£5.95 wasted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bought "Cycling Fitness", yesterday (spur of the moment buy) mainly for the advertised "Ride 100 miles by March", what a waste of money,not much in the magazine and then today I got February's Cyling + through the post and in it was an insert "Ride Fit" which is far more useful than the whole of "Cycling Fitness". Ah well I will never learn that I should avoid "Smiths" . By the way can anybody recomend a mag with a full list of bikes and their spec. I will be after a new bike come March / April. I fancy a hub geared touring bike that I can use as a general purpose bike, top notch £1,300.

Steve H

Large Member
Agree - the winter edition wasn't that great. Surprised me, because the summer and autumn ones were pretty good. I am following the 'ride 100 miles by March' plan. So far, so good, but could easily be put off track if the weather turns really bad.

potsy

Rambler
Agree - the winter edition wasn't that great. Surprised me, because the summer and autumn ones were pretty good. I am following the 'ride 100 miles by March' plan. So far, so good, but could easily be put off track if the weather turns really bad.

I hope that isn't total miles Steven, if so maybe you could lend CJ your copy :tongue:

Steve H

Large Member
I'm thinking of publishing my own "Get fit for cycling guide". It will consist of the following advice -

1/ Go out on your bike.

2/ Keep repeating the above.

It's gauranteed to work, tried and tested over the years and at only £2.99 a copy I reckon it's a bargain.

Stick in a couple of photographs of a bike and a big red arrow pointing back to 1/ and you could have a winning formula there!

Blue

Legendary Member
I'm thinking of publishing my own "Get fit for cycling guide". It will consist of the following advice -

1/ Go out on your bike.

2/ Keep repeating the above.

It's gauranteed to work, tried and tested over the years and at only £2.99 a copy I reckon it's a bargain.
Ah, the training philosophy of the late, great, Fausto Coppi, "ride your bike, ride your bike, ride your bike". I follow it to the letter, much to the disdain of Mrs Blue!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
You don't need a magazine to get you up to 100 miles by March. Just get out and do as many miles as possible as regularly as possible. You don't need to have a near 100 mile training ride to be able to do 100 miles. Anywhere around sixty miles achieved comfortably will do as the last ride before you do 100 miles.

As for bikes, your budget restricts you to to the 11 speed Alfine hub with a bottom gear of 35" a little high for my liking but manageable. The dawes Nomad springs to mind as probably the only UK off the shelf solution.

There's a lot available on the continent. See this thread on the CTC forums.

There's one or two that meet your budget requirements even after shipping charges though a test ride is ruled out.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
you don't need books and magazines, if you want to know anything ask on here we have all been there and done that

Veron I had thought of the Dawes Nomad as I allready ride a Kharakum but I dont need the front panniers and I would like disk brakes . I also looked at the Trek Soho but canot find a spec for a 2012 model or how much any extra's will cost. All so looked at the Ghost, but thought it may be a little too Germanic, though I realy fancy the Alfine hub . Both you and Blue are right about the training but the soding weather up here at the moment is damp and windy in three varitys Bad very bad and Bugger me.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Every few weeks I have an opportunity to browse the cycling mags on the shelf in the supermarket. Yet to find anything in them to justify the cover price.

vernon

Veron I had thought of the Dawes Nomad as I allready ride a Kharakum but I dont need the front panniers and I would like disk brakes . I also looked at the Trek Soho but canot find a spec for a 2012 model or how much any extra's will cost. All so looked at the Ghost, but thought it may be a little too Germanic, though I realy fancy the Alfine hub . Both you and Blue are right about the training but the soding weather up here at the moment is damp and windy in three varitys Bad very bad and Bugger me.

Looks aren't everything.

Until the summer before last I was an avowed Dawes Galaxy/dropped barred touring bike advocate. One one fateful tour, the drop out of my Galaxy fractured in Orleans. I could have spent time trying to find somewhere that could repair the drop out or I could source a new replacement bike.I must add that the Dawes was due a complete drive train replacement, would have needed a frame respray and possibly a new wheel with the year so when i found a Decathlon flat barred tourer with hub dynamo lighting and a rear rack in a ready to ride condition for 400 Euros, I bought it despite it having unconventional looks.

It proved to be a sound purchase. The comfort was equal to that of the Galaxy and despite fatter tyres I was covering the ground at the same average speed as I had done with the Galaxy

Over the past three years I have done most of my touring in France and Germany and there's barely a dropped barred tourer to be seen and when one it, it's usually pedalled by a Brit. I have grown lo like the appearance of the continental tourers and was increasingly drawn to Rohlhoff hubbed bikes though I remained unconvinced of their merits e.g. weight advantage, simplicity advantage and managed to talk myself out of owning one when talking to a pair Rohlhoff hubbed owners in Switzerland though I was intrigued by a belt driven Rohloff hubbed dutch built tourer. It's owner was full of praise for it. He had rim brakes but had upgraded them to magura hydraulic brakes which he claimed were as good as disc brakes.

In the background to all of these events, my local bikeshop was building their prototype belt driven Rohloff hubbed bike. I was taken to the inner sanctum to see it in it's naked metal form and it looked nice. I was promised a test ride when it was finished and I took advantage of the offer in October. It was eyeopening. The XT rim brakes were the most powerful rim brakes that I've used and were more than up to the job of hauling my carcase to a halt.

I paid a deposit on one at the end of November and I'll collect it in March.

It will look like this though it will not have the S&S couplings on the frame and the seat and down tubes will have white panels to relieve the monochrom nature of the current paint scheme.

6472016169_c7018ddf08.jpg
As for the weather - it's just as 5hite here in Leeds as it is in your neck of the woods.

That is a nice looking bike, also looked at the Rohloff gears but for my needs (under 5k a year) the price would not justify the use. I did change my flat bars on the Kharakum for Butterflys now I see the new models have them fitted as standard.

vernon

That is a nice looking bike, also looked at the Rohloff gears but for my needs (under 5k a year) the price would not justify the use. I did change my flat bars on the Kharakum for Butterflys now I see the new models have them fitted as standard.

I went for the Rohloff because it has a lower bottom gear. I intend to up my miles to justify the expense. I also intend to be still riding it twenty years after my first ride on it.

Top Bottom