I think a lot of cheap bikes are merely one poor assembly away from such a fate. Similarly, I spent a couple of years working as a mechanic in a LBS, and we sold a lot of very cheap bikes that would out-perform and out-last a lot of the more expensive but incorrectly assembled bikes that got brought in for maintenance.

GrahamG

Guru
I'm similarly tempted, but there's still the young man in me that won't be seen dead on a folder. Mind you, I'm 30 next year by which point that part will be dead and I'll stop caring - still want a pimpy looking red one though :biggrin:

Chuffy said:
<sigh>Look Dom, I know it's a lot of money when you've got a scratchcard habit and the kids are screaming for Maccy Dees but not all of us are in that position. :biggrin:
..........................yet!

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I got a (new) used cheapo Apollo from the free ads. I compared it to the Morrisons supermarket bike and it's a bit better. Mine only has single speed (which is great for chucking it in and out of the boot) The plastic rear mech on the supermarket bike will most likely break if manhandled. I use mine to haul my photo gear about down towpaths and local beauty spots. It is surprisingly useful.

Top Bottom