£30 fine for no lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sim2003

Most of those unlit riders are your everyday people that just pop on bike to get to work, mates house, pub, girlfriends, boyfriends, bit of late shopping, see the dealer whatever. Everyone on here already loves cycling as a hobby/life choice and doesn't need advice etc as we already come looking for it.

Maybe once the country as a whole decides cycling is a effective mode of transport then others will view it and treat it seriously too.

As for the fine part. Maybe it should be more of a fine/heres some lights be on your way sort of thing

Dan B

Disengaged member
[QUOTE 3928539, member: 45"]So you know of an example then?[/QUOTE]
You're asking me for an example of not having seen something? Sure, I didn't see it this morning.

My point was that all (at least, the vast majority) of police vehicles I see are on their way to somewhere, often with blue lights on, and are - probably quite reasonably - not going to be late to their appointment with a knife fight just so they can stop some hapless driver to tell him to put his lights on. I'm quite sure that if they were just idly driving around then they'd have a word, but when do they have time for that?

Dan B

Disengaged member
[QUOTE 3928809, member: 45"]I don't think that's an accurate comment.[/quote]
It describes my experience accurately.
[QUOTE 3928809, member: 45"]
I've flagged down police cars. I've been in cars pulled over by the police. I've also seen police on duty to catch bus lane drivers pull in drivers for using a mobile. I've stood with a friend on duty to stop people parking on zigzags outside a school pull over drivers for speeding and using their phone. There are plenty of clips on youtube of passing police getting involved in incidents.[/quote]
from which we can conclude only that your experience and my experience are not the same. When you say "I can't imagine a situation where a police car comes across a driver at night with no lights on and doesn't pull him over" all I'm saying is that I quite easily can imagine that situation.

[QUOTE 3928809, member: 45"]Besides, your argument is null because if it's so then it also applies to cyclists.[/quote]
I don't have an argument. I'm just making an observation counter to your own: the police are very busy and I can quite easily imagine circumstances in which they would not bother to pull a driver with no lights, just as I regularly see them not pulling drivers who are on the phone or road users of all kinds who drive through red lights. No biggie.

Top Bottom