£50 kamikazi Duck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
While cycling along the River Tyne yesterday, heading home in the pouring rain, along from the Vickers Tank factory heading down river (cycle path) towards the Millennium Eye Bridge, minding my own business (quite enjoying the cooling rain) then WHAM! A Duck shot out from my right hand side and slammed into my right chest / shoulder area.

I immediately slammed on the rear brake(More with total fright than knowing what I was doing) and side swiped (ala speedway style) one of the many lamp posts that adorn that area, bouncing off that and spinning around to face the opposite direction in which I was travelling.

I noticed Mr Kamikazi Duck flip himself over from laying on his back, flapping away like mad, then took to flight, screaming duck abuse in my general direction as he did so (I even laughed and said to myself “ yeah same to you too”). Deep breath a little shaken by the experience but not hurt, about 30 seconds passed before I dismounted my bike to push it near the railings so I could gather myself a bit more before progressing on to home.

Back wheel is not moving, infact its jammed solid, rear deraillur and cassett totally trashed into eachother, no way of riding this home, rings mate to come pick me up, waited 30 minutes in the pouring rain for him to arrive, not a good way to end what was a very enjoyable ride until then.

Bought New rear mech (shimano Alivio M410) and 7 speed cassette today and not much change left from £50, not even enough to buy some take away crispy duck this evening as a sort of revenge! Never mind I had a enjoyable uneventful 25 mile running in ride today after repairs ;).

Norm

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
You might enjoy this tale of fowl deeds too;

The Cyclist, The Guv'Nor, and the Pheasant

Garz

Squat Member
Amusing story!

Next time go prepared with some hoi sin or orange sauce and try get him in the spokes! :biggrin:

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Sitting Duck, are you ok???
Have you recovered???
Better watch where your going next time;)

Top Bottom