£500 to spend and v confused - please help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoolio

Hi,

I've been reading loads about bikes for weeks trying to work out which bike to get but don't seem to be getting any further forward in making a decision so thought i'd take the plunge and post to you guys.

I've just moved to north devon and would like to get a bike mainly for the road, 90% of the time, but also for a few trails. i'm looking for a hard tail really but any suspension i'd rather could be turned off if it's on the front wheel only. whilst i would like some off road capabilities i would like to be able to cover good ground on normal roads. i'm 6'2'' and in fairly good shape.

Any ideas please on what's good now? i'm more than happy to go for 09 stock - i like a bargain. i've looked at merlin malt 1 - but is that too much of a mountain bike, a focus northern lite - again is it too much of a mountain bike, a scott sub 20, a cube overland, Cube LTD CLS Pro, felt qx 80, decathlon rockrider 8.1, trek 7500 hybrid, Trek 2009 7.5 FX Hybrid Bike,

There's so many choices i'm really confused - any help would be truly appreciated so i can get outside and get riding asap.

Thanks

raindog

er.....
If you are going to ride 90% on roads and want to "cover good ground" I'd definitely stear clear of anything with suspension. A good quality hybrid sounds like what you want.

tmcd35

I got the Felt QX75 (2009) yesterday and I must say so far I'm impressed with it. Went out on my first spin this morning and effortlessly got her over 15mph on the flat. I'd have been knackered puching my old full sus MTB to 10mph on the flat!

Norm

Whilst I kinda agree with Raindog, I have a Giant Talon and love it. The Talon 2.5 is generally about £475, the Talon 2 is about £550.

I used it down in North Devon and on Dartmoor during the summer. It's pretty heavy compared to a road bike, though, as are most bikes with suspenders.

Although it has lock outs on the front, I leave it unlocked most of the time, even on the road, as the surfaces are so crappy that I prefer the smoother ride and will sacrifice a little lost energy.

Anyway, if you are cycling for fitness, it's good to make it harder, right? ;)

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Clearly depends on what sort of trails you intend going on. I have a road bike and an old rigid MTB for the odd time i go off the highway. I just did a quick 12 mile loop on the MTB as the country roads are wet and muddy here today and although i kept my speed up it was not a pleasant experience. Sluggish pick up, handling and a load of extra effort to get to the same speed. If i had been on the road bike i would have done 30 to 40 miles. Hybrid or a second hand road bike and cheap MTB if you are 90% on the road would be my view.

Ivan Ardon

I'd be eyeng up a tourer or something like a Specialized Tricross. Low enough gears for Devon, fast enough for roads and tough enough for the few tracks you want.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Unfortunately no one bike does everything.For a first bike that has to be multipurpose then a hybrid bike is probably the way to go for the money.

With the steep hills in North Devon go for a triple chain ring.

My bike is a hybrid ,it doesnt have suspension is quick on tarmac and able to handle forest tracks, canal paths etc provided they arent too rough and stony.

If most of your riding is on roads a heavy bike with fat tyres and unneccesary suspension will soon have you fed up,it will be hard work .

OP
OP
H

hoolio

Thanks for the response everybody.

Raindog - I reckon you're right - no suspension at all is the order of the day as the trails i'm doing are only bridleways and nothing too serious.

tmcd35 - thanks for letting me know about your felt being good. I'm definitely considering the felt qx 80.

Paulus - Thanks for your choice - I'm thinking about the 09 trek 7.5 which is £40 more than the 2010 7.3 but seems to have better components. What do you think?

Norm - I've decided not to go with any suspension. However, having looked into Giant bikes i see can get the Giant CRS 1.0 2009 for under £500 - any ideas anybody on how good they are?

SilentSoulDragon - Thanks for the suggestion however i don't want any suspension at all on the bike - the 10% i will do off road is only bridleways.

Hacienda71 - Thanks for what you've said - it helped a great deal in making my mind up not to have any suspension at all. I never had it when i was a boy going off-road a bit when i was a boy and whilst it was a bit bumpy i lived.

Jay clock -Yep, no extra weight for me.

Ivan Ardon - thanks for the suggestion, it would be the ideal bike to suit my requirements - except for the price. :thumbsup:. The mrs is already fuming that i want to spend £500 on a bike i'm not going to get away with any more, which is a shame really as my cousin who i'll be riding with would struggle to keep up with me on that thing as it looks rather tasty.;) Are there any 09 models going cheap anywhere?

So it looks after much searching that it's going to be between:

The Giant CRS 1.0 or 0 2009

Giant Seek 3 2010

The Kona Dew Deluxe 2009.

Scott sub20 2009.

The Trek 7.5 or 7500 both 2009 - yes i know i said no suspension but a friend of mine has the 7.5 and the tyres are inflated to 110psi and i've read reviews on the trek website that say you feel every single bump on the 7.5 and the bike can get uncomfortable as a result.

The giant seek 3 & crs 1, kona dew deluxe and scott sub 20 have hydraulic brakes - are hydraulics gimmicky? Will the other bike components suffer as a result?

I know i've lots of questions but there's so much choice!

Ivan Ardon

You may be able to pick up a Tricross second hand for your budget, however Bike Shed (who have shops in Barnstaple, Crediton and Exeter) are selling a perfectly serviceable Tourer for £399.

Have a look at bikesheduk.com - follow the links to clearance bikes.

Top Bottom